Sign in to follow this  
konijn

Book of Record

Anyway....

a Book of Record is in better hands with a collector than in a library collection, I suppose...

The opening amount of the auction is only $ 9.90, so there are enough chances for anybody to obtain it.

Wish you luck,

Leo

I suppose it also depends on the library. The only Book of Record I have seen is in the rare book library at Syracuse University. The Book of Record was kept in a special envelope and I was not allowed to have pencil or pen with me as I looked through the book. I also had to wear some sort of disposable gloves in order to better preserve the pages of the book as I handled it. They kept the book as a treasure and still do.

That kind of white gloved treatment is the only way the Record has even a remote chance of surviving till 6939, Jim. Even I don't handle my copy that well-- so I'm sure one day mine will be lost to the ages with most of the others.

And as I recall, in the preface of the book, the authors ask future generations to "cherish" the book as a message from one generation to another and to reprint it from time-to-time.

Hi again,

the Book is on eBay right now; only one more day before the auction ends!

Until now the best bid is $ 32.-.

Wish the new owner luck!

All the best

Leo

What does it say about the trustees of our archives?

More worried about their pensions than the treasures they've been entrusted to protect.

The National Archives lost JFK's BRAIN for God's sake!

I caught the president of our local historical society throwing out old town records. She was trashing hundred-year-old welfare records because she felt that it could embarrass someone if word got out that a family member received assistance from the town in 1885! Clearly, she was clearing them out because she wanted to make room in the vault at the old town hall for stuff that was more important to HER.

Yep their just concerned about pp.Paycheck and pension.

I understand the movie archives are missing of the 1969 lunar landing as reported today on the radio.

Regards,Dave

Hi there on the other side of the pond!

This copy of the Book of Record sold for a modest price.

I still have two more copies (no ex-library copies) of the Book;

one is a special, watermarked limited edition the editor sent to his friends and relatives.

I obtained an overprint (if that's a correct word?) of The Story of the Time Capsule by G. Edward Pendray from the Smithsonian Report for 1939, pages 533-553. This overprint is known as Smithsonian Publication 3582.

It's very interesting! Gave me a lot of information I did not know yet.

Wish you all well!

Leo

I gave a copy of "The Story of the Time Capsule" to Bill Young a few years ago.

Maybe he'll scan it and post it to PTU or nywf64.com sometime.