Bill Cotter

A look at the end of the Fair

I think its the Pavilion of American Interiors too taken from the Parade Ground. The foreground looks like concrete with no curb, then a single street with benches both sides (not the divided highway look with the grass strip down the middle). I drew a line on an aerial photo from the flag pole to The Fairview apartment building which I think I see in the background to the left of NYS and came up with this. We seem to agree!

The Jane Parker sign in the earlier photographs caused a great deal of distress for Mr. Moses as I recall. The sign was built outside of the fairgrounds and served as an advertisment for the Jane Parker brand line during the course of the Fair much to Mr. Moses consternation. It stood for many years thereafter. I believe it was finally demolished sometime in the past ten years or so.

Yes, it's American Interiors. I had discounted that as the building looks more complete in other shots, but I went back now and looked at some of them again and could make out the distinctive roof of the taller part on this one. Guess I was too tired to think it through last night. Thanks!

Have any of you every noticed that during the Fair, the steps leading up to the front door of the Formica House were slanted so steeply- they look like about a 40 degree angle- as to be totally impractical? Of course they had it roped off and people had to walk up the driveaway to enter another way.

Whenever I get caught up with the scanning backlog, I've got some excellent slides that somebody shot of the interior rooms of the Formica House.

Whenever I get caught up with the scanning backlog, I've got some excellent slides that somebody shot of the interior rooms of the Formica House.

Definitely interested in seeing those, Randy!

It is an interesting photograph and at first glance, it sure doesn't say much for the quality of formica as a building product!

eyeballs ready whenever the pix are!

The Jane Parker A&P sign brings back a lot of memories. I lived only a few blocks from there and we used to play stickball there. Also used the LIRR tracks as a shortcut to get to Shea. I see from recent photos that the AP plant built in '63) is totally gone and all the ball fields off of College Pt Blvd and Fowler (Lawrence St in '64-'65) have been built over with strutures. I still have an Avery Ave and 131st sign (1964 white with blue) which was just adjacent to the Van Wyck. Retrieved them as a kid when a pole got knocked down. Always wanted one of the old bus stop signs but we never got one.

Bill, from the look of the subjects, these pictures were taken later on in 1966 after most of the parties that could afford to demolish their pavilions had already done so. According to what I found when I did the feature on the demolition of the Fair, the bankrupt pavilions were the last to go because the Fair Corp. had to tear them down. The BLB and the Pav of American Interiors were two of them. Really interesting shots. Thanks!

Yes, I believe that batch was from 1966. I have shots from right after the gates closed through the end of the US Pavilion, and will be working on them in no particular order.

Here's a shot of a building I don't think we've seen before, the World's Fair Service Building:

nywf-demo-service-1.jpg

The building was used by Brass Rail, Pinkertons, Allied Maintenance and the World's Fair Corporation. The floorplan can be seen here:

Operations Drawing Manual page for Service Building

There's a bus garage there now. I'm not sure if it's the same building after modernization, but my guess is that the current building is post-Fair. Anyone know for sure?

Here's the entrance to the Service Building:

nywf-demo-service-2.jpg

and a close-up of the sign over the door:

nywf-demo-service-3.jpg

Anyone ever hear of Keppler Bros.? The only reference I could find was for fire extingushers, and it seems unlikely the Fair needed a full-time department for that.

Here's the Main Gate area, not long after the Fair closed. The turnstiles are gone and a chain link fence blocks the way in - except it has a gate and it's wide open. Would that be tempting or what? Three men are walking around inside, but otherwise the place is quite empty, with the buildings still intact at this point.

nywf-demo-gate-1.jpg

Here's the Main Gate area, not long after the Fair closed. The turnstiles are gone and a chain link fence blocks the way in - except it has a gate and it's wide open. Would that be tempting or what? Three men are walking around inside, but otherwise the place is quite empty, with the buildings still intact at this point.

nywf-demo-gate-1.jpg

Bill-It`s funny how certain images bring back long forgotten memories.It was during the summer of 1966 when I snuck through the gates with 2 of my friends to explore the grounds and bring back our World`s Fair experiences.FOr about a half an hour we were on our own through the mainly empty and torn down Fairgrounds.Suddenly a NYPD patrol car stopped in front of us and ordered us into the back of the car.I guess the cops realized we meant no harm and just drove us off the grounds with instructions not to return.It was not until the park reopened a year or so later that we were able to return.Thanks for posting the pictures-Jerry

I believe this is right across from Shea on Roosevelt Ave. I park my car here before Met games.