Sign in to follow this  
Maverick

'39 Fair - Creston Crayons wanted

Just wondering if any '39-'40 collectors can help me out.... it has recently come to my attention that my great-grandfather who owned Creston Crayon Co. in NYC made and sold commemorative '39 NYWF Crayons or chalk with T&P graphics on box. Does anyone have any memories / pictures of this product, or other info such as if this was an official souvenir sold at the fair or unofficial product, simply capitalizing on the fair craze. Of course I would love to obtain a box too so leads would be most welcome!

Wow, Maverick! How cool that your great-grandfather made crayons, not to mention T&P crayons! And of course, now I must thank you for adding YET ANOTHER item to my collector's wish list. Sadly, I haven't seen any myself yet-- but now that I know what to look for-- I'll be sure to look for TWO boxes!

Thanks! This is how it happened: my aunt was bidding on Creston brand crayons and chalk on ebay, collecting examples of every different kind of product Creston made. Most of the time, she would win the items for a buck or two, generally not a huge demand for this stuff. But once in a while, she was getting outbid for outrageous amounts of money like $70+ dollars for a box of chalk by a particular buyer whose name repeatedly came up in auctions my aunt lost. Finally she contacted the guy, trying to find out why in the world he was so interested in our families obscure products. After an amiable e-mailing conversation back and forth, he said he is a crayon/chalk collector and buys items he doesnt already have. So that answered one question, but another was opened when he casually commented that his favorite Creston Crayon item is his box of NYWF commemoratives (I cant remember if it was chalk or crayons... this happened a while ago). Of course when my aunt relayed this to me, I went ga-ga.... I must find a box!!

It is not surprising this is news to me.... my great-grandfather died in 1959, and the business went to my grandfather who in turn died in 1967. My grandmother sold the business to Rose Art at that time, 40 years ago. So basically no family member alive today knew anything about this product, making it a very exciting discovery indeed!

Maverick,

Hope you're still reading this forum. I'm the collector you are referring to here. I happen to remember bidding against your aunt all those years ago. I felt bad about bidding against a company family member but, well, I'm a fanatical crayon collector too. My collection is around 3,000 different boxes; the largest in the world. I happen to have a box of those 1939 Creston Crayon New York Worlds Fair boxes. I did see another come up on Ebay a couple of years ago. To my knowledge, that has been the only two boxes in the over 10 plus years I've been collecting.

I found your post here because I'm about to update my crayoncollectors.com web site with a new page on the Creston Crayon Company (which actually started out as the Creston Candle Works Co.). Its a neat company. I know of 15 different crayon boxes from that company (have pictures of them all). In addition to their Creston line they also did Buster Brown Shoe crayons and Park Avenue crayons.

I'm in the process of researching when the company first started. If you have any information, I'd love to share photos for bits of info on the company (such as your great-grandfathers name...I like to mention the founder in my history summary on the web site)

Hope you've found one since this thread. You can reach me via my crayon collectors web site (pictures only seem to work through Internet Explorer or Safari).

Regards,

Ed

I sent Maverick an e-mail to let him know about your post. It doesn't look like he has been around here since Nov 2011. I also have this contact info for him:

http://www.myspace.com/38083393

Welcome, by the way! Glad you found us. I'll check out your site. Like most others here probably did, I did my share of crayoning over the years.