Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Does PTU hiccup on you?

External server linking still works.

Just type the full web address for your picture all the way through .jpg or .gif, and bracket the address with img and /img (each inside brackets [ ] ) and the picture will be displayed.

On the left when you type a message you'll see a link to BB CODE HELP- that will explain how to do it with the img brackets.

Kevin just posted one that way in the Boy Scout topic. He put it on Geocities, which costs a modest fee to give you some storage space (that's where I put my pictures too), but there are some free hosts out there as well, with a modest amount of space allocation. (at least there still were last time I checked)

Kevin just posted one that way in the Boy Scout topic. He put it on Geocities, which costs a modest fee to give you some storage space (that's where I put my pictures too), but there are some free hosts out there as well, with a modest amount of space allocation. (at least there still were last time I checked)

Actually, my Geocities accounts are free - but they don't offer much bandwidth. Because of this, I used to keep running into problems with them "crashing" whenever I posted something over 250k and several people looked at it at once. So I began using the "attachment" method instead, and other than a few problems uploading jpgs over a megabyte in size, it's been a pretty reliable system... until now!

Say that reminds me... I need to renew my subscription to PTU - especially when you consider all of the junk I've uploaded onto the PTU server over the past year - Sorry Marc!

Best Regards,

Kevin

PS - I just noticed another issue with PTU. None of the attachement that I (or anyone else, for that matter) have posted in the past won't open either. The Thumbnails are still embedded in the message threads, but when I click on them, I receive an error message!

I purchased more Geocities bandwidth some time back (and more disk space), but I wouldn't expect most people to go that route unless you can afford it, and think you need it.

At least geocities has proved to be very reliable- unlike my isp's "user server space"- Earthlink dumped about a gig of my picture files last year- so the picture links in some of my old PTU postings (2003 & 2004) don't work any more. When I notice those 'broken' ones I try to fix them by re-loading the picture to my geocities space and tweaking the address in the original PTU post. I still have all the pictures on my hard drive.

To this day Earthlink [that is, their user support in India] claims that I must have deleted them. [where's that emoticon for a rasberry- with tongue extended?]

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->Say that reminds me... I need to renew my subscription to PTU - especially when you consider all of the junk I've uploaded onto the PTU server over the past year - Sorry Marc!<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oops! Thanks for reminding me as well, Kevin! I hadn't even realized my own subscription had expired until your last post made me glance up at my own avatar info.

But now that I've re-upped and remedied that situation (strongly encouraging everyone else who hasn't already to do the same)-- may I humbly spend two cents worth of it to think aloud for a moment?

If I ever had the opportunity to meet Marc Williams in person, I'd probably try to forego the handshake in favor of just brazenly bear-hugging him for all he's done to launch, build, and maintain this wonderful site. I'm quite certain that even with a few supporting members like us in the mix-- the amount that creating PTU has probably cost him not just in dollars, but in precious hours of obvious dedication-- makes our token contributions look like little more than dimes in a very expansive (and expensive!) fountain.

What's more, I'm incredibly sensitive to the demands of a "day job"-- so I fully understand and accept the likelihood that PTU is not at the top of his list of priorities right now-- even if it has turned me into a hopeless addict. (My wife has actually taken to referring to PTU as my "Flushing Meadow Mistress.")

But I guess I still have to wonder... if our fearless leader is in fact, too crazed right now to deal with relative strangers like us bombarding him with emails, PTU messages, and posts about problems like the current ones affecting the site-- is there not perhaps anyone else who could at least pinch-hit for him as PTU's webmaster in order to keep things running smoothly for its members, paid or otherwise?

Heck, if I were computer savvy enough and capable of anything much more than goofing around with Photoshop and penning long, obnoxious posts like this one-- I'd probably volunteer myself. But since I generally cause enough trouble already, I wonder if there's a way either through PTU's server - or through a third party - to contract someone to fill his shoes while Marc is unavailable and help deal with such technical difficulties?

Anyway-- just riffing here, and definitely don't mean to cause any offense, whatsoever. Glitches aside, I still eagerly hit that "View New Posts" button at least a half-dozen times a day. I just wish I could still attach and post a picture of me applauding PTU while I'm at it without having to buy extra space to host the image somewhere else.

Okay, now go ahead. Tell me to shut up and get back to work.

What's more, I'm incredibly sensitive to the demands of a "day job"--

It's more serious than that-

I believe the crash training course of action is due to the realities of sudden and unexpected unemployment.....

As for the concept of an "alternative/backup webmaster", I guess the first step would be to determine if there any volunteers with anything approaching the right skill set..... does anybody have any experience administering an invision board, or anything similar?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->I believe the crash training course of action is due to the realities of sudden and unexpected unemployment.....<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Oh dear. Poor Marc. Been there. What can we do?

I'm no less sensitive to the demands of a day job than I was back in September... in fact, probably even more so given my own current workload with the holidays on top of it.

But I'm simply reactivating this topic in order to chronicle the current hiccups and maybe grab a brief moment of Marc's attention, in case no one else has alerted him.

As of 12/21/06 at 6:50pm/pacific:

1. When visiting the site, I have to keep logging in with my user name and password. PTU no longer seems to remember me. Cookies disabled?

2. When attempting to reply to a post, there are no control panels available (i.e., site or image linking, font size, colors, and/or emoticons). Where the controls once were are now nothing but a series of blue squares with question marks.

3. Also, adding photo or file attachments is not currently an option. The controls don't even appear.

Is everybody else experiencing these issues? Are there any others you've noticed?

Notice that the default 'skin' at the bottom is 2.2.0, but right in the middle it says the version of the software is 2.2.1.

I'm guessing that Marc just installed an upgrade to 2.2.1 (there are quite a few changes which may or not be 'good'- haven't figured them all out yet), but Marc probably hasn't finished the installation yet. There are probably numerous customizable things that have to be 'checked' or 'unchecked'- such as the ability to add photo attachments, which Marc will have to catch up on.

Also Invision is such a popular software that there are a lot of customizing add-ons out there. Maybe Marc had some of those add-ons, and either they don't work with the new version of Invision, or some tweaking needs to be done to get them working again.

I think the banners at the top, for an example, are an add-on, and that's why Marc's limited time has meant he's got them working again (a few months ago) with the Kia skin, but not with the default skin. Probably just hasn't had time to study it.

Maybe over the holidays Marc will find some more tinker time, to work his way down our hiccup list.

By the way, the reason I think he was upgrading was because I saw on the Board at the same time yesterday morning that the first hiccups appeared. He's not on very often, so I think that was more than coincidence. I sent him a P.M. right away, and I think Bill C. did as well soon thereafter.

Oh yes- although picture attachments may not be working, displaying pictures that are externally served (from outside PTU) still works. So that's always an option if you have some server space. Be sure and put a img and /img in brackets before and after the url, and we should all be able to see it "live" if it's a .jpg or .gif file.

Don't know the hows or whys, but when I turned on my computer this morning and came here to PTU, I didn't have to log back on. So apparently it's remembering cookies again.

I had to log in again just now - 10/22am 12/22.

Other issues still exist.

Though if I were Marc, I'm sure the last thing I'd wanna be doing over the holidays is fixing PTU! ;-(

Attachments capability seems to be back, although once you click on 'reply' the first time, you have to wait a minute for the attachments part of the screen to 'initialize'. After that the capability doesn't seem to have to initialize again- it's just there.

I haven't tried to use it, but at least it's back on the screen. Different screen layout.

The Add Reply button is gone, too.

I couldn't get in yesterday and, luckily, I just found my password so I could log in tonight.

Bummer having to log in.

Hey Marc.. what up?????????????

I'm in North Carolina now for the holidays and had to log in again just now. I was confused because it asked for an e-mail address, which didn't work. But when I put in my PTU user name INSTEAD of the e-mail address, it works!

By the way, I still have Add Reply at the bottom of my screen. If you're seeing it at the top, maybe you got switched over to outline mode, like happens to me occasionally. Up at the top you'll see an 'options' drop-down box, and you can switch back from Outline mode in that drop-down box.

Snata just arrived to Newport Beach Ca.......I've been granted PTU rights again.......So Merry Christmas all,,,and it's great to be back.....God I missed this site........Pat M......

As of 12/26/06 I've got Question Marks all over the place instead of graphics and no ability to attach images... and yes, you're right Mike, the Add Reply button is all the way at the top of the page.

Me no likeee.

"Me no likeee."

Me neither, Doug. That's the way things have looked for me now for over a week. And I still have no direct ability to post any of my obnoxious images without seeking an outside host. Obviously, it's the holidays, and as I've said earlier, I'm sure Marc has better things to do than have to mess with all this. In fact, I bet he often feels like PTU's Dr. Frankenstein... who created a monster he's now forced to constantly feed. But nevertheless, I sure hope the site gets back to normal soon.