Sign in to follow this  
worldsfairent

A Different Kind of Legacy Spotting

The Burj al Arab Hotel in Dubai is also featured elsewhere in this topic. Some close friends of mine recently stayed there and could not believe the level of opulence and singular beauty of its design. Definitely on my list of places to go. But not before Shanghai 2010-- the site of the next big "Mundial" class (a BIE distinction) World's Fair. Anybody else thinking about going?

And yeah, Doug-- those Olympics buildings are pretty spectacular. Definitely Expo-esque.

No doubt, the Beijing Olympic venues are going to be spectacular, but I cannot help but wonder, as I look

at the construction photographs, what human rights violations are taking place as those structures are

completed. China is still a place where democratic ideals are a distant hope.

Just saw this design for a new "spinning skyscraper" being constructed in Dubai and had to resurrect this topic just to have a place to share it! Evidently there's one on the boards for Shanghai as well... so maybe I can see that one during Expo 2010!

rottu1jj2.jpg

Spinning Skyscraper Details along with Additional Pics and Engineering Methods

I guess instead of rotating the restaurant on the top floor, you just rotate the whole building. If they do it smooth enough, to a person sitting inside it might look like the building is stationary and the world is rotating around it.

That once a week speed it too slow though. You need a rotation every 15 minutes or so.

Next somebody will invent the bouncing skyscraper. :thumbsup:

I want to see moving walls in a baseball stadium.

If a batter times it right he can get a home run. Time it wrong and it's a foul.

Moving goal posts in football games would make it more challenging for field goal kickers too.

Did we tell Tiger Woods about the moving hole yet?

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->You need a rotation every 15 minutes or so.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

Yeah, so everybody can lean over their balcony and hurl on the neighbors below. :blink:

What I wonder is how the wiring and plumbing work in a rotating building?

Next somebody will invent the bouncing skyscraper. :thumbsup:

Well, in Chicago, we've had the Wrigley building since the 20s.....

OK, Ok, I'll leave now

More architectural madness from Dubai... the Dubai Towers have now begun construction in this Middle Eastern playground of design and construction:

dubai-towers-dubai.jpg

And by the way, the Burj Dubai Tower, mentioned earlier in this thread-- has now at only a little more than halfway finished-- already become the tallest building in the world.

1burj-dubai.jpg

Burj%20Dubai%20-%2080.JPG

Just a little update to one of my favorite old PTU/WFC threads about Fantasy Fairs. Sadly, many of the original photo links are busted after too many past board crashes— but thought those of you who contributed to the thread would be interested in seeing the latest development at the Ryugyong Hotel in Pyongyang, North Korea.

World’s Tallest Abandoned Hotel Lit Up For Propaganda Purposes