Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Photo of the Day

Best photo of "The Fountains" yet.

These examples are in front of Schaefer Center in August '64.

64-08-26-21_water_fountains.jpg

It's funny how Fair designers in this case came up with something that is so decidedly UN-space-age looking. They look like watch towers on a medieval fortress.

"Robin Hood, see if you can split that stream of water coming out of that tower with your arrow!"

"No problem Little John, watch this!!!" thrrrrwwwwwwwkkkkkk!!!

"Uhh...Robin, you just shot the red shoes off the lady in pink."

"Yes, well....she looked like an undercover agent of the Sheriff of Nottingham."

Hoodlock originally posted both a "threesome and a "foursome".

index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2980

Kevin's overhead shot showed a foursome in front of the Boy Scout area.

This set in front of Schaefer could be a either a threesome or a foursome, hard to tell.

Maybe Hoodlock can nail down the locations for his two photos.

Looks like your new pic shows a foursome-- if you look carefully under the poster-wielding hand of the man on the left side of frame. And the straight, narrow stretch of curb beneath them seems more consistent with Hood's second pic, as well.

Here are the Schaefer fountains as seen from the roof of the Better Living Center.

A threesome, or a foursome? You be the judge. Kevin will probably add a direct overhead shot that will be clearer for counting purposes.

64-08-20-05_view_from_Better_Living_Center.jpg

16_Industrial_Area.jpg

Hey Look!!! "invisible knobs"!! Now THAT is space-age. The Parks department is SOOO forward thinking with their "maintenance" program

You wouldn't need to buy water or soda, Bunny.

You could get a free cup of 7-Up and I think your first beer at Schaeffer was free.

I've always thought those drinking fountains were butt-ugly, too.

Certainly not worthy of the architecture at the fair.

They were, however, in line with the bare concrete fad of the 1960s. Just look at Boston's City Hall. When they show the Mayor in his office it looks like he's in an underground bunker!

You're absolutely right about THAT, Bill!

By the way, that's a cool blue and orange pith helmet that the maintenance guy is wearing in the first photo! Ever see one on e-Bay?

Also noticed the WF map on the GF Arch... which looks like a sign rather than a projected image.

What's up with that, Randy?

Is that on your list of GF Arch images?

Maybe those water fountains were not built for the Fair per se, but for use after the fair and they wanted something indestructible. In other words, they were designed mainly for post Fair use. Something "space age) would have never fit into the proposed park so they built concrete fountains that would withstand a nuclear blast or urban vandals--whichever came first.

Also noticed the WF map on the GF Arch... which looks like a sign rather than a projected image.

What's up with that, Randy?

Is that on your list of GF Arch images?

On most of the arches, one side had a fixed sign, and the other side had an electronic message display board. I understand just a few had a message board on BOTH sides, but I'm not sure which ones. You'll notice in the photos above that this Arch #4 had two different fixed signs over time- I suppose they changed them periodically, or maybe between seasons.

On Arch #4 the electronic message display board was on the other side- visible from General Cigar and the Tiparillo Band Shell.

Maybe those water fountains were not built for the Fair per se, but for use after the fair and they wanted something indestructible. In other words, they were designed mainly for post Fair use. Something "space age) would have never fit into the proposed park so they built concrete fountains that would withstand a nuclear blast or urban vandals--whichever came first.

In another topic Bill Cotter said he thinks they are standard design used in many New York parks in the 60's.

Kevin will probably add a direct overhead shot that will be clearer for counting purposes.

Hi Randy,

Unfortunately, none of my "big-view" overhead photos have a high enough resolution to see the drinking fountains...

However, the drinking fountain locations are called out on Sheets 8, 9, and 10 of the Operations Manual that Bill Cotter uploaded to <a href="http://www.worldsfairphotos.com" target="_blank">worldsfairphotos.com</a> a few weeks ago:

Sheet 8

Sheet 9

Sheet 10

Also, based on an earlier posting about these being "test-structures" I was under the assumption that the photos that Hoodlock posted were one-off designs and only appeared in one specific location at the Fair - so when I saw the overhead photo by the Boy Scouts exhibit, I assumed that these were the same fountains.

But now that I see photos of these same designs in other locations, I retract my earlier conclusion that the Boy Scout fountains are the one depicted in Hoodlock's photo.

Best Regards,

Kevin

For those of you who have access to photos of the 1939 Fair, please look and see if you can locate these drinking fountains. I visited the park on many occasions between Fairs and remember these fountains from that time.

Doug to Bunny:

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I think your first beer at Schaeffer was free.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Tsk, tsk, Doug. Contributing to the delinquency of a hard working college student.

Trey to Kevin:

Nice avatar.

Trey to Jim:

I think the fountains would probably do better in a nuclear blast than at the hands of vandals.

Trey to MB:

You've got more 39 pix than anyone else on earth. Ever see any of these fountains Hoodlock's suggesting predated 64?

Trey to Kevin:

Nice avatar.

Thanks Trey, though if I could drift off the topic for a moment, the new avatar doesn't quite look the same as what I'm uploading:

NewFordAvatar4.jpg

I'm not sure why PTU keeps altering my original image when it meets all the necessary size specifications...

Kevin

Update: After playing around with it a little more, I think I finally got the Avatar image to look the way I want it. But, I'll still blame my earlier troubles on the Newsbot!

That's exactly what I did last night for several hours- used the Ops Drawings to try to track the fountains in photographs. Many are supposed to be near the GF Arches, and I'm pretty sure I spotted a few in the shadows, but they are VERY difficult to find in photographs.

But the Ops Drawing sheet led me directly to the Florida Pavilion set- it's right out there in the open, visible in many photos.

There's supposed to be a set right in the middle of the street between Kodak and the First National City Bank, but I couldn't find it in any photos for the life of me.

The group of three fountains is located at the northwest corner of the GM site (64).

The group of four fountains is located on the Avenue of Commerce, across form Coca-Cola.

Hi All,

Well, after poking around a little bit on Windows Live Local, I've managed to find that at least four groups of drinking fountains still survive today - and there are probably more...

The "Boy Scouts Foursome" on the Ave of Progress:

The "Schaefer Foursome" also on the Ave of Progress:

The "Hoodlock Trio" by Gate 4:

And this Foursome on the Ave of Commerce near GE & the Tower of Light:

Still haven't located Hoodlock's Foursome by Coca Cola, but I'll keep looking...

Best Regards,

Kevin

Back when I was making recordings at The Fair, I should have realized the value of a narration detailing these fountains' locations, size, number in a group and how high the water reached upon turning the handle.

I should have known how important this information might be to future generations.

Ray

All part of the complex tapestry of the Fair. You wouldn't need any narration Ray, just stick the microphone down by the water jet to catch the gurgling sound. Then we would be doing audio spectrum analysis to verify that 'yep, those are the sounds of the drinking fountains all right!'

I wonder how many people needed a chug of water from these fountains to wash down their Belgian Waffle?

If these fountains had been architected to fit in with the Googie look of the family phone booths, the glide-a-rides, and so on, we probably wouldn't be paying nearly as much attention- but they stand out simply because they are two-hump camels in a sea of thoroughbred racehorses.

I should have known how important this information might be to future generations.

Hi Ray,

Yeah I know, it's probably a colossal waste of time trying to catalog all this stuff - Luminaires, International and State Flags, Swiss Clocks, GF Arches, Drinking Fountains, Mail Boxes, Floor Tiles in the NYS Pavilion, Molderama Machines, etc., etc. - and that your average NYWF enthusiast probably doesn't even care.

I can't speak for Randy, but I just enjoy the challenge of studying photographic evidence to try to locate where everything was and put it in some sort of visual context - I guess you could call it the NYWF version of "Where's Waldo?"

I also like finding out what items/structures still remain in the park as well... it sort of keeps the Fair "alive" for me knowing that some things are still there.

Now - last one to find all of the family telephone booths is a rotten egg!

Best Regards,

Kevin