elpendo

Roger Ramjet Day at the Fair

Heeeere's ROGER!

Thanks for posting, John.

Wow. Roger Ramjet. I have not heard that name in a very long time. I can still remember the jingle:

Roger Ramjet, he's our man; the hero of our nation. For his adventure just be sure and stay tuned to this station....

That takes me back...

Yes, very cool. I wonder what exactly was previewing? I don't remember a Roger Ramjet movie.

And it leaves us to wonder about the letters underneath the Israeli flag. Why would Roger Ramjet be at the Montana State Pavilion?

In 1964 they welcomed special guests with a sign on the side of the monorail; this is the first sign I've seen on top.

I think the sign was on top of the beam. I know I've seen one in this same spot for the monorail itself. If I remember correctly, they had copies of the TV episodes running at the monorail station. Unfortunately the press release that started this thread has vanished into who knows where?

Randy Lambertus knows a former AMF Wen-Mac Marketing VP who was responsible for the introduction of the AMF Monorail toy. He was also instrumental in creating a marketing campaign for AMF using the new at that time Roger Ramjet cartoon character, produced by Fred Crippen and Ken Snyder.

So that may explain why Roger Ramjet was on top of the actual World's Fair monorail. He was in an AMF marketing campaign.

Interesting story here:

The show was sponsored by AMF-Wen-Mac, a sporting goods manufacturer my father had encountered in his advertising travels, and consisted of 156 five-minute episodes.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2004-01-28/features/0401280075_1_animators-roger-ramjet-dvd-technology

AMF Wen-Mac also had the marketing smarts to produce figurines to go with the cartoon series....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/60585948@N00/2942380847/

Apparently it was a 2-way marketing campaign, with the Roger Ramjet character also endorsing other AMF products. One person recalls "I also remember Roger endorsing a game called the Getaway Chase Game by AMF."

A fellow named David McKenzie has this memory... "My favorite Roger Ramjet memory is how, forty years ago, AMF used him to market monorails to city governments. Roger narrated little films extolling the virtues of monorails. ("Save 50% on tracks!") In retrospect, it was very Simpsons-like."

In retrospect, it was very Simpsons-like."

"Monorail, monorail, monorail, monorail." Leave us not forget that memorable episode was written by Conan O'Brian.

That's an interesting fact about Roger Ramjet marketing the monorail.