Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

Chairman's Look at News Years Eves of the Early 60's

Bravo, Chairman! I was hoping you'd post a good New Year's shot! How 'bout that swanky smoking jacket, eh? And from the look on her face, not to mention the amount of champagne in her glass... I'm sure it was a very Happy New Year for him, indeed! ;-0

1) Look at that table lamp!

2) Taken with a flash bulb, not a strobe light (note blurred motion)

Questions - was this a slide or a print? How much color restoration did you do?

Great

A few Observations....Most people put the trees up late, and kept them till the new year...I see the malls packing it up.They shut the Christmas music of on the 26th..Of course it has been non-stop since Nov. 15th

Since this is pre-Dick Clark..Anyone have a photo of The Great Guy Lomardo and his Royal Canadians... Live From the Delmonico Hotel..Hahah I heard that on a 77 WABC Aircheck..

I am a Post Fair Guy ( How's that for a term..those born after 1964-1965 ) but I am old enough ( 40 Years Old Tommorow) to remember both Dick Clark, and Mr Lombardo on New Years Eve TV. Our TV was with Lombardo till 1976? When was the last time Guy was on TV New Years.

I always though the Dick Clarks Rock'n eve was cheese....The studio portions were always filmed in LA before Christmas..All that phony celebrating.

I do miss the great Dick Clark freezing his butt off high a top Time SQ, going over that years events.( Always with those huge headphones with the antenna, and that huge down parka) ..and then the countdown...Then of course he always kissed his wife.

Glad he made it back last year...but I think we are going to have to settle for Carson Daley, or Ryan Seacrest...yuck....

Seeacrest Out!!! I'll take Dicks Salute anyday

Happy New Year all

those are fantastic!

dick-clark.jpg

I'd have to agree, Ryan Seacrest is a bit tough to take... but from what I understand, Dick will still be making an appearance in this year's countdown. Sad thing is, I'm sure my children's children will probably be moaning over Seacrest's exit some day. ;-0

060107_Seacrest_vl.widec.jpg

Can't say I disagree with you, Bunny. But their career paths are actually pretty similar-- beginning in radio, moving on to television, evolving into producers. And since way back in Dick Clark's day-- TV has always needed its requisite "pretty boys" whose primary job is simply to read copy and look good while doing it. Obviously, Dick eventually morphed into being a national treasure, and for me, Secrest is a woefully inadequate substitute-- but back in the 50's, I'm sure there were there plenty of Rock and Roll hating parents who couldn't stand his predecessor, as well.

I think Seacrest is just a Celeb nothing special, in fact that gig he has on "E" the Celebrity News is just so vapid. Clark however was, and is a Stone Cold Business Man. Early on he had some publishing, and then as he glided free of Payola was forced to give it up. Dick knows the basics of Music...Nothing deep. He certainly knew how to bring it to us...If we could only get him to start releasing some of the stuff in his vaults..Tons of Bandstand, and Where the Action is on DVD Please.

Every year, Dick used to phone into to Howard Stern to plug the American Music Awards. And as usual Howard would start pressing him about certain things. One year Howard asked if he collected Social Security...and Dick said "Yes" Why? Because I paid into it...

if there is one person in TV that i cannot stand, it is Ryan Secrest. i dont understand his appeal, and he is so annoying.

My neighbor four houses down built his own lighted ball and flagpole (about 20 feet tall) a few years ago and erects it every New Year's. He lights it at about dusk and about half the neighbors on the street gather around his front yard at midnight when he lowers the ball. He's usually out there two or three days beforehand testing it. It's a simpler 'suspended from a rope' version, rather than sliding down the pole.

I expect it'll be there when we get home from North Carolina tomorrow.

I'll try to get a picture of it this year and post here.

New Years Eve 1965 with a holiday beehive. Remember home organs? My mother had a similar one where you learned to play by numbers.

1965Organ.jpg

Today's </u> Toledo Blade<u> included an article about Guy Lombardo and his younger sister, Rosemarie Rogers. Rosemarie was a singer in the Royal Canadians. She settled in the Toledo area in the mid 50s and has remained here since. Here's the link to the story for all who are interested: <a href="http://www.toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20061231/ART10/612310305&SearchID=73267645295702" target="_blank">Rosmarie Lombarbo Rogers</a>

Click this link to listen to the Royal Canadians play Auld Lang Syne: <a href="http://www.homegail.com/coppermine/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=2" target="_blank">Auld Lang Syne</a>