Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Come on back to the Fair!

Amazing! Awsome! Awestruck...and other words that start with A. Heck, words that start with many other letters, too!

This is just wonderful. I think all the images/buildings look great, so far. I look with much anticipation (another A word) to the future of this project!

It will be wonderful to see the images of the pavilions, and environs, from all sides in a matter of moments.

It is a pity that we can't smell those waffle's though.

Call for help on Sinclair Dinoland - would anyone have images that provide the full view of the curved dinosaur mural? We have several, but the small Bronto statue partially obscures the mural in each one. The students want to use the actual artwork as a texture.

As always, many thanks!

Lori

Yes, we have pictures that reveal all, at least one being a totally clear view of the whole mural.

By the way, the students should be aware that the mural was painted on translucent plastic, which was mounted on the front of a light box which stuck out something like 6 or 8 inches from the wall. At night the light box was switched on, so that the mural was lit up from behind.

If your virtual world includes sundown/sunup, cloudy day/sunshiny day variability, then simulating the 'light box on at night' would be something that I'm sure the students could duplicate.

Another note to add authenticity:

Visitors were not allowed to bring strollers into Sinclair Dinoland, so they lined them up under the mural and left them there while they were inside. Those who rented the Hertz strollers usually removed the push handle and carried it into the exhibit with them. (the strollers were designed like that, so the renter could carry the handle into exhibits with them and prevent somebody from walking off with their stroller).

Many photos of the diplodocus / mural area show strollers "parked" under the mural, with the Hertz 'Stingray' strollers missing their push handle.

Hi Randy,

Excellent! I had no idea about the mural being on plastic. Yes, we can make it a day/night feature that can light in the evening and assign it reflective properties for day.

Many thanks for coming to the rescue.

Lori

More pictures....maybe useful to pick up some details of this little plaza so it can be modeled....

103017037_3a70212a8b_o.jpg

01_Sinclair_Dinoland_entrance.jpg

15b_Sinclair_Dinoland.jpg

64-05-27-27_Sinclair_Dinoland.jpg

64-09-28_Sinclair_and_U.S._Royal_Giant_Tire.jpg

poor color reproduction on this one

65-06-06-08_Sinclair_Dinoland.jpg

65-07-05-12_Sinclair_Dinoland.jpg

65-09-18-29_Sinclair_Dinoland_entrance.jpg

Randy,

Outstanding - these fill in the gaps and will really assist April in modeling the plaza and the sign.

A number of the students working this semester are really getting into the subject and have discovered that their parents or grandparents attended the Fair - which is quite neat. That is one of the wonderful aspects of this project - the multi-generational connection.

Again, many thanks,

Lori

I reduced the size on all these to put them on the 'net.

If your students want to see more detail on any particular ones let me know and I can e-mail the original higher resolution scan. (except the last one- Mike Kraus has that one).

Greetings!

I have a call for help on the Port Authority Heliport roof. Travis is seeking an image that provides more detail on the structure that is on the bus parking side of the roof. My guess is that it was used for gaining passenger access to the roof and as a control tower for the helicopter. Perhaps a close-up aerial might reveal that structure and the heliport markings as well. If we can not find an image of the heliport markings I am leaning toward going with the heliport markings that you can see on the Pier 6 heliport from 1960s photos.

As always many thanks!

Lori

Hi Lori,

Here's a couple of color aerials that might help with the helicopter markings...

post-3110-125369733918_thumb.jpgpost-3110-125373516458_thumb.jpg

I've got a couple of B&W photos that my help you out as well, but they are too large to post here, so I'll send them to you via e-mail.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Those triangular markings were not there in many of my shots, so they were evidently added during the Fair.

Here are some more shots for you, Lori.

nywf-heliport-1.jpg

nywf-heliport-2.jpg

Excellent - these are great. Travis should be able to piece that structure together now and put the landing markings on the roof.

Thank you,

Lori

Greetings All,

Travis has been working on the Port Authority building and accompanying New York Airways helicopter. He has the building itself complete but the circular structure at the base is presenting a problem. Might anyone have an image that shows that whole structure from ground level?

As always, many thanks!

Lori

Here's a few that probably won't duplicate what Bill will provide....

Port_Authority_entrance.jpg

Early_Sikorsky_landing.jpg

65-09-19-01_Port_Authority_heliport.jpg

Mike Kraus owns this slide, which is one of the best views we have:

T16P57.jpg

Was this Circle Cinema 360 show 'From Every Horizon' one of those where everybody had to stand up, holding on to a grip rail if they wished (like the old 'America the Beautiful' show at Disney World) ??

Or did they have theater seats so that the audience was seated?

I think Disney called their's Circarama, and then renamed it Circlevision 360.

Hi Randy -

Many thanks - these really help out. I'll sit down and make an orientation sketch for Travis. Was the Circle Cinema attached in any way to the pillars from the Heliport building? From the ones I've put together and these it appears to stand fully independent.

Thank you -

Lori