Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

How Sheik!

Is it an insult if you call somebody a 'son-of-a-shiek'?

I assume this was a takeoff on the Rudolph Valentino silent movie roles.

I think this matchbook cover from the time of the first NYWF is kind of cool looking.....(or should I say sheik looking)

I wonder if they offered a Hezbollah sandwich?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=170008035665

mb34.jpg

Hezbollah is a Lebanese Shia Islamic group, and has no conetion with the Syrian Arab Republic not to mention a long gone New York Resturant in the Village.

Well many would disagree about a current day Syrian connection, but I agree about the restaurant.

Was Syria still a French colony or protectorate or something in 1939? Lebanon was, wasn't it?

Did New York City have a sizable Syrian expatriot community in the 1930's, enough to support a restaurant like this?

Well, staying away from the heated politics of the day... I was at least pleased to see that a food critic and author with the enchanting moniker of Clementine Paddleford (which I particularly love, since my daughter shares her first name) not only once dined at the SON OF THE SHEIK restaurant-- but also added its menu to her extensive collection which was ultimately gifted to Kansas State. Wonder if that means she liked it?

Clementine Paddleford Papers

And here's a copy of her great recipe book from the 60's-- which I tracked down a few years ago on eBay.

how-america-eats1960.jpg