Sign in to follow this  
Doug Seed

Rocky and Grammy - My Personal NYS Connection

How's THIS for my own personal World's Fair legacy?

NY Governor (and future Vice President of the U.S.), Nelson Rockefeller, sharing a genuine bellylaugh with MY grandmother during his Presidential campaign in 1964!

With New Hampshire's "first-in-the-nation primary", we get EVERY candidate through here every 4 years.

My grandmother, Evelyn D. Seed, (1891-1979) was a pioneering businesswoman, a founder of our Board of Trade (later the Chamber of Commerce) and, of course, involved in local politics. Just the kind of "local" every candidate wants to meet and be photographed with.

This shot was taken by the newspaper reporter for the Lawrence (MA) Eagle Tribune.

As a 12-year-old, I barely knew who "Rocky" was, nevermind the fact that he was so instrumental in my beloved World's Fair and the reason that NYS was the tallest structure at the Fair!

By the way, I get to call him Rocky because that's how he signed his autograph, on a paper plate, for me that night in 1964!

That's a great little story Doug! It's nice to see a good story that also has a neat personal side to it.

By the way, do you still have the paper plate with "Rocky's" autograph? I certainly hope you didn't eat off of it afterward .