Sign in to follow this  
Hoodlock

Work

I was in band in high school, mainly because I inherited my dad's clarinet - but we didn't play at games or march. For me it was mostly a way to avoid more-boring ordinary home rooms - and you could usually avoid study hall too, spending the time sorting sheet music or doing other "important" things.

Another "bandie" here...as a matter of fact, met my wife there in college at NC State (we both play clarinet). Marching band, pep band, concert band, etc...

Ahh, yes... nothing quite like marching through the humid streets of (insert small Oklahoma town name here) every weekend in a suffocatingly heavy wool maroon uniform with a steel triple tom collar harness compressing your vertebrae or a snare brace slowly peeling your thigh like a cucumber. Good times.

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3259

post-3769-1241480978_thumb.jpg

WELL.....I'm glad I asked.

Obviously there's NO corrolation between not playing in the band and eventual PTU interest.

(and having several bandies present makes for a diverse interest group- want to know something about something going on in a NYWF marching band picture? We've got the experts right here. Even expertise in sheet-music sorting- way to go Wayne! My kind of guy. Wayne was probably sorting sheets and dreaming of digital TV about that time. )

<!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo--><!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->“Sound the brass, roll the drum…

To the World of Tomorrow we come.

See the sun through the gray…

It’s the Dawn of a New Day.”

“Dawn of a New Day”

(Official Song of the 1939 New York World’s Fair)

by Irving Berlin<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--><!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

A bandie's signature if there ever was one! How did I miss that Worldsfairent? Should have been a sure giveway.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Ahh, yes... nothing quite like marching through the humid streets of (insert small Oklahoma town name here) every weekend in a suffocatingly heavy wool maroon uniform with a steel triple tom collar harness compressing your vertebrae or a snare brace slowly peeling your thigh like a cucumber. Good times.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Hee-hee, are we just a little bit bitter? Good stuff!

We didn't have that type of uniform; we had green blazers, grey pants, gold ascots, white tennies, no hats.

Comfortable in warm weather, but we froze our a**es off in winter, and we only marched in winter. I still have no feeling in my fingers and toes...