Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Does PTU hiccup on you?

It was just coincidental timing, but I crossed paths with Marc on AIM this morning, wished him a happy new year, thanked him for providing PTU for us, and let him know about the recent anomalies- specifically the login session-to-session memory lapse, and the reply button move and attachment problems for Mac users. He wasn't aware of any of it- he said he uses a Mac and hasn't had any problems. He said he'd indeed installed an upgrade a couple of weeks ago, and the upgrade doesn't seem to like the Kia skin.

He said there were a couple of quick fixes he would do this morning, and look at it deeper after he gets back home (he's visiting his mom in Iowa for the holidays). Looking at the bottom of the screen, it appears that the Kia skin is now missing, so I guess Marc disabled it for the time being.

For met at least, it appears that I'm not having to log in from session to session, so I guess maybe that's fixed too.

Thanks, Randy.

As of 8:54am/pacific -- I still had to log in to get access, but there's a new reply board (which I rather like the design of) and apparently, I'm able to upload attachments again as well.

Hiccup? I've seen PTU hiccup. This is doing the freaking funky chicken! It sent out for pizza! I got stuck with the bill! It can't dance and drinks too much! ^%$%$#%%^%($#!@!@!@!#!!!!!!!

MB

Granted, I made a few of them-- but I still miss PTU's colorful banners. And also the ability to link directly to images posted on PTU so they would appear large without having to be clicked on. I wonder if our fearless leader Marc has finally wiped his hands of us?

Trey, I think the direct link to pictures that you're wanting does indeed work, as long as your horizontal width is no more than something like 700 or 800 pixels. I've continued to downsize mine to 700 width, and they display fine.

I think Marc intentionally set it up that way because people's machines have to load whatever is going to be displayed, and there are still some folks who are using dial-up instead of a cable-modem or DSL or whatever. This way if a picture is BIG-BIG you can download and read all the messages first and see a fairly good-sized thumbnail (palm-print is more like it) of the picture, and THEN decide whether you want to see the picture in its highest definition, in which case you can click on it and wait a while longer (if you're using dialup).

It would be really nice if you could change your user setting "defaults" to say something like "display all pictures at highest resolution from inception". Then people on dialup could NOT choose that as their default, and everybody would be happy.

The other issue is that if a picture's width was higher than a person's designated screen resolution on their monitor, the picture continued off to the right and you had to pan over to see it all. It wouldn't automatically shrink after downloading, to fit your screen size "on the fly", like I.E. does. Even worse, this necessity to pan (scroll to the right) continued for the entire topic, you had to pan back and forth because TEXT of all replies in that same topic extended out as far as the widest picture in that topic before it would word-wrap. That got a lot of complaints to Marc I think, so he thought he could solve two problems with one fix by putting in the palmnail feature.

A better solution would be if the Invision software writers would make each individual reply operate with its own default word wrap rules regardless if there's a humongous picture somewhere else in the topic.

I am still having one problem though- PTU still having trouble remembering logon cookies. Especially when I plug my laptop into a different network to access the 'net.

I think maybe it's now reading your IP address instead of your user id cookie, and PTU is thinking it's a different computer because whatever ip your're going through assigns your machine a different IP address, and it can be a different one every single day. I'm just guessing that that's what's happening. I didn't use to have this problem.

Now I have to logon in the morning when I check in at the office through my employer's fiber optic network, and again in the evening when I plug the same laptop into my home isp's dsl line. Every day, two logons. I used to not have to do ANY logons- it always remembered me. (unless I cleared out the cookies).

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I am still having one problem though- PTU still having trouble remembering logon cookies. Especially when I plug my laptop into a different network to access the 'net.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yep, you're not alone there-- I have the same problem every morning when I log on at the office-- and then on a different computer at home.

You're not seeing banners though, are you? Is that just me?

You're not seeing the banners? Must be that Mac O/S again.

Just kidding- none of us are seeing the banners. Marc couldn't get it to work with the default Invision skin. Apparently the banner display driver was a patch from an outside vendor designed for an earlier version of Invision. Marc thought he might be able to debug it if he had the time....but.....

I know nothing about programing (or birthing babies...but don't slap me Scarlett! ).

I just want to add that I must also log in for each visit. Whether I turn off my computer, or not. I'm using the same computer.

Just curious: Do any of you find it better to visit using IE? Do any of you use Firefox? Any performance difference?

I generally use Firefox.

I remain grateful that a room was kept open for me while I was away.

I'm back to NOT having to log on - at least most of the time.

It has been remembering me for the last 5 days or so.

Often, when I click a thumbnail, I just get a small corner of the attached photo. I suppose that has to do with the file size of the attachment, but this is a new problem since "the landlord" tweaked the site a couple weeks ago.

Worldsfairent and I BOTH miss the ability to see the address of the attached photos. The URL of the attachment is now hidden from us.

I liked the old method of attaching better, too. It worked better based on my experience yesterday.

One thing Marc doesn't seem to ever do is go backwards, so we usually just get used to the new foibles of each generation of the IP.board software and learn to love it.

There must be a zillion features Marc can turn on and off in this software. One errant toggle late at night and Marc can have us tearing our hair out the next morning!

That "corner" of the attachment thing happens with me, too.

After posting, yesterday, I found the board "recognized" me. I thought that someone had tweaked the board. Then, the board "forgot" who I was again.

It's me, board, Rose!

It's a minor thing. I'll just show my i.d. every time I approach the guard at the gate. Maybe I'll even bring him cookies-guards for boards like cookies.

I am glad we have this club house.

I have to constantly log in when I use the board. I do not understand why this is the case.