#1 magikbilly

magikbilly

Radioactive

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 20 September 2006 - 11:37 PM

Hi All,

Fiorello H. LaGuardia died 59 years ago yesterday. I forgot to post.

Found this quote online:

"Before taking office, LaGuardia called Hitler a "perverted maniac." In a public address in 1934, LaGuardia warned, "Part of [Hitler’s] program is the complete annihilation of the Jews in Germany." In 1937, speaking before the Women’s Division of the American Jewish Congress, LaGuardia called for the creation of a special pavilion at the upcoming New York World’s Fair: "a chamber of horrors" for "that brown-shirted fanatic."

In response, the government-controlled press in Germany called LaGuardia a "Dirty Talmud Jew," a "shameless Jew lout" and "a whoremonger." When the German ambassador protested LaGuardia’s remarks to Cordell Hull, the U. S. secretary of State, Hull explained to the ambassador that, personally, he "very earnestly deprecate[d] the utterances which have thus given offense to the German government." Hull had to explain, however, that in America the mayor of New York was free to speak his mind. Hull complained privately to President Roosevelt that LaGuardia was poisoning German-American relations, but Roosevelt asked Hull, "What would you say if I should say that I agreed completely with LaGuardia?" Several months later, LaGuardia visited Roosevelt and recorded the following scene:

The president smiled as I entered his office. Then he extended his right arm and said, "Heil, Fiorello!" I snapped to attention, extended my right arm and replied, "Heil, Franklin!" And that’s all that was ever said about it."

from: <a href="http://www.jewishvirtuallibrary.org/jsource/biography/LaGuardia.html" target="_blank">http://www.jewishvir...uardia.html</a>

"No more free lunch!" - F.H. LaGuardia 1934

Best,
MB

#2 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:19 AM

"It makes no difference if I burn my bridges behind me; I never retreat."
Fiorello LaGuardia

#3 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,371 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 04:22 AM

I take it Fiorello is not a French name.

Sounds like Patton.

#4 Jim

Jim

Never Logs Off

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,936 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:16 AM

It does sound like Patton doesn't it? Interesting. I imagine that serving as mayor of NYC, one must sound like a general marshalling the troops from time to time.

I once heard an historian refer to the position of mayor of NYC as the second most difficult job in the nation--right after the presidency. Sometimes I think it might be THE most difficult job in the nation.

#5 AMF Monorail

AMF Monorail

Back to the Future by Monorail

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 769 posts

Posted 21 September 2006 - 06:38 AM

I once heard an historian refer to the position of mayor of NYC as the second most difficult job in the nation--right after the presidency.

Yes Jim, that was Mayor John V. Lindsay's (Mayor Linseed on the Batman TV show) slogan when ran he for re-election in the 1960's. I remember the posters with his head shot and that slogan.

Ronald Regan had something to say about that:

Of New York Mayor John Lindsay's plaint that his is the second toughest job in the world,
Reagan said that it probably was, "the way he does it."

#6 FDNYhistory

FDNYhistory

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 02:16 PM

Attached File  IMG_1546a.jpg   119.91KB   71 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1544a.jpg   99.16KB   62 downloads
Fiorello's grave at Woodlawn Cemetery in the Bronx.

#7 SonnyTFox

SonnyTFox

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 04:15 PM

A great man.History has almost forgotten him.

#8 Joey Chernov

Joey Chernov

Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 621 posts

Posted 05 May 2010 - 06:05 PM

In Robert Heinleins "For us The Living" (written 1939, published in 2004) LaGuardia was a two-Term President in the 1940's, citing his successes as mayor of NYC as well as his popularity. If only the man had lived a little longer and had a little more national Political drive he could have been a very successful president. Imagine, with what he did ti NYC what he could have done to America!!

#9 xl5er

xl5er

Really Loves World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,012 posts

Posted 06 May 2010 - 05:28 PM

Yes Jim, that was Mayor John V. Lindsay's (Mayor Linseed on the Batman TV show) slogan when ran he for re-election in the 1960's. I remember the posters with his head shot and that slogan.

Ronald Regan had something to say about that:

Of New York Mayor John Lindsay's plaint that his is the second toughest job in the world,
Reagan said that it probably was, "the way he does it."

WNET Channel 13 NY ran an hour long piece, "Fun City Revisited: The Lindsey Years" at 8 PM tonight. It was interesting and a great flashback to NY of the late 60s. If it runs again or is available online, I recommend catching it for anyone who needs a refresher on that consequential period.

#10 dsadowski

dsadowski

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 08:05 PM

If anyone here has seen the Wikipedia page on LaGuardia, it looks like it has been edited by the Tea Party. LaGuardia is blamed for creating a big government infrastructure in New York that was unsustainable and led to NYC borrowing more and more money over the years, leading directly to bankruptcy in 1975 (30 years after he left office!).

It says he decided not to run for re-election in 1945 because his popularity had tanked and that he paid government workers too much money (this despite them not having collective bargaining until after LaGuardia left office).

I hope that people here who are more familiar with the true facts of the situation can correct this. After all, LaGuardia can hardly be blamed for NY's going bankrupt 30 years after he left office, and New Yorker's use much of the so-called bloated infrastructure such as the Tri-Borough Bridge to this day.

#11 Bill Cotter

Bill Cotter

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 11,843 posts

Posted 26 September 2011 - 09:49 PM

That sounds like a real hatchet job. That's my biggest beef with Wikipedia - almost anyone can edit a page to say just about anything, true or not. They did a bit on that on "30 Rock" that was quite funny.

#12 waynebretl

waynebretl

See Yourself on Color TV!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

Remember "trust but verify?" With Wikipedia, it's "DON'T trust, VERIFY!"

A group of vintage TV collectors I know are currently going through the same kind of grief regarding the Wikipedia listing about the first RCA color TV set, the CT-100. Try to correct it, and some idiot who won't entertain the idea he might be wrong changes it back.

#13 Randy Treadway

Randy Treadway

Master Builder

• Root Admin
  • 17,371 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

LaGuardia probably bears a degree of responsibility for New York's 1975 bankruptcy in roughly the same proportion that Franklin Roosevelt is responsible for the financial mess that our country finds itself in today. Throw in John Lindsay's responsibility for New York and Lyndon Johnson's responsibility for the USA, and the comparison might still be apropos. If you want to know where the U.S. is headed financially, New York has already been there (with California close on New York's heels). Everbody wants to blame somebody, and the further back in time people can point the finger of blame, the more diversion of attention from current and recent decision makers.

I think whoever wrote 'big government infrastructure' was probably referring to a big government bureaucracy with a massive number of departments and boards, the increase in number of government employees, on top of a large number of social spending programs. Not so much roads, bridges and tunnels.

#14 EPCOT Explorer

EPCOT Explorer

Likes World's Fairs

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 27 September 2011 - 02:30 PM

Great story about LaGuardia. My respect for him just grew, if that were possible.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users