Sign in to follow this  
Bill Young

The Story of the Models of the Fair

Direct from the archives of the NY World's Fair Corporation, Craig Bavaro presents a detailed look at how the models of the Fair came to be. Stop by nywf64.com to read the story of the facts and figures of "the big model" as it was known, along with the traveling models, Unisphere models and even the stories of the Arch of the Americas and how the model came to be shown at the American Express Pavilion.

It's great, fascinating reading for anyone interested in the Fair's history.

You can find the link to the article from the "What's New" page at nywf64.com

Glad you liked it!

The Queens Museum used to have one of the small tabletop traveling models as part of their world's fair exhibit but I am not sure if it is still on display. If you were to call the museum I am sure they could confirm this for you.

Also, as a follow up as to what might have happened to the big model after the fair I discovered when I purchased a New York City reopening press kit a booklet that contained a floor plan of the building in July of 1966. Sure enough it reflected that right next to the Panorama of the City of New York was the big model of the fair! Now whether this is accurate or not remains to be proven but it would not surprise me if there were someone still at the museum that would know if this is correct and what might have happened to the model if it indeed was there. I had heard a number of years back that it was there for a time but that it was destroyed during one of the remodels of the museum. But also knowing that the museum is notorious for not knowing what they have I would not be surprised to hear one day that it might actually be in storage somewhere and had just been forgotten.

Maybe one of our fellow PTU members in the New York area can look into this and see what they can find out from museum officials?

A few more (early) photos of the NYWF Model - courtesy of Mr. John Pender...

NYWFModelColorSmall.jpg[/attachment:0cf0b]

NYWFModelColorMapKeyDetail.jpg[/attachment:0cf0b]

post-161-1206308354_thumb.jpgNYWFModelColorSheaDetail.jpg[/attachment:0cf0b]

NYWFModelBW2Small.jpg[/attachment:0cf0b]

post-54-1206305317_thumb.jpgNYWFModelBW1Small.jpg[/attachment:0cf0b]

Thanks again John!

Ditto, thanks, John!