Chmnofbrd

Chairman's Holiday Christmas Pictures

Cheif Cherokee- you're right- I'd forgotten his name.

Here's what was good about toys when we were kids. You could use them to create all kinds of worlds, only limited by your imagination.

Today it seems like everything is 'canned' for kids (like video games) and their imagination and creativeness is often poorly developed as a result.

After seeing the World Champion dog sled races in downtown Anchorage in 1968, we went home and Ronnie created his own sled down championship using his Johnny West stuff.

20_dog_sled_race.jpg

30_Ronnies_fur_rendezvous.jpg

My across-the-street neighbors used to do that, too!

They had a very small livingroom so they put a small (but fatter) tree on a covered card table and the presents on and under the table.

My compliments to Ronnie on his cool, homemade dog sled!

That's not too bad....although it looks like it's an artificial tree and they forgot to fold down the hinged branches before decorating it. I like the gift-wrapped table it's setting on. Makes it look like a pedestal. The garlands that are draped over to the venetian blinds probably also serve as a TV aerial to improve reception.

That's Awesome. It is true that kids are hard to impress today, but my 7 year old does the same thing Ronnie is doing here. He see's events and uses his own toys or legos to recreate..I love to see him do this.

Video games do not interest him. He likes BB Guns ( can't let anyone know about that )

By the way, the actual picture and what he is doing is spot on. Also, Love those dolls...Looks like they have no clothes

I forgot the "mom". I think it was Jane West, in the picture sitting there in the wagon next to "daughter" Jamie West.

Once again, Kali is woefully slow on the uptake, but...

OMG JOHNNY WEST DOLLS!

My cousin Shelly had (has) a set of these...I'm sure she got them when she was a kid, in the sixties, but I would play with them in the 70s and early 80s. Freaking awesome!

Dig that smoking jacket! I really want one of those, even though I don't smoke anymore.

Old school cool.....

Smoking Jacket tis cool..I had one years ago, only not in the paisley, mine was solid burgundy with black trim. I also had a silk cravat which accompanied it. I'd wear it smoking a pipe and walking around like John Barrymore. lol the good ol days. Old School cool....

It's that time of year again !!!! The Chairman's annual look at the Christmas' of the 1960's. Here is another classic tree that has to be seen to be believed. If it was artificial we would swear they left half the branches in the attic but this one looks real to me. Maybe they sawed off every other branch and made a wreath for the front door?

B58416.jpg

This one goes in the category with the one a few pages back of the mother strangle holding her daughter. This is CREEPY.

1962BizzareChristmas.jpg

Yep, Christmas trees have come a long way since then!

They used to be plain old trees as God made 'em, but now they're plantation grown, sheared and treated like babies. They sure are beautiful now compared to the homely ones we had as kids.

Of course, the price of today's trees are outrageous, too. I'm chairman of an annual charity tree sale and we sell really nice, plantation-grown trees. We buy two grades of trees... neither of which are the highest grade. Our higher grade trees cost us $23 each this year. Add delivery and a fuel surcharge on top of that. Yikes!

I remember trees being $2.50 or $3.50 and people being aghast at a five-dollar tree! At our tree lot, as recently as 10 years ago, we used to be able to buy a bundle of three trees wholesale for $8.00, but they weren't as beautiful as the fancy, sheared ones.

It's funny, many people think that, since we're a local civic organization selling trees for charity, we get our trees free. Many people also don't believe us when we say that every person working at that tree lot for 3-4 weeks is an unpaid volunteer. I've come to realize that the people who don't believe us must be people who don't give any of their own time to charity.