Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Picture of the Day

...possibility the best picture yet of the Pepsi-Cola Pavilion's refreshment counter-

Do any of you have one of those Tower of the Four Winds paper cups?

64-10-20-02_Pepsi-Cola_Pavilion.jpg

Wow, never saw that cup before. Wonder if there's anything tying it to the WF, besides the TOT4W illustration?

Could it be mistaken for a Disneyland cup?

Great family photograph. They actually appear to be having a great time together. And I believe the guidebook the mother is holding has an advertisement for Coca Cola on the back cover.

Good eye on that one Jim... ironic, huh?

I think those are 8oz. cups (might even be 10oz.)

Imagine how small the 6oz. bottle of Coke was that we grew up enjoying!

In this world of 20oz. bottles taking over as the norm, it's hard to imagine that the five-cent, 6oz Coke was the standard for decades. Later we saw 8 and 10oz... then the GIANT 16oz bottles in the late 1960s.

I also think that the cups at 7-Up were smaller than these Pepsi cups. Those were probably 6oz.

Bill, that is really true. In all of these random photographs from the Fair, I don't believe I have seen images of truly large people as we see so often today. I also think the idea of "supersizing" has caused enormous problems (no pun intended) as regards health in this nation today.

• Like 1

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->People were a lot smaller at the Fair than today as well.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

People may have been smaller... but their hair was a heckuva lot bigger! That redhead can't be much older than what, twelve-- thirteen at the most? Can't imagine spending that much time having to tease and spray the locks of a kid her age every morning. It's all we can do to get our daughter's hair into a ponytail.

Wow, never saw that cup before. Wonder if there's anything tying it to the WF, besides the TOT4W illustration?

Could it be mistaken for a Disneyland cup?

You have a good eye Mike.

I took a high resolution look. The large lettering directly under the Pepsi logo says 'Disneyland Fun'.

In the orange band around the bottom of the cup, there is additional lettering in white, that is unreadable in this picture. It could say 'New York World's Fair', but that's purely speculation.

Good eye on that one Jim... ironic, huh?

I think those are 8oz. cups (might even be 10oz.)

In this world of 20oz. bottles taking over as the norm, it's hard to imagine that the five-cent, 6oz Coke was the standard for decades. Later we saw 8 and 10oz... then the GIANT 16oz bottles in the late 1960s.

I also think that the cups at 7-Up were smaller than these Pepsi cups. Those were probably 6oz.

Here's something funny. Apparently not everyone was satisfied with the tiny cups.

Here's a guy who has brought his cooler over to the counter, pulled out a humongous cup (probably a 44-ouncer), and said 'filler-up!' He appears to be drinking it, so apparently the counter clerks were obliging.

64-09-28_Pepsi-Cola-_Disney_characters.jpg

Bill, that is really true. In all of these random photographs from the Fair, I don't believe I have seen images of truly large people as we see so often today. I also think the idea of "supersizing" has caused enormous problems (no pun intended) as regards health in this nation today.

Sad, but true...

Here's a photo I took outside of a McDonald's Restaurant in Guangzhou, China a few years ago.

See if you can spot the American in the picture...

post-4303-1242763388_thumb.jpg

Kevin

Here's something funny. Apparently not everyone was satisfied with the tiny cups.

Here's a guy who has brought his cooler over to the counter, pulled out a humongous cup (probably a 44-ouncer), and said 'filler-up!' He appears to be drinking it, so apparently the counter clerks were obliging.

64-09-28_Pepsi-Cola-_Disney_characters.jpg

Is that a cooler or a suitcase? If a suitcase, that guy had the right idea. That's what I would take with me... only one a bit bigger... like a steamer trunk, if I could be beamed back to the fair. (How else would I cart home all the souvenirs I would collect)?

Interesting, Bruce... as is the fact that the guy at Pepsi who filled the 44-ouncer looks <strike>a lot</strike> EXACTLY like our own man in black... YOU!

That IS curious how just one of those drawings is of a slightly rotund figure!.

Doug, those nickel bottles of "COCA-COLA" (the word "COKE" hadn't yet been invented) were actually 6 1/2 FL. OZ.

I'll try to add a picture of my three vintage bottles. On the bottom of each bottle, the city and state of the bottler was imprinted. One is marked SEATTLE WASH, another BISHOP CALIF and the third was bottled in KOREA. All are at least fifty years old. The one from KOREA has never been opened.

Ray

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The one from KOREA has never been opened.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oy! Guess you'd have to be REALLY thirsty, Ray!

Back when I was a very frequent traveler, I used to bring different containers of Coke back for a friend who collected such stuff. The first time they opened my bag I thought the inspector would thing something was screwy but he just asked if I was a collector. I explained they were for a friend, no problem.

Next month, same thing, no problem.

Over the course of a year I probably had the same inspector 2-3 more times. On one day I walked up and said hello, and he recognized me and asked "Are you bringing any more Coke in?" I said no, not this trip. Then I saw the look on the guy at the next line. He apparently thought I was involved with a very different type of coke indeed.

I used to have a coke bottle collection- a dozen or so bottles- including one I brought home from Japan in 1971 that had Japanese characters where Coca-Cola or Coke would normally be. I bought that Coke at a refreshment stand inside the shrine area at the Great Buddha of Kamakura.

I don't know what ever happened to those bottles- probably lost or thrown out in one of many moves over the years.

It was always fun to get a bottle out of machine (or a cooler at a gas station) and look underneath to see what city was molded into the glass. As I recall it, the city indicated the bottle manufacturing plant, but since distributors cleaned and refilled bottles there was quite a bit of movement around the country. Chances were you'd get a bottle from somewhere in your region, but it wasn't unheard of to find one from Oregon or somewhere far off. When you bought a "six-pack" of Coke bottles at the store, more often than not all six bottles would have different cities on the bottom.