Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Picture of the Day

These photographs are great. In some way, these are the type of shots which make the fair actually come back to life. These capture the "real" moments at the fair. It does appear, however, if that man's hot dog is attempting to escape from one end of the bun and he starts to chomp on the other.

I agree, Jim. These "out of the way" snapshots always reveal so much more to me about what the average fairgoer's experience was really like.

And colorwise, that snack stand in the background looks like it might have inspired another famous fast food legend later... HOT DOG ON A STICK.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3586

post-4303-124627422989_thumb.gif

I'm always amazed ny the crappy steciled signs.

So contrary to the slick, major pavilions.

I wonder if this is the long concession building over by the carousel.... the one that Vinnie Mastro posted the sketches of?

This is in what we would call today the "food court" area in International Plaza.

There is one of these tacky signs in another picture of this same food court that says 'Foot Long'. And there are a lot of other matches, like the colored panels on the food stand in the background, and the tables and chairs- even the thick aluminum pole, which is the base for an interesting design luminaire with a clear glass globe.

By the way, it's hard to tell for sure, but it looks like this guy did not load up his dog with a bunch of onions, pickle relish and other assorted condiments. Isn't that the New York way? Like a Coney Island Dog?

Maybe this guy was an out-of-towner.

It also occured to me that the annual July 4th Hot Dog-eating contest has been getting out of hand lately, with people setting new records every year and generally making a sham of the "sport". It's like Sammy Sosa using a corked bat.

Time to up the ante, and switch to these kind of foot-long hot dogs. THEN see how many they can put away in the same time span.

Don't know the number of dimensions of the individual kernels, but it looks like the guy walking under it is putting his life in peril.

"Headline- New York: man clubbed to death at World's Fair by giant corn cob. Film at 11."

....here is a general view of the "food court". The foot-long sign is on the far left, just beyond the tent overhang. The lady in the foreground is eating a chocolate ice cream cone.

09_International_Plaza.jpg

Here is the interesting-looking luminaire.

09a_International_Plaza.jpg

And your "challenge for the day" (should you choose to accept it) is to explain what this device is. Is it a vacuum cleaner? Is it a trash can with a metal flip lid, but a paper bag receptacle? Is it a set of cymbals for kids to pretend they're Ringo Starr?

09b_International_Plaza.jpg

Well, Randy... as much as I like the Ringo Starr suggestion... I'm guessing it's just a trash can. In fact, it looks like there's another one pictured in the background of your original photo.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3587

post-4500-124631047579_thumb.jpg

The kid in the "trash can?" shot looks like he staring at his hand. It almost looks like he is counting his change, and has nothing to do with the device he is passing by. No clue as to what that is, other than it might be an ashtray, seen from the rear.

Trey, it looks like your arrow is pointing at a camera case or something similar on top of a bag which in turn is on top of a table. Did I miss something there?

As to hot dogs, when I lived in NY folks ate them with mustard, relish or sauerkraut, or combinations thereof. I can't recall ever eating a naked dog.

The answers (since we must meet the expectations of a demanding public):

it's a two dimensional cob

1965-07-04-35a_refreshment_stand.jpg

it's a camera case

1965-07-04-35b_refreshment_stand.jpg

there is mustard on that dog after all! And it's either 2:30 or 6:12 on the wristwatch, depending on which is the big hand and which is the little hand. Either time is perfectly acceptable hot dog eating time.

1965-07-04-35c_refreshment_stand.jpg

Randy and Bill-- you're SO right about the camera case. Time to get my glasses prescription checked!

Can I just say, though-- that footlong hot dog actually looked kinda good to me until you went in for the EXTREME CLOSE UP. And now suddenly, I've lost my appetite!

I would say from the Sunlight (looks like a hazy day) looks more like 2:30 to me

The kid in the "trash can?" shot looks like he staring at his hand. It almost looks like he is counting his change, and has nothing to do with the device he is passing by. No clue as to what that is, other than it might be an ashtray, seen from the rear.

Trey, it looks like your arrow is pointing at a camera case or something similar on top of a bag which in turn is on top of a table. Did I miss something there?

As to hot dogs, when I lived in NY folks ate them with mustard, relish or sauerkraut, or combinations thereof. I can't recall ever eating a naked dog.

Is that a luminaire or a propane heater?

My initial thought when I saw it, like you, was that it was a propane heater, but aren't most of those enclosed in a wire mesh or something so that the heat can emanate out? This looks like an enclosed clear glass globe.

Guess you're right - wonder if it was regular fluorescent or something fancier/colored

same view in a commercial Wolfe slide.

Looking at numerous daytime photos, it seems that the red building was red in 1964 only. In 1965 it was rebuilt to be completely open-sided (as seen in the first night time photo), as was the same-shaped building on the opposite side of the conical tent..

79019_Fairgrounds_at_night_toward_Eastman_Pavilion.jpg

Maybe mercury vapor?

The buildings don't look rebuilt to me.

I think they were covered when closed by some kind of curtain or plywood door or something.

The building on the right (in the photo with the red one on the left) seems to have a curtain pulled across in front of it to prevent simple looting.