Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

Remembering Bob Hope at Christmas

Let's all remember one of the greatest Americans who ever lived, Bob Hope. He gave up being with his family on Christmas from World War II to way past Vietnam to entertain our troops overseas. There will never be another one like him.

bh1.jpg

bh7.jpg

bh8.jpg

bh2.jpg

bh3.jpg

bh4.jpg

bh5.jpg

Bob Hope was indeed quite a guy. I had the pleasure of working with him. He could be even funnier off camera than on, and could warm up by zinging an endless stream of one-liners. I have a lot of his old radio shows on my iPod and enjoy them in the car. One of the best is a rehearsal for a Christmas show that went awry. Everyone got so flustered and laughing that it was really a treat to listen to. I haven't heard of anyone doing a USO show like his. He was one of a kind. Thanks for bringing him up today.

I had a friend who went to Purdue. He told me that when Bob Hope appeared there,

he took time to go to the student uniion and sit around talking to students,

unlike other performers who would blow in and blow out. Seems like he was a real human being.

"Family Weekly" Sunday newspaper insert, March 22, 1964, featuring "My Four-Day Guide to the New York Worlds' Fair" by Bob Hope.

Cover features large image of Hope and the Unisphere.

Included  in the High Point Enterprise (High Point,  North Carolina).

Bob's writers obviously worked on the text, as it's full of one-liners, and has a mention of his TV sponsor.
"It's six miles from Manhattan to Flushing Meadow, and you can get there by car or subway or, if you're in a hurry, on foot."
"So you start off in the Transportation Area at the Chrysler exhibit. If you think I make this suggestion because Chrysler's my sponsor, you're absolutely right."

I have scanned the whole magazine and made it searchable in the Adobe pdf reader.

Family Weekly - Bob Hope.pdf

Another tidbit about Bob Hope. He insisted his monologues be edited strictly for laugh timing, which meant they always contained jump cuts (when some seconds are cut out of a scene without changing the point of view, and the subject jumps from one position to another, even if ever so slightly). This practice is usually anathema to editors, but Hope insisted his audience would appreciate the timing and ignore the jumps.

This was recalled by his video editor, Arthur Schneider, in Schneider's book: Jump Cut - Memoirs of a Pioneer Television Editor. At one point, Schneider was given a gag award by Hope for his jump cut editing.

https://www.amazon.com/Jump-Memoirs-Pioneer-Television-Editor/dp/0786403454/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1543343078&sr=8-6&keywords=jump+cut