Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Does PTU hiccup on you?

I have had a number of issues trying to access PTU. I can be reading a message just fine, but then when I try to go to the next one I get a "Server not found error". If I wait a few minutes it goes away. I'm just wondering if it's on the PTU end or my ISP. This is the only site I'm having issues with.

Whenever the board has a glitch, like this past weekend, I worry about it not coming back, or with lost messages. I was just wondering how healthy the server or PTU's host ISP is.

Bill

Hey Bill... the only hiccup I ever have on my end is when I'm occasionally prevented from viewing new posts by some kind of "flood control" feature that makes me wait 20 seconds before trying again. Other than that-- PTU seems to perform perfectly-- as long as you ignore my now crippling addiction to surfing it.

Yes, I noticed the same problem earlier today. I also had a strange one this morning while trying to send a PM to another PTU'er. Each time I would preview the message, the title of the message would disappear - forcing me to type it in again.

I find that it "times out" almost every night, several times between 11:00 and midnight, Eastern time.

It just happened again a minute ago.

I clicked on a new topic in the "Today's Topics" menu and nothing happens. A minute or so later it will work if I click again.

This only seems to happen to me during that hour each night and it definitely IS PTU, because I have often gone to other sites out of frustration and they are fine. Sometimes I just give up and go to bed... very unhappy because i will, no doubt, miss some tidbit of useless information!

I have always assumed that it's either Marc's provider or Marc himself doing maintenence. On the other hand, it seems like a rotten time to do backupa since I often see several members online with me.

Interestingly, I don't have any of the problems you guys have described!

I just noticed, however, when I click "edit" to modify my post, a little menu pops up asking me if I want to "Full Edit" or "Quick Edit" my post. That's new. (What could be the difference between editing and QUICK editing?)

Oh... " I see" said the blind carpenter who picked up his hammer and saw.

The QUICK EDIT is quicker!

Go figure!

Does PTU hiccup on you?

Yes, but it's a dry hiccup.

Try this, while you face your computer monitor:

<a href="http://www.familyeducation.com/whatworks/item/front/1,2551,1-10119-4979,00.html" target="_blank">http://www.familyeducation.com/whatworks/i...19-4979,00.html</a>

Of course we want to see the pic shot by your webcam of you undergoing 'the PTU treatment'.

I have the same problem Bill mentions at the beginning of this thread at least every couple of days and always wondered if it was my computer or the site. Now I know it's the site.

I think the only time I've seen server unavailable sorts of messages is when I'm away from home on a slower connection - maybe there is a time-out parameter that needs adjustment at PTU or its provider?

This past Wednesday, at about 9:30 PDT PM, I was happily reading PTU when I suddenly could not get connected. That is still the situation at home. I was finally able to get connected at work today, but from home is useless. I traced the problem to a network problem with the PTU host company, but they won't deal with it until they hear from Marc. They evidently did have a problem at the time I first got disconnected, by the way. I was just wondering how the system access has been for others this week.

Bill

Bill, did you try clearing out your cookies & cache, closing Explorer, and then trying again? Maybe you have a scrambled cookie (as opposed to a scrambled egg ). I had some network fluttering on PTU Wednesday evening too, and I went to bed. But it worked fine for me Thursday morning (and apparently for other folks too).

Sounds like there might be an issue peculiar to the machine at your house?

Maybe if the PTU provider's server fluttered or flickered at the exact moment when an update to your cookie was being written, and that scrambled your cookie so that it's unreadable, it could be preventing you from logging back in since, like me, you probably have PTU set up to automatically remember your logon information. ....just a guess....

The PTU server seems to go down frequently- usually for seconds or a handful of minutes at a time, but sometimes longer- late at night east coast time (like around 11 or 12 Pacific time). I see it a lot when I'm writing something, and when I hit preview or submit, it loses it because the server has gone down while I'm typing. So I've learned to highlight the whole thing and control-c it before I preview or submit, so if it's down and the server comes right back up, I can re-respond just by control-v'ing it right back into the message pane.

again, this usually only happens around 11 or 12 Pacific time-rarely at other times.

I guessed maybe that's when the provider does routine maintenance and it makes their server performance shaky.

Not a cookie, as it's on every machine at the house, and it also fails PING and TRACERT commands. Thanks for the suggestions though! Sure is irritating. If no one hears from me this weekend that will be why. I just asked my ISP to see if they can help. I can prove there is an issue with the PTU host site but they won't deal with me, just my ISP (even though I do this junk for a living).

Until they get it fixed, have you tried an alternate net browser? But that probably wouldn't work either if your attempts with PING and TRACERT fail. Sound's like Marc's ISP doesn't like your ISP.

I had a lengthy phone call with David Oats today. He told me that he can't recollect his password and there's no way to recover the imbedded password.

He tried signing in as a different user but could not proceed since his email address prompted a message saying USER EMAIL ALREADY TAKEN, or words to that effect.

How can we help David so he can see the pics taken last week at the New York PTU group?

PTU does have a password recovery feature (assuming David remembers his user name).

If David clicks on LOGIN from the home page, it will bring up a screen that includes a line that says 'Forgot Password? Click Here.'

If he clicks, it will ask him his user name, and it will send an e-mail to him (as long as it recognizes his user name). If he then clicks on the url embedded in the e-mail which he should receive in just seconds, it will take him directly to the password reset screen, and as soon as he makes up a new password and enters it, he can then log in using it.

Hope this helps! I just tried it myself to make sure it works, and it worked fine.

Well, I'm back! Getting my dose of PTU wisdom and knowledge. It turned out the PTU host firewall had a problem with my ISP. I finally got that resolved and everything is good again!

Yes, Doug.

Mr. Perisphere has many stories to tell about The Fair, Moses, models of the NYWF that were preserved by him for many years, the visit of Pope Paul VI, the closing words on a tape by Mr. Moses at the close of The Fair on Oct. 17, 1965 and much more.

I hope this will induce him to come aboard more often with his superb stories!

Ray

Does anybody ever experience the PTU hiccup of being unable to add attachments? Maybe it's something I'm doing wrong-- but it happens to me every once in awhile when I want to attach a photo--and for some reason-- the attachment option no longer appears. What gives?

Okay, now here's a new hiccup.

I've got two freshly scanned pix from Sept. of 65 that I'm trying to post in a new topic-- but I keep getting the following error message every time I hit the "add this attachment" button:

The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error.

I sent Marc an email as well as a PTU Private Message-- but since I've never heard back from him on other issues (I know, I know, he's busy and PTU isn't a paying gig)-- I guess I'm just wondering if any of you have run into this problem?

The requested file upload failed because suitable permissions have not been enabled on the 'uploads' directory. Please contact the board administrator and inform them of this error.

I guess I'm just wondering if any of you have run into this problem?

Hi Trey,

Yes - I had the exact same thing happen to me today too, along with some other weird stuff as well (like disappearing postings and Personal Messages).

Kevin

Sometimes Marc pops up on AOL I.M.

If I see him there this evening, I'll try to connect with him to let him know that 'attachments' doesn't seem seem to be working today.

Since attachments get saved on the PTU server, I suspect that today the total file space allocated for that got maxed out.

Kevin, did your other problems get resolved?

Could it be that you got jumped over to 'outline mode'? If so, that one's not hard to fix.

As for P.M.'s, you might want to see if your inbox has exceeded the size limit- if so (it will show 100% up at the top), you can free up space by deleting some of your oldest P.M's, or ones you don't need any more.

I just set up an I.M. alert to flag me visually and audibly if Marc goes on line.

Kevin, did your other problems get resolved?

Could it be that you got jumped over to 'outline mode'? If so, that one's not hard to fix.

As for P.M.'s, you might want to see if your inbox has exceeded the size limit- if so (it will show 100% up at the top), you can free up space by deleting some of your oldest P.M's, or ones you don't need any more.

Thanks Randy,

No - Your suggestions did not resolve the issues I'm seeing. I've also tried logging in on two other computers here at home and it's the same deal - both of your postings from this morning, along with my reply posting simply aren't showing up...

Also, my PM box is still sitting at a whopping total of 5, so I don't think I've exceeded my storage limit yet!

Best Regards,

Kevin

Okay, now that I got home and re-booted my computer I'm seeing (or not seeing) the same thing as you guys. I tried the wife's computer- same thing. Messages that were there earlier in the day (including PM's) are gone.

No, I don't have a phone number, but I DO have a link to him via AOL Instant Messenger.

Yesterday evening I set up a visual and audible alarm to notify me whenever he goes online, on I.M.

Unfortunately I was on 8 hours last night and he didn't come on-line. [he's taking classes all day and several evenings a week on a crash path toward a certified degree program].

Also unfortunately during weekdays I'm behind a corporate firewall, and my company has external I.M. blocked. But I think Marc is in classes all day anyway, so it's unlikely we'd catch him in the day time.

As I told Hoodlock, Bill Cotter has dug up some successful contact information for the PTU i.p. host which he used a few weeks back to resolve an access problem (they still needed Marc's concurrance, but perhaps they have a phone # for him).

Once more...UNFORTUNATELY Bill is in upstate N.Y. on a Scouting trip and won't be back until Monday or Tuesday.

The TRUE i.p. host is named TALON and they're located in the U.K.

It looks like there is something like a 12-hour gap, where anything that got posted in that span is gone.

My guess is their server crashed so they switched over to their backup- which had last been backed up 12 hours previously. The only reason I could see all those messages for several hours after you guys stopped seeing them is that they were in my net browser's cache, so even when I hit re-load it still loaded them from my local cache when it couldn't find them on-line. Once I re-booted at the end of the day (took my laptop home from work) I lost them too.

That doesn't explain why you can't attach anything now.

But Bill's problems a few weeks ago came about because he happened to be on PTU when it crashed (late at night). The i.p. provider's robot analysis determined that somebody from Bill's i.p. domain was online at the time, so pointed the finger at him for bringing it down, and automatically set up a block to prevent anybody from that domain from accessing PTU in the future. It took Bill's communication and Marc's concurrence to get them to "readmit" Bill's i.p. address.

It could be once again, that if their server crashed while a lot of people were posting attachments, maybe their robot pointed the finger at the attachment process and "unflagged" attachment capability in Marc's Invision setup files. Which again, would need Marc's intercession to re-instate. That's just a guess.