222 replies to this topic

#31 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:16 AM

Somewhere between funny and abusive, Nancy! I'm not sure I'd wanna sit in any of these guys laps.

Posted Image

#32 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 12:56 PM

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->thanks ( ignoring the "were" ..lol..we middle aged women always appreciate compliments!)

nancy<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

LOL I have not seen a recent picture but if you were that beautiful then I'm sure you still are now and besides where would Jess have gotten her looks from ?

#33 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,147 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:29 PM

Yeah, lay it on thick, guys!

#34 specialbunny

specialbunny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:56 PM

#35 Doug Seed

Doug Seed

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,091 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:28 PM

That is a beautiful shot, Nancy.
What a treasure to have.

#36 Eric Paddon

Eric Paddon

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,309 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:22 PM

Here's the Paddon family Christmas in Manhasset, NY (not far from the Fair site) in 1961. My father's in the foreground, my mother (who thank God continues to recover from her surgery of a month ago) in the red, my father's brother and sister and my two grandmothers.

My father was unable to recall who got the cast album of "How To Succeed In Business Without Really Trying".

#37 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:18 AM

Ok here is my first Christmas with my mom. The fathers are always the ones taking the pictures and hardly in any shots.
Posted Image

#38 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 10:01 AM

My first Christmas. It was half a century ago, so they gave me a horse and wagon.

Posted Image
December 1956- that's my granddad.

Posted Image
December 1956

Posted Image
December 1956

This was at the family farm in Florida, so no snow or "chestnuts roasting on an open fire".

#39 specialbunny

specialbunny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 11:43 AM

aww! such cute photos randy!

i don't have a picture of my first christmas on my computer.. but i am sure my mom has one of those somewhere haha

#40 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 12:51 PM

Ok here is my first Christmas with my mom.
Posted Image

Holding your favorite toy at arms length to torture you? Great training for a future Chairman of the Board!

#41 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 01:41 PM

Wow, Randy... that shot of your granddad looks like a lost Norman Rockwell painting. Great stuff, everybody.

#42 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,969 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:00 PM

I was thinking the same thing Randy, did you bump up the color?

#43 worldsfairent

worldsfairent

Pacific Coast PTU'er

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,214 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 05:24 PM

All it's missing is a signature.

Posted Image

#44 lefrak city 1963

lefrak city 1963

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 08:01 PM

i don't have a picture of my first christmas on my computer.. but i am sure my mom has one of those somewhere haha

<!--coloro:#3333FF--><span style="color:#3333FF"><!--/coloro-->YEP!!!

well that was your first christmas eve, your grandfather borrowed the santa suit from a friend of his..obviously this photo is not eligible for that scared of santa website..mell is on the left in pic and jess (specialbunny) is on the right... lots of little legs with white tights there..and grandpa was wearing white gloves too..don't know why he has the moustache part on wrong..i think it was so the older kids wouldn't recognize him..

i am so tired and i can't find the one pic of your first christmas morning that i was really looking for..but i think this should fit the bill..

(don't kill me jess..remember i ordered you the calendar!!)

nancy ( mom)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

#45 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,397 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 09:35 PM

I was thinking the same thing Randy, did you bump up the color?

What, MEEEE?????!!!
That depends on how you define "bump".

Original Ektachrome slide, as it exists today
Posted Image

After restoring the raw scan, using Kodak's ROC Pro software- default settings-, I may have done some shadow reduction using Kodak's SHO software. It was about a year ago that I restored it, so I'm not positive. Then some green reduction using Corel PSP Photo XI after masking out the Christmas tree & gift-wrapped presents (I didn't want to cut back on the green in those). I guess that's a bump down instead of a bump up. Until the last few years, we'd have assumed that the degradation in old slides like these meant they were hopeless "goners". Another 10 or 20 years of more deterioration before being digitized and restored, and they might have been unrestorable, even WITH today's digital software.
Posted Image

For whatever it's worth, my dad also shot a second one- almost identical, but grandpa is laughing. That's a cigar he's holding, by the way. Smoked 'em all the time. Hav-a-Tampa was his favorite brand. Neither of these pictures are in very good focus, but maybe that's a result of poor lighting conditions (trying to shoot indoors without a flash), combined with the mid-50's film that was available at the time.
Posted Image

My dad shot these with an Argus 35mm camera that he bought in about 1954. If you look on the couch, you'll see that he still had the box it came in. And a huge looking flash reflector. But with the latter sitting on the couch (visible in the first picture), I guess maybe he shot these without a flash, using whatever ambient light was there. The f-stops? You've gotta be kidding! I was only 10 months old; I'm lucky to remember all this stuff!

My dad's camera was probably a model C-4, like this one. He used it all the way until 1971 when he got a Japanese Yashica, and I seem to remember his old camera looking a lot like this one. This is the same camera he forgot to put film in, the day in 1964 when we went to the World's Fair. Oops!
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users