Sign in to follow this  
Afikoman

Parachute Jump is being illuminated!

I just heard this morning that the Parachute Jump at Coney Island is being illuminated soon. Announcer said it will be able to be seen from NJ and the bridges. Can't wait!!

Just saw video of the illumination on the news. Looks fabulous...not white lights but pink (at least in the clip I saw). Very cool!

The Brooklyn Boro President showed up and "threw the switch" to light the tower. At least we get the Unisphere illuminated for two weeks a year at the US Open

I was at Coney Island yesterday but didn't stay until evening to see the lighting. We went to Nathan's, the Sideshow, Museum, Aquarium, boardwalk and of course we walked over to the Parachute Jump. It looks really beautiful.

Didn't have my good camera with me though...

Here's some stills of the illumination

<a href="http://www.coneyisland.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?action=recent" target="_blank">Parachute Jump</a>

Wow... she is a beauty all lit up! Thanks so much for sharing, Mitch.

Does anybody know if the plans on this Coney Island Parachute Pavilion have progressed at all?

Coney Island Parachute Pavilion

I sure don't see a Parachute Jump in this architectural rendering of the future development plans of new Coney Island owner Joe Sitt.

coneyisland050919_1_400.jpg

But Sitt's description sure is a doozy...

"He plans to build a glittering resort paradise right next to the Coney Island boardwalk—a retail and entertainment colossus every bit as outrageous and flamboyant as the Bahamas’ Atlantis. The plan includes megaplexes. An indoor water park. A 500-room, four-star hotel—four stars, in Coney Island!—and, at the center of it all, an enormous, psychedelic carousel laced with visual cues to a Coney Island that Timothy Leary could have dreamed up. Equally spectacular, Sitt hopes, will be a blimp that will take off from the complex’s roof, carrying tourists on joyrides over the city as it flashes the resort’s name in giant technicolor letters: THE BOARDWALK AT CONEY ISLAND. “The dirigible will leave every ten minutes,” Sitt says, jabbing his finger excitedly toward the sky. “On an ongoing basis. Another. Another. Another. Lifting off and taking people on a tour, spreading the message that this is the place to be.” The total price tag: $1 billion, which Sitt hopes to raise from private investors. Sitt has seen Coney Island’s future, and it looks like Vegas—turned up a few notches."

From what I understand they are going ahead with the Parachute Jump Pavilion but I don't know how soon.

I believe the artist rendering above was an early version and may have been scaled back a bit. The property owned by Sitt is east of Keyspan Park up to the Wonder Wheel Amusement Park. Approximately three blocks. So, in the picture above, the Parachute Jump would be at least one block over to the left out of the frame.

Wonderful postcard pic, Ray! Thanks for sharing-- and although we haven't officially "met," it's nice to know that such an important fellow west coast PTU'er is still alive and kicking! -Trey

Hi All,

I will see if I have this in color and/or b/w in 1939/40. Hoep you guys enjoyed seeing it lit online/in person/on TV as much as I

MB

Thanks, MB! And yes, it does look stunning. I'm sure you're the guy to ask-- but I wonder what the view of FMCP looked like from the top of that thing?

I am a member of the National Trust, and their magazine "Preservation" (I have a feeling those of you on this forum would enjoy this publication, look it up)... has a column with historic structures lost, threatened, saved, and restored. Under "restored" this month reads: "1941 parachute jump, Brooklyn NY; 277 foot illuminated attraction at Coney Is., modeled after towers used to train paratroopers in 1930's, now relit for first time since 1960's". Obviously they made a mistake with its date of origin, and failed to mention the NYWF. I will email in a comment to the editor as a correction, and also mention the NY State Pavilion.

In the "lost" section reads: "1964 Christian Science Pavilion, Poway, Calif.: 25 foot heptagonal dome atop religious exhibit space, designed by Edward Durell Stone for 1964 New York World's Fair and transported in 1966 through Panama Canal to Southern California, demolished this summer after congregation's attempts to sell were unsuccessful".

To the editor of "Preservation" Magazine:

I appreciated the mention of the restoration of the "1941" Coney Island parachute jump in the Sep/Oct issue. However, as an enthusast of the New York World's Fairs, I feel compelled to point out that this was originally a popular attraction at the 1939-40 fair, and was subsequently disassembled moved to Coney Island after the fair closed. It is one of very few legacies of the two fairs we have left. Another, I would like to point out is Philip Johnson's New York State Pavilion from the 1964-65 fair. It should be featured in your "threatened" column, as the NYC Parks department seems intent on leaving it to serious ruin, despite passionate proposals for restoration and reuse by those of us who would like to save the iconic structures from the wrecking ball.

D. Jordan Berson

Boston, Mass.

Thanks, MB! And yes, it does look stunning. I'm sure you're the guy to ask-- but I wonder what the view of FMCP looked like from the top of that thing?

Hi Trey,

I have found several 1939 and 1940 slides I will scan and post. To answer your question - smaller the view closest to what you described was posted at PTU a while back by Randy or you - had to do with the sphere in the water. That photo was taken on the way up I imagine. The large handtint you have from me shows a view from the Sky Ride, and there the Jump is just visible on the right - the view would be very similar. Also, that color slide I wrote you about of all the Fair from the Top of the Sky Ride - that will be the closest to what you asked but I gotta scan it. Also, came across a negative of some people landing on the Jump taken right near, and a clear photo of the base (finally).

It is disturbing although not surprising that "Presevation" could blow such obvious facts.

MB