Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Come on back to the Fair!

Lori,

You can get a fairly good education about the '39 NYWF at the site below. Floor plans for most pavilions are available there as well as many images in black / white.

As of 4-19-07, over 48,000 views have taken place at my Webshots site.

<a href="http://community.webshots.com/user/draydar" target="_blank">http://community.webshots.com/user/draydar</a>

Ray Dashner

Using the New York City Pavilion and the Ampitheater as the portal links between the two Fairs.

Great concept. Using the game engine, you could have a revolving door at the middle of the entrance to the NYC Pavilion (the revolving door itself might be fun to try to navigate, let alone using it as a time portal) which if entering from the outside and staying 'on board' until it revolves a full 360 degrees, would plant you 25 years back, or forward, plopping you from 1964 to 1939 or vice-versa.

And someday before you retire Lori--

don't forget the outside and inside of the NYC Building also can represent a THIRD period in history-

If you stay on that revolving door and jump off at a 45 degree angle----

you land in 1948 when there was a bunch of flags out front because the building was the headquarters of the United Nations. Inside there were delegates scurrying all over the place. You'd need a map to figure out where the Secretary General's office was located, and so on. But we know that the skating rink room was remodeled to serve as the General Assembly, and it was there that the creation of the nation of Israel was debated and voted on in 1948- a move which still serves as the catalyst for wars to this day.

Oddball question of the day- what did they do with the big model of New York City while the building served as U.N. Headquarters? Was the model still open to the public during that time?

You can get a fairly good education about the '39 NYWF at the site below. Floor plans for most pavilions are available there as well as many images in black / white.

Ray - many thanks for the link to your site. I'll be spending quite a bit of time there for sure!

don't forget the outside and inside of the NYC Building also can represent a THIRD period in history-

Holy fantastic idea Batman! That is something we should definately do - it is perfect. That is going on my planning board when I get to the office.

Great to know you're eventually working your way back in time, Lori! Will be happy to help you with photos from 39/40-- though Ray's site is DEFINITELY a good place to start!

I'm with Bill though, Randy-- I'm not sure there was a NYC model in the NYC building at the first fair.

Con Ed did have an amazing NYC diorama, though-- the world's largest at three stories high and the length of an entire city block!

post-19-125538679161_thumb.jpg

What model was that, Randy? Was there one there at the 1939 Fair?

The one you saw from "helicopters" in 1964.

Maybe it wasn't there for the '39 Fair. I thought it was, and then they updated it in '64, but I might be wrong. I wasn't there in '39, so what do I know!

I was probably thinking of that ConEd diorama. What happened to that one after 1940? Did they destroy it?

Hello,

Hi Ray - very neat site but there are a number of misidentified photographs - if you'd like I can compose a list of corrections. The first page - you have the Dreyfus Democracity identified as GM etc.

Best,

MB

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I was probably thinking of that ConEd diorama. What happened to that one after 1940? Did they destroy it?<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Have always wondered that myself, Randy. Any info, MB?

Hi Everyone

Thought I would post an update as to where everything is right now. We are working on the new website and should replace the current site in July. The entire site will change and we are including several interactive areas which is slowing things down a bit.

But the students have put together a nice intro video for the project that was uploaded to YouTube on the weekend. It is at

It includes some video or their renders, still images, animations of stills and they incorporated some of Ray Dasher's audio as well.

Right now I want to pull my hair out over the Hall of Science stairs and water area.

Hope you all enjoy the video.

All the best,

Lori

OH MY GOD! Simply fabulous presentation

Lori, this will be one of the greatest legacies of ANY World's Fair!

Between your fine work, nywf64.com and PTU, the 1964-'65 fair will surely be the best documented fair in history.

I'm just glad you're doing OUR Fair!

Thank you so much for sharing this intermediate video.

Doug Seed

Wow, that's really wonderful, Lori. Can't wait to see where it all goes from here (including back even further in time to 39/40!) and thanks for keeping us all posted!

great video!! thanks for sharing and i can't wait to see more! i hope all of your students are getting A+s for all the effort they are putting in!

great video!! thanks for sharing and i can't wait to see more! i hope all of your students are getting A+s for all the effort they are putting in!

I really am pleased with their efforts and am most fortunate to have a great group of talented students. They have incorporated a few interesting ideas into the new website as well.

Hi Everyone

We have some good news on the funding front - the project was awarded a National Endowment for the Humanities - Digitial Humanities Grant. It will permit us now to continue creating models and most importantly placing the Transportation Pavilions into a game engine so you will able to move around in and interact with the environment.

To date we have these pavilions complete - Unisphere, New York State, General Motors, Ford, Port Authority, Hall of Science and Space Park, US Rubber Tire Ferris Wheel. We also have two versions of the Brass Rail concession stands, Communication Arches, helicopter for atop the Port Authority and busses for the bus parking area near the Port Authority. Sinclair Dinoland is still under construction - the organic models take longer to model than the structures - but the structure of Dinoland is complete as is the Bronto and T-Rex. Work also has begun on the Chrysler Pavilion.

On the modeling front - this semester we are going to complete the Chrysler Pavilion, Avis Antique Car Ride and the Underground Home. And I can see where each of those pavilions will have me beating my head on the desk and posting for HELP.

As each model is completed we are dropping them into a single environment.

We also launched a new interactive map/gallery on the website - but it is still in a testing phase. Ben has created a really neat looking interface modeled after the Communication Arch and we just started populating it.

All the best,

Lori

I can see how Chrysler would be difficult.

It had a lot of individual complicated outdoor displays.

If you finish Sinclair and drop it into the game engine, don't forget that several of the big dinosaurs moved- they had motors inside some of their neck joints and jaws (T-Rex's jaws opened and closed, Bronty's head moved back and forth right and left, etc.) I think Triceratops might have moved too. Need some home movies to verify the movements. I have enough still pictures of T-Rex to pretty much document the extent of the jaw opening and closing.

Alex made the T-Rex jaw move and did really nice detail with the teeth. He also has the Bronto neck able to move - but we'll need to figure out through videos the extent of the neck movement and if the Bronto jaws moved too.

The layout for Chrysler is complete and the large car and rocket - we've also got to figure out what models were sitting in the fountain on the stands each year.

I think Avis is going to be a major problem with the track layout - the aerials I have are not of great enough detail - so we might be a bit off with a few things at first.

Lori

If you finish Sinclair and drop it into the game engine, don't forget that several of the big dinosaurs moved- they had motors inside some of their neck joints and jaws (T-Rex's jaws opened and closed, Bronty's head moved back and forth right and left, etc.) I think Triceratops might have moved too. Need some home movies to verify the movements. I have enough still pictures of T-Rex to pretty much document the extent of the jaw opening and closing.

Randy,

I don't remember Triceratops moving. I have home movies of the dinos (as they were a big favorite of mine and my brother's), and Bronty and T-rex were the only ones I can see moving.

Liz

Hi Everyone

On the modeling front - this semester we are going to complete the Chrysler Pavilion, Avis Antique Car Ride and the Underground Home. And I can see where each of those pavilions will have me beating my head on the desk and posting for HELP.

Hey Lori,

Here are a few images to assist you with the Avis and the Chrysler Islands...

I believe it was John Pender who posted this track plan of Avis a year or two ago:

post-161-1206308354_thumb.jpgAVIS.jpg[/attachment:94441]

(FYI - you would need to rotate this about 90 degrees clockwise in order to orient it the same way as Avis is shown in the next two images below)

Here's a pretty detailed aerial view of a portion of the Transportation Area:

post-54-1206305317_thumb.jpgTransportationAreaAerial.jpg[/attachment:94441]

And here's an excerpt from the Ops Manual for roughly that same section of the Transportation Area:

TransportationArea.jpg[/attachment:94441]

I hope this helps...

Best Regards,

Kevin

I have 20 or 21 color closeup pictures of cars operating on the Avis track, so let us know if you need any details like the covered bridge or the underpass/overpass.

Kevin- do you have the ops manual maps for all of the zones, or just Transportation? I am especially interested in seeing the ops maps for amusement and industrial zones, if possible. That detail in the map is second to none!