Sign in to follow this  
Bill Young

Space Needle Models

Perhaps this has been mentioned before. If so, I apologize for bringing it up again and you can just skip over this...

The other night I was trolling through eBay and I came across a seller who was offering a very high-end model of the Space Needle. I was amazed at the detail and, being the model nut that I am, I bought one.

They offer different versions as it has changed throughought the years.

wo-68-1.jpg

This is the version I purchased. It is the 1962 World's Fair version

Here are some of the other verisons they have:

20-68-1.jpg

ga-68-1.jpg

Their website is

Emeral City Model Works

Their eBay store is Emeral City Modelworks

No, I'm not getting a kick-back

They sell these models in the Gift Shop at the Space Needle, on eBay and on their website. The fellow I've been in contact with is David. The modelmaker is Brian. I wrote tonight to see if they would consider doing a high-end model of Unisphere. Told them that I think there might be a market for a very high quality model complete with the continents and light buckets, spokes to support the orbitals, etc. I think they might even find a market to sell them at the Queens Museum gift shop as well.

6f86_12.JPG

6cff_12.JPG

6851_12.JPG

6995_12.JPG

I paid $199 for the World's Fair model. The later styles of the needle go for around $250 per model. You can read all of the details on their website as far as scale, etc. I believe it is about 10" high, comes on a wooden base and with a glass protective dome.

Randy, if you think the Space Needle is detailed, you MUST go to the website and check out the miniature model of Architect Andrew's stateroom on the Titanic. They are selling this for $25 GRAND! It is unbelievable in detail. The Titanic model that sits on the desk is about 3" long. The stateroom is complete down to books on the desk with stamped envelopes stuffed inside, pencils, telephone, desk lamp. Blueprints of the titanic are scattered around the room. The whole thing is about 10" long. It is simply incredible.

Those really are some beautiful models. It's nice to know that they felt it was worth doing a World's Fair edition of the Space Needle, rather than simply doing one of how it looks now and saying that's good enough.

It would be amazing if they would decide to make one of the Unisphere. While I suppose it could be said that there might be less interest from the general public for the Unisphere vs. the Space Needle (that COULDN'T be said of PTUers though of course), I'd think that there would be people who would want to display a model of this quality of the Unisphere on their desk/bookshelf/mantel... simply because of its beauty. A lot of people display globes (at they used to didn't they?). While a Unisphere model might not be as purely useful as a traditional globe (for pinpointing different cities/countries/rivers/other globe-centric information...), it would have tons and tons more style--what with the open, hollow look, the stainless steel finish, the balancing act on the tripod, and those totally cool rings orbiting it. Who wouldn't want one of those in their den?

My thoughts exactly, Glen. I wrote to David last night and asked if they'd consider doing a model of the Unisphere. I mentioned the gift shop at the Queens Museum and told him that I thought they might be interested in stocking a high-end model like that in the gift shop and asked them to consider persuing a licensing agreement with them like they have done with the Space Needle gift shop. I mentioned PTU and told him that I could think of at least 10 people that would probably be interested in purchasing a high-end model of the Unisphere.

If you, or anyone else out there, is interested like I am, please consider dropping them an email and mention that you are interested in such a model. Maybe if there are enough of us that express an interest, they'll consider doing something like that. The email address that I have been corresponding to is <a href="mailto:sales@ecmodelworks.com">ECMODELWORKS</a> and the fellow I corresponded with is David.

They have an architectural model of the Space Needle as well that has trees, grass, shrubs, etc. I thought it would be neat to see a model of the Unisphere with the surrounding area including the light towers. I would be happy with any model though and would at least like to see them do one with the tension wires that attach the orbitals and small lights where the capitals are just like the original Unisphere at the fair.

"...the miniature model of Architect Andrew's stateroom on the Titanic. They are selling this for $25 GRAND! It is unbelievable in detail. The Titanic model that sits on the desk is about 3" long. The stateroom is complete down to books on the desk with stamped envelopes stuffed inside, pencils, telephone, desk lamp. Blueprints of the titanic are scattered around the room. The whole thing is about 10" long. It is simply incredible."

And not very accurate at all! for 25 thousand dollars they copied a movie set! I do not believe A-36 and A-37 were that ornate at all! Andrews cabin was very likely much like Father Brown's A-37 across the hall - and it is, apart from being white, none too fancy. Average First Class Cabin - nothing like that shown in the A-36 model or Cameron film from what I understand.

MB.

And not very accurate at all! for 25 thousand dollars they copied a movie set! I do not believe A-36 and A-37 were that ornate at all! Andrews cabin was very likely much like Father Brown's A-37 across the hall - and it is, apart from being white, none too fancy. Average First Class Cabin - nothing like that shown in the A-36 model or Cameron film from what I understand.

MB.

Magikbilly, I think they know that and make no claims otherwise. This is from their description of the model...

Stateroom A-36 was an addition to the original design of the Olympic-class series of ships, and was located in the aft first-class entry foyer on the promenade deck. Stateroom A-36, as it was added to the Titanic, replaced its original window to the promenade deck with a solid wall and fold-down berth. In addition, evidence suggests that the woodwork might have been finished in white. Passenger Francis M. "Father" Browne, who disembarked with his camera at Queenstown, had occupied Stateroom A-37 on the symmetrically opposite side of the ship. Father Browne took many photographs of the ship before he disembarked, including the famous photo of a boy spinning a top at the aft-starboard end of the promenade deck (photographed from mid-ship). That photo was taken just a short stroll from Mr. Andrews’ stateroom through the First Class Smoking Room and the Palm Court to the aft, and then a few steps toward starboard. Father Browne also shot photos of his own stateroom (A-37), showing woodwork finished in white.

For our display, we have chosen to retain the original window and have added the fireplace. Electric fireplaces were featured in some first class staterooms on the ship. We have also chosen to follow James Cameron’s conception of the Thomas Andrews stateroom by representing the warm walnut-toned woodworking depicted in a short scene in his film. While not historically accurate, our display box we believe displays our miniature Titanic in an aesthetically pleasing setting, which imaginatively gathers together many elements which made the Titanic such a beautiful ship.

From what they said, it looks like they wanted to give the miniature Titanic and good setting. Their main model is the Titanic itself which is pretty amazing considering the funnels are the size of a grain of rice.

Best,

Hey... That's Bill Young's 1000th post!

The Godfather of 1964 World's Fair websites joins the PTU Century Club on January 7th, 2007!

Welcome, Bill... and as always, thank you for starting and maintaining your fabulous http://www.nywf64.com!

Your grateful friend,

Doug

"...in an aesthetically pleasing setting, which imaginatively gathers together many elements which made the Titanic such a beautiful ship."

Well, that is a matter of opinion. And I can see they are aware of it I find it ridiculious to perpetuate a movie set for $25,000. It is very much the wrong decor - not a minor thing. A TELEPHONE? IN A CABIN? There was no phone from bridge to Marconi Room, yet there is one here? There was one from the Pursers Office to the Marconi Room though ) As in the movie, there is no good reason the correct design was not used, other than it is not "pretty" like the smaller percentage of truly high end First Class cabins were. I guess it does not matter to most - like going up or down the Helicline. Like the photo on the table in the room - it is actually a reversed photograph of Olympic I think in the 1920's.

Maybe it is just me, but I find the folowing absurd and very expensive when one relizes the room does not exist:

"As we step into Mr. Andrews' stateroom, we first notice the warm background of beautifully polished walnut wainscot and millwork that surround the arched window looking out upon the sea. Gilded wall sconces cast an enchanting glow upon the richly colored Edwardian wallpaper. A decoratively bordered parquet floor is overlain with a rich Asian carpet. In this warmly comfortable setting--designed, it would seem, to counteract the coldness of even the Springtime on the North Atlantic--we can see that Mr. Andrews has been hard at work.

The maiden voyage has finally begun, and there are so many details that need reviewing. Strewn about the study are a multitude of projects vying for Mr. Andrews' attention. On his oversized worktable, revisions to the promenade deck are underway. Four additional staterooms can be added if the Ladies' Writing Room on A-Deck is partially redesigned. Sketches for these revisions have been propped on the loveseat for further study.

The table is cluttered with all manner of architectural instruments: a ruler, drafting triangles, dividers, a magnifying glass, even his trusted sliderule. Miscellaneous mechanical parts under evaluation rest precariously near the edge of the table near a snack plate of bread and cheese. A freshly brewed cup of tea with a slice of lemon remains unsipped as Mr. Andrews has been called unexpectedly to address some important issue elsewhere on Titanic.

Under the warm glow of the Victorian electric lamp lie letters and cards brought aboard at Queenstown, some still unread. Reading spectacles lie near the candlestick telephone upon which he might be summoned to the bridge at any time, should his advice be needed. (Really?) More importantly, however, we also see a coathook, a drawer pull, and a knob, all of which merit attention (though they are minor details) if this perfect ship is to be yet further perfected.

The study is cozy and comfortable, thanks in part to the electric fireplace. On the mantle we find a photo of Mr. Andrews' beloved wife and daughter, behind which is a beautiful painting of his second love, the Titanic. Last, but not least, front and center on his cluttered worktable, is his beloved model of the Titanic, to be constantly referred to, and to be gazed at lovingly during his most intense contemplations.

Mr. Andrews may return shortly, so let us take a quietly respectful leave."

Okay, that's it-- now I've officially decided that if I really could ever go back in time to the 39 NYWF--

the first thing I'd do is run UP the Helicline just to tick MB off!

treyuptheheliclineto1.jpg

OW! Those nuns are there for a reason, my son. They will toss you over after beating your hands with a ruler for breaking Fair Law.

I have been meaning to place you and your wife in a '39 photo since I saw that one last week - you have beat me to it

But seriously, those details do matter, as you know.

MB

PS - Trey - you are having a model built - don't you think for $25,000 they should at least know there were no telephones in cabins?

MB, you sound like someone we’d like to get to know! Yes, we knew and know there would have been no telephone in that stateroom. Indeed, there probably would not have been a builder’s model on the Titanic, much less such a model in Andrews’ stateroom, contrary to Cameron’s design of his movie set, which we think included one.

Our first design for the display case was a clear plexi-glass pedestal, period, in a mirror-backed case. We then thought about reproducing a mirror image of the Browne stateroom (white woodwork, upper berth folded up on the back wall, and the rest) and thought that rather dull. There would, in any event, have been no desk or table in the stateroom upon which a builder’s model would have been placed anyway. So we decided to throw historical accuracy to the wind, since a builder’s model in that stateroom would have been historically inaccurate anyway, and go for an invocation of the feeling of the Titanic itself.

We plead guilty to being purists ourselves (for example, the first beauty-shot fly-over of the ship in Cameron’s film shows an upper deck configuration which is a mirror image reverse of the actual plan of the ship!). But that shot always grabs us anyway.

Far from not understanding your concerns, MB, we would be most grateful for any thoughts you might have for the design of a display case which you think would be more fitting for the model. We would have no trouble creating a second (or third) setting for the model as options from which to choose. We really do appreciate your posts!

David & Brian

Emerald City Modelworks