Sign in to follow this  
RocketThrower

Next World Trade Center

I presume being this is a New York World's Fair board, that the majority of members here reside within the state, if not the city of NY itself.

As a kid growing up on the Jersey Shore, we would take rides up to the Atlantic Highlands to peek over to the construction of what I thought was one of the most marvleous structures I had ever had the pleasure to witness being constructed. The Twin Towers. I still have difficulty accepting the fact that they are no longer there.

Living in Oklahoma, I have not been following very closely to what is going on with the site now. Plus the final chosen design has been revised, that I feel I have gotten lost on what is to be it's (for lack of better words) relpacement.

I am curious to know how you local residents (all memebers here really) feel as to how this is being handled and what you think about the chosen design....also if you have any good links or images.

So many designs were submitted. Were any others more to you liking? And why?

I want to follow this project as best I can from where I am. Especially with perspectives from all of you. I thought this would be a great place to discuss. I love other's opinions, outlooks and ideas. So please share.

Hope you don't mind.

Thanks so much.

There used to be a joke about the World Trade towers that they were the boxes that the Empire State building came in. I thought they were rather boring buildings. I only visited the WTC once in 1974 on a class trip. But since they were destroyed, I began to think maybe they were'nt so bad after all and it would be good if they were rebuilt. Bigger and with a better facade. I don't know too many people who like me actually like the Liebenskein "Freedom Tower". Besides being ugly it would only be the world's tallest building because of the 50 or so story uninhabited scaffolding with a big pole on top. World's biggest joke really. According to polls conducted by the New York Post, 50% of New Yorkers would like to see the twin towers rebuilt a majority of the other half want something bigger and better. But Pataki being the mealy-mouthed fink he is picked the design almost nobody liked due to special interest group pressures.

And a pathetic 5 years later: the first beam of the Freedom Tower was recently erected.

It makes you wonder when New York City will issue Al-Quada an apology for building the twin towers in the first place.

I agree, Don.

I don't like the work of any of these new-age famous architects. All zowie, no class.

Now if they made the complex like Rockefeller Center South, I'd be very happy. Fat chance.

Thanks for the Warm Welcome Doug!

I post here now and then, I have visited most often the weekend before Christmas. I had an entire 4 days off for Christmas, so I had some time there. lol

Now...on the Design for the Next World Trade Center, I have to add that what I see as the chosen design is rather dissapointing myself. I did not care for any of the other submitted designs either.

I personally would have loved to see a new version of the old constructed. Maybe a tad taller even. Including twin towers, simple in design very similar to the 1st.

I wonder what the psychological effect of rebuilding them and seeing them would be. I remember reading about how it was apparently suggested Oympic take on Titanic's survivors - it was considered unthinkable by Rostron and Ismay - the passengers, apart from being subjected to another sea transfer, would be seeing a ghost ship - the two were somewhat identical.

I agree the current design is horrid and ugly. I will not broadstroke all modern designers though. It is not surprising that so little has been done at the WTC site - what with people are still arguing about the order of names on plaques and a simple beam seems to present serious logistical problems regarding flag positions that went past everyone there for a while anyway and had me laughing on the floor. It was very telling.

MB

Too many tears, yes all too true but they have to come to an end sometime and the rest of us have to go on living. I hope we don't fall into permenantly mourning death such that we forget how to celebrate life.

Ummm, not to be insensitive to our lost brothers and sisters in the 9/11 tragedy, but who the heck will be willing to go to work in a 1776' tall tower built on the site of the WTC?

Who the heck will be willing to go to work in a 1776' tall tower built on the site of the WTC?

I would...where do I apply?

Hey Rocket Thrower try theselinks for up to date info.

<a href="http://www.lowermanhattan.info/construction/project_updates/freedom_tower_26204.aspx" target="_blank">http://www.lowermanhattan.info/constructio...ower_26204.aspx</a>

<a href="http://www.nyc-tower.com/news-construction-begins.php" target="_blank">http://www.nyc-tower.com/news-construction-begins.php</a>

I too wish they re-built the twin towers. I dated a guy in high school who's father worked on the towers. I used to get construction updates. I remember him telling me how windy it was at the top and scary before the walls were finished.

Every day I drive to work I miss seeing them in the lower Manhattan skyline.

What are the other models of destroyed landmarks? How was this sort of thing handled before? Are there any rebuilt structures that were destroyed (besisdes by natural disasters etc..)?

Thinking and typing in haste here...

MB

All I can think of that approaches this magnitude is the USS Arizona Memorial in Pearl Harbor.

U.S.S.%20Arizona%20Memorial,%20Pearl%20Harbor,%20Hawaii.jpg

Or maybe the Nagasaki Atomic Bomb Memorial.

ctc_02_img0566.jpg

But again-- both of those are just that-- memorials. I don't mean to diminish their importance at all, of course-- but the WTC has to somehow function as both an appropriately moving memorial of its own-- and a new center of international commerce where people actually have to work. As I've said in other ways earlier-- the whole job is just an incredibly tall order to fill-- and one whose complete story will ultimately include the inevitable dissatisfaction of many people.

Hi Trey

Yes, I thought of those as well. That is not Nagasaki but the Hiroshima Dome Memoria I think. I sold a memorial book at R&R last year - published by the Mayor of Hiroshima in 1949 I think. Original photographs tipped in by hand and bound in delicate yellow silk. If I recall correctly, the photographs were taken by a doctor. Incredible horror.

"...the WTC has to somehow function as both an appropriately moving memorial of its own-- and a new center of international commerce where people actually have to work."

Why must both functions must be performed by a single structure, entity or idea? Have they ever been before? I don't know of a comparable situation. Both examples shown here are working living areas - Pearl Harbor still functions and both cities in Japan still breath - and the memorials are basically kept seperate. I find it very respectful that dome - and the whole city was not turned into anymore of a graveyard that we made it. I really think this is how NY should be handled. Incorporating the attack (in the form of a functional memorial building, a name or whatever) - right into the structure keeps the tragedy and horror current, in my mind, and will "freeze" the building architecturally in some way in the larger context of the city and the years ahead. If this structure is actually to serve as intended it will be there for some time, and in 25 years it might be looked upon differenty in terms of emotional reaction. This does not honour the dead to my mind, having commerce transacted on the spot by intent and design. (I am really not interested in a "this day must never be forgotten!!!" speech, if anyone is thinking it..). Having the design reflect the needs of both a memorial and a working environment seems to increase the chances of offending with the design as well. It is not be the best solution IMHO.

Are there any rebuilt structures that were destroyed (besides by natural disasters etc..)?

Two examples that immediately come to mind are the US Capitol building and the White House. They were burned by the British in 1814, and they were both rebuilt looking more or less as they did before...

Two examples that immediately come to mind are the US Capitol building and the White House. They were burned by the British in 1814, and they were both rebuilt looking more or less as they did before...

And I don't think either of these events caused the death of thousands of people in quite the same way. In this context, a rebuild seems quite different.

MB

Just to put a perspective on a couple of things: The Arizona was made into a memorial due to the fact that she was so badly damaged as to not be salvagable. Other battle wagons sunk with many casualities were resurrected and fought again. Hiroshima was contaminated with radiation making it hard to reuse some areas.

Resurrection of battleships was not in any way disrepectful to the sailors who died on them. On the contrary, it honored their service and sacrifice allowing them in spirit to strike back at the Japanese Navy who took their lives in a sneak attack. Message to the Imperial Japanese Navy: ghosts can hurt you when they're pissed off enough.

I see the rebuilding of the WTC site in much the same light. The people who died there believed in free trade, commerce and that they could work hard and go as far in life as they can. I feel we could not honor them more than to rebuild bigger and better so they too can strike back in spirit by what they lived for going on in spite of what happened. By honoring what they lived for we can avange them. I can't think of a stronger message against the filthy cowards in Al-Queda and their ilk that we are not beaten.