Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

Chairman's Humor Photo of the Day 7/11/2006 Hifi's

A little color restoration.....and it looks like that might be a reel-to-reel tape deck on the floor (a Christmas gift no doubt). This was a pretty techie family for 1959! (and proud of it, propping up that sign to mark the occasion for later time travelers like us)

1959.jpg

Christmas 1964 their Dumont TV was already old but they had a component stereo sitting next to it. The daughter got a hope chest and I'm guessing the nightie was to save until the wedding night.

1964xmas.jpg

Boyfriend (hiding behind flower): "What do gals need foofoo stuff for their wedding night for, anyway? What a waste!"

Girl: "Finish your milk and cookies!"

So what do we think was in that case with the green felt? Pool cues? No, that wooden divider in the middle probably rules out pool cues. A saxophone? Same thing- the wooden divider would cause problems. TWO miniature saxophones, so the girl could play duets with her boyfriend? Do they look like band geeks? She looks more like a cheerleader type, but she could be a majorette.

It looks like they put the gifts inside the cedar chest in the days leading up to gift-opening time. And I don't see any Christmas Tree. Maybe they're Hannukah gifts and the family is Jewish? Alright you Jewish PTUers, is pulling gifts out of a cedar chest a Hannukah custom? Are there any other clues in the picture that suggest that the family is Jewish?

I notice as they unwrap gifts they're carefully saving the bows on the coffee table next to the milk bon-bons. My mom was like that ("be sure and save the bows!") . "But mom, this is the 6th year in a row that this one has been recycled....there's three scotch tape loops stuck on top of each other on the bottom, and it's got last year's dog hair all over it." "That's okay Randy, we mustn't be wasteful- money doesn't grow on trees you know!" (she'd yet to see American Express at the World's Fair)

Yes, there's a lot of interesting stuff in these pictures if you look at them close enough and hard enough, and use your imagination and recollection of life back then....

I just noticed that the stylus arm on the stereo appears to be placed on the record, and since the cover isn't on I'll bet they're playing holiday music while they open gifts. But who would the artist be?

Burl Ives? I'll vote for Perry Como. I'll betcha it was not the classic Phil Spector Christmas album which came out that year. Looks like a yellow label on the LP disk.

Looks like the green felt "pan" is attached to the lid of the cedar chest, and stays level as the lid is opened or closed. I think this is a jewelry shelf, in a real live Hope Chest.

These folks built their reel to reel into a cabinet. I actually can identify this machine it's a Roberts brand, my dad had the same one.

1965recorder.jpg

These folks built their reel to reel into a cabinet. I actually can identify this machine it's a Roberts brand, my dad had the same one.

Is that actually a cabinet, or a pass-through from another room that got usurped for this purpose? Either way, not your run-of the-mill recorder.

It looks like it is sitting on a bedroom dresser. I think that is a mirror frame in the back.

Christmas 1964 their Dumont TV was already old but they had a component stereo sitting next to it. The daughter got a hope chest and I'm guessing the nightie was to save until the wedding night.

1964xmas.jpg

I say this is Christmas, since there are plenty of items around such as snow men. I would say no Phil Spector on the turnatable..I believe that album didn't get it's classic status till the re-release in the 1970's.

THink about it, this was just a little over 1 month since Kennedy was assasinated. I'll bet Christmas that year was a little more on the low key side( I was born a few years later)

Also, I'd bet this is not Christmas Morning judging how they are dressed.

I love this stuff, a moment in time, and then it went on, and on, and on

Think about it, this was just a little over 1 month since Kennedy was assasinated. I'll bet Christmas that year was a little more on the low key side( I was born a few years later)

Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963. If this picture was taken in 1964 it would have been a year later.

I am also wondering if this is a young married couple. Is there a bump on young woman's left ring finger that is a diamond ring?

Guess that tree in the foreground clears up Randy's earlier speculation over whether Jewish people have a tradition of storing their Hannukah gifts in cedar chests. Funny thing is, I'm Jewish-- and he still had me wondering for a moment if there might be a cedar chest of our own missing under the menorrah.

Kennedy was assassinated on November 22, 1963. If this picture was taken in 1964 it would have been a year later.

I am also wondering if this is a young married couple. Is there a bump on young woman's left ring finger that is a diamond ring?

Doh!! Thats right thanks prof.

Here is another shot of our hope chest gal.

When I blew up the picture I could see engagement and wedding rings on her ring finger.

Guess that tree in the foreground clears up Randy's earlier speculation over whether Jewish people have a tradition of storing their Hannukah gifts in cedar chests.

Have you heard of a Hannukah Bush? When I was a kid our next door neighbor always had one! It did seem to strongly resemble a Christmas Tree. The kid bragged he had eight days of gifts to my one!!

Here is another shot of our hope chest gal

1964hopechest.jpg

That's no Dumont, that's an RCA Victor ca 1957 or so, I used to have one just like it. The reel-to-reel in the earlier picture was an Allied Knight. My dad and uncle each had one and used them to sent 3" tapes to each other instead of sending letters.