Sign in to follow this  
runbill

Los Angeles screening of "To Be Alive".

Hi,

The Motion Picture Academy will be showing the Oscar winning "To Be Alive" from the 1964-65 New York Worlds Fair at the Samual Goldwyn theater in Beverly Hills on October 2, 2006. Three other Oscar winning documentaries from 1965-66 will also be presented. Here's the link:

<a href="http://www.oscars.org/events/oscars_docs2/october.html" target="_blank">http://www.oscars.org/events/oscars_docs2/october.html</a>

Finally, after all the discussion about "To Be Alive" I have read at this website, I'll be able to see this film.

Bill

Thanks for the heads-up, runbill-- I'll be there as well! Perhaps a PPTU (Pacific Peace Through Understanding) get together is in order? Mr. Cotter? Mr. Treadway? Mr. Dashner? West Coasters Unite!

Other than L.A. area PPTU'ers, there should be a few that have private jets and can make the screening. Mike, you must be one of those candidates.

I'll be there and maybe we can all meet at a nearby restaurant before the screening. If that appeals, I'll locate a close by eatery and make reservations for us.

At the meeting, every attendee will receive a free copy of the latest version of Vault III which contains the original sound track of "TO BE ALIVE". So, who's coming?

Ray

Count me in, Mr. Dashner!

Meanwhile, according to the Academy site-- tickets must be purchased either in person at the Academy Box Office, or via "snail-mail" by printing and mailing the form below with a check or money order:

<a href="http://www.oscars.org/events/form.html" target="_blank">Academy Screening Ticket Form</a>

-Trey

Arrgh!! I'm so jealous I could bust!

Mike, you are alot closer to Racine where they show it every Friday now at the Golden Rondelle.

Other than L.A. area PPTU'ers, there should be a few that have private jets and can make the screening. Mike, you must be one of those candidates.

Mike has an old Crestliner with an outboard motor. Lewis & Clark did it- Mike can too Follow the Lewis & Clark route, then when you come out at the Pacific Ocean near Portland pick up Kevin, then take a left and head south to L.A.

October 2nd huh? That's a Monday evening. I just might be there!

John, Bill Cotter and I are in need of a therapy session because of the stress of losing so many eBay auctions recently to 1924lineone. And dealing with the stress of paying for all the slides we did win.

You'll need to fly out to L.A. to treat us of course. October 2nd would be fine. (what a coincidence!) You could either write it off as pro bono or get a tax deduction as a business expense to conduct research for a professional journal article on The Psychology of World's Fair Nuts. PTU is the perfect laboratory environment, and SiPs and SiLAs are ready-made observation opportunities.

Mike has an old Crestliner with an outboard motor. Lewis & Clark did it- Mike can too Follow the Lewis & Clark route, then when you come out at the Pacific Ocean near Portland pick up Kevin, then take a left and head south to L.A.

Mike - How about we meet-up at Kelley Point Park (where the Willamette river meets the Columbia)?

Just let me know what time to be there, and I'll be ready!

Kevin

Jeesh, I don't know, they have these things nowadays called aeroplanes.....

And, I don't believe there's a water route between here and there that doesn't include a hell of a lot of portaging, and I'm not as spry as I used to be....

Gee Randy... if you can just spin a cover story as nicely as you're spinning that swanky new avatar... it oughta be no problem!

I know! Tell her you're going to Hawaii, like Laurel and Hardy did in Sons of the Desert!

We are the Sons of the Desert,

Having the time of our lives.

Marching along, two thousand strong,

Far from our sweethearts and wives, God bless them.

Tramp, Tramp, Tramp, the boys are marching,

And dancing to this melody.

Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm,

Hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm, hmm,

Sons of the Desert are we!

L

Just wondering if PTU ever put together a group to meet for dinner and the doc "To Be Alive" at the Academy? We live very near the Academy and it would be no problem for me to pick up tickets for everyone. Dropping by their office during the day is no problem.

Denise

Hey Denise...

What a thoughtful offer-- and very helpful, as well-- since I'd completely forgotten to get tickets way back when it was first announced and figured it would be too late now.

Regardless, I'm in. Anybody else? Bill? Ray? Bob? Randy (did you come up with a good excuse for missing your wife's birthday? P(PACIFIC)PTU WEST COASTERS REPRESENT!

-Trey

I'll drop by the Academy tomorrow and see where the ticket sales stand for that particular night. I'll pick up yours and mine while I'm there. I want to see Alive and the Eleanor Roosevelt doc.

Denise

Denise,

In the above posts, I only got a positive response from Trey, so I felt that a group turnout was not in the cards. So, Denise, count me in!

I'll have to drive from Ventura down the Pacific Coast Hwy. to avoid freeway rush hour traffic on 101 & 405. Due to the length of the total screenings, a restaurant meeting may be impractical for all.

I will send emails to Al Fisher and a few others that may not be reading these posts.

If seat assignment is numbered in sequence, we can all wind up meeting in the same row!

Ray Dashner

Hi Ray,

There is no assigned seating at the Academy theater, so we will easily be able to sit together. There are also a number of restaurants near the Academy if we wanted to meet around 6 P.M. and have something to eat or drink before the screenings. If we don't get together beforehand, I'll just meet everyone at the front entrance of the Academy with tickets. I'm staying through the Eleanor Roosevelt doc, then heading home.

So, that's three tickets that I'll be picking up tomorrow. Four if my husband Randy decides to join us. By the way, Ray, you can listen to him while driving to the Academy on KABC 790 AM, doing traffic from 3-4 and 6-7 P.M. His name is Randy Fuller.

Ray and Trey, e-mail me through PTU and I'll give you my cell phone number, so we we'll be able to find each other that night.

Denise

I sent an email to everyone that I know and a PM to Craig Bavaro. So far, Al Fisher says Oct.2 is not possble and Robert Yowell is out of the country until Oct. 2.

I can't imagine us all getting together at a restaurant at 6:00PM and then walking to the theater in time for a 6:30 showing. Also, I'm a cellphone holdout, so I can't reach anybody, but I will wear my "I HAVE SEEN THE FUTURE" (Futurama) T shirt for identification.

Ray Dashner

Denise,

That timing may allow for a quickie munch. I originally thought that I could locate a restaurant nearby, but gave up on that idea because the info I had was that the screening would begin at 6:30. Since you are a local resident, can you suggest where we could meet before the screening?

BTW, October 2 is the YOM KIPPUR holiday, so a a few have replied because of that it makes it impossible to attend.

Ray

Oh no! You're right, Ray-- I completely forgot it's Yom Kippur! Guess that's one more thing to atone for! Denise-- if you get this in time, please DON'T get me a ticket. Of course, if you have already, I'll most certainly reimburse you-- and please accept my apology for the trouble-- but I completely forgot about the Jewish holiday. Depending on family temple schedules, etc... I may still be able to swing it and try to get a ticket if I can at the door... but will most likely have to miss it. Drats!

Well, this entire field trip seems to be swathed in fuitility! My husband just reminded me that we are out of town until that Monday and our plane is scheduled to land at 6:20 P.M. I don't think I can make it from LAX, to my house, to the theater, in that amount of time.

I am sorry!

Denise

For the convenience of west coast PTU members, the Goldwyn Theater should be asked to show "TO BE ALIVE" at every screening until JANUARY, 2007. Then we can all get to see it at our convenience.

But now that we're back on square one with trying to set up a time for dinner before the showing, I suggest that each of us pack a Belgian waffle or two and meet in the lobby at 7:00PM.

Ray