222 replies to this topic

#1 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 01:49 PM

Besides collecting the fair, I also love collecting pictures from the early 60's of how we lived. I have quite a few holiday pictures and let me tell you not all of them are exactly out of House & Garden. I start today with a 1965 Christmas tree that does not look like any tree I have ever seen in the forest?
Posted Image

#2 specialbunny

specialbunny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 08:01 PM

that doesn't look like a tree, it looks like a topiary! haha

#3 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:17 PM

Flattops were popular in the early 60's.

#4 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,429 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 01:05 AM

Here's my family's tree on Christmas morning 1967, in our tiny 2-bedroom apartment in Anchorage. We walked out into the woods and picked out a tree for ourselves- the first one in family history that we didn't have to pay for- and my dad sawed it down and we dragged it through the snow to our car. It was our first winter in Alaska, and us kids had been begging for skates for weeks because all our new friends had skates and we didn't. I still have mine (the pair in the middle) in a box out in the garage. I actually got them out in the mid-80's and tried them out at a local ice skating rink. Not bad- the old equipment wasn't the problem- it's the aging body! Believe it or not, by age 11 my shoe size was already what it is today- my feet stopped growing early I guess. Size 9 then, and they still fit.

Posted Image

Us kids were happy as clams with our "take". The ages ranged from 6 to 11. Just a few years later as teenagers, of course we didn't even want our picture taken at all on Christmas morning. But these were still wide-eyed awe years.
Posted Image

#5 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 02:10 PM

Randy that's a nice looking tree with the old type tinsel. I showed my picture to somebody I work with and she had an explanation about the chubby tree. Her grandfather had bought a huge tree and when he put it together it was too tall so he hacked branches off the top until it would fit. She said thats why the stem looks so funny where the tree top is, it's actually the stem. When she asked her grandfather why he didn't just take some off the bottom he said "next time you buy the f$^&( tree".

#6 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:58 AM

I can't tell if this gem from 1964 is real, but I tend to think no manufacturer would make such a hideous artificial tree.
Posted Image

#7 specialbunny

specialbunny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:03 PM

that one reminds me of this famous tree:

#8 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 01:26 PM

Hey Bunny a few years ago they actually sold little Charlie Brown Christmas trees that looked just like the cartoon.

#9 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:14 PM

OK, Chairman, here's the deal:
The center pole has holes in it, with letters or numbers or colors corresponding to the same on the ends of the branches. Long branches lower, short branches higher, etc.
The owner was obviously color blind, lysdexic, or mathematically challenged!

#10 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 02:36 PM

Or they lost a dozen or so branches over the years LOL

#11 vladimir schimkewitsch

vladimir schimkewitsch

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:12 PM

Funny Stuff...Tree must of been cut down by the North side of your house

#12 Plumber

Plumber

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 03:46 PM

I can't tell if this gem from 1964 is real, but I tend to think no manufacturer would make such a hideous artificial tree.
Posted Image

Nice TV trays!

#13 Mike Kraus

Mike Kraus

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,158 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:05 PM

Yes, those are nice, aren't they? Hee-hee.

Whata you bet that all those metal TV trays of the 60's were made by same company that made the NYWF metal trays? Exact same construction, only bigger.....

#14 specialbunny

specialbunny

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 789 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:27 PM

Hey Bunny a few years ago they actually sold little Charlie Brown Christmas trees that looked just like the cartoon.

they Still do! my dorm room is too small to hold it though <a href="http://www.urbanoutfitters.com/shopping/product/detailmain.jsp?itemID=9352&itemType=PRODUCT&iMainCat=1226&iSubCat=1245&iProductID=9352" target="_blank">Charlie Brown XMAS Tree for Sale!</a>

#15 Chmnofbrd

Chmnofbrd

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,971 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 06:39 PM

Now this 1961 tree has to be a branch that was brought in and spray painted white
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users