Sign in to follow this  
konijn

Book of Record

Hi,

Greetings from Holland!

I am looking for papers, photos and other collectables about the 1939 Time Capsule. If you have anything you'd like to sell or trade please let me know.

Thanx,

Leo

Welcome to PTU Leo! You'll find people here with access to a lot of information about that first capsule. And who knows, somebody might be willing to let one of their 'finds' go!

Hi Leo,

Welcome.

I just might have a few unpublished photographs or color 35mm slides of the Westinghouse building and related interiors in 1939/40. Let me know if you have interest and I'll PKM you a scan or two.

MagikBilly

Hi Leo,

Where did you come across the Book of Record?

Is it yours?

Hi Doug,

Right now I have two copies; an ex-library copy and a limited edition copy found in Amsterdam. It was given by Leonard Gold (of the Prestige Book Company, the editor of the Book of Record) to a Dutch nephew.

You can find more Books of Record on http://www.addall.com but they all are rather expensive.

All the best,

Leo

Hi again,

The last year two copies of the Book of Record were sold on eBay for an average price of $ 175.-, so I think $ 3,000 is a bit to much....

On the other hand: there are no copies for sale anymore...

I have an interest in the brown soft cover copy, so if anyone wants to sell please let me know.

Thanx,

Leo

Hello Leo,

Welcome to PTU. Also, thanks for sharing that pic of the Book of Record presentation letter. I love the coffee stain. You'd think that someone would have a little more respect for a tiny bit of history than to rest his/her coffee mug on it. But then again, not everyone is crazy enough to collect items from the World's Fairs (like most of us at PTU do) and it was probably seen as not much more than a scrap of meaningless paper! Oh well...

You'd think that someone would have a little more respect for a tiny bit of history than to rest his/her coffee mug on it.

Maybe the "coffee mug test" was one of the experiments carried out by the Bureau of Standards.

It is rather interesing though - Despite all of the tests designed to maximize the longevity of these books, I wonder how realistic it is to expect that even one of these books will survive after 5,000 years of exposure to the air, humidity, etc. as well as apathy from future generations (we already see libraries dumping their copies of these books).

Digitizing the information may be the only way to guarantee that future generations will be able to see this material. But then again, I don't think I have a computer that can read a floppy disk anymore, so who knows if future generations will even be able to retrieve the digital information we are creating using today's common storage formats...

Best Regards,

Kevin

True enough Kevin.

Despite all the "testing" they are still just physical books that will deteriorate over the centuries. That is, of course, unless some of the depositories actually thought they were important enough to REALLY take care of (which I kind of doubt since, like you said, libraries are already getting rid of them--after less than even one century!). Then you have to look at the curent digital storage media and wonder if (like the floppies) they will become obselete and replaced by something better and not even be readable in 5,000 years. Not to mention the fact that there is talk that CDs and DVDs may not last as long as they were previously expected to...

In the end it might come down to (kooky) collectors like ourselves to be the solemn keepers of the information that was previously entrusted to the "safe" depositories!

By the way, I still don't own one of the books of record. I am always on the lookout for one (as long as it is cheap of course--$3,000+ is a little steep for me at the moment). I wonder if "1924" owns one (or two, or three, or four...)?

In the end it might come down to (kooky) collectors like ourselves to be the solemn keepers of the information that was previously entrusted to the "safe" depositories!

And our decendents may end up like those kids in that Mad Max movie who create the whole mythology around a View-Master reel...

Kevin

Hi there,

One of the most fascinating things about the Time Capsule project is the accuracy with everything was done. If you see how much work was done for the choice of the paper for the Book of Record only, you know that we don't have to be afraid it will not survive those 5,000 years. A lot af mediaval manuscripts survived hundreds of years in more difficult conditions than there are in most libraries now (climate control!).

If you want to learn more about the paper of the Book of Record, see the attached photos.

Btw, I have an extra copy of the Book (ex-library copy) and if there is an interest in it I can sell it or put it on eBay.

All the best,

Leo

Hi All,

I am thinking it may well be underwater in five thousand years. What is the nature of the site? Is migration or sinking further factors in play over that stretch of time?

MB

I recall I used to keep a 1939 Westinghouse bookmark in my copy, which was from a Library of Medicine in Washington. BTW, anyone ever figure out why the 1940 bookmarks were longer? While were on the subject of "BTW" - does anyone know what building or exhibit the spherical glass bank with the unusual Chicago-esque 1939 NYWF logo/swoosh thing came from? It has an Official T&P very much like the plate glass block banks on the other side. My guess is the Petroleum building but I can't remember why i think that You see these banks from time to time on eBay - I am sure you all know which one I speak of. I do not think it is Esso but I am open to any ideas

MB

Btw, I have an extra copy of the Book (ex-library copy) and if there is an interest in it I can sell it or put it on eBay.

Leo

Yipes - can't we think of a better way to preserve it and keep it available than selling it to whomever on ebay? Evidently, most libraries are not the place, but where? Multiple digital copies scattered far and wide sounds good at first, but think how much of what you have had on a computer got transfered when you got a new computer, and how much was just deleted.

Any ideas?

The last time a Book of Record was sold on eBay the new owner paid $ 179 for it. I think that collectors who are willing to pay such a high price are much more dedicated to the preservation of the book then most libraries are... And besides private and public collections there are not many other possibilities, are there...?

Well, somebody got a better price than the $200 I paid back in March for a soft cover brown record, Leo. But as you've suggested, it'll at least have a safe place with me for many years to come. Wish there was some way I could scan it without damaging it-- I'd be happy to post it all here for an electronic record.

You're right though, MB. If there's any truth to "An Inconvenient Truth," Flushing Meadow may well be underwater in 500 years time. So hey-- if they never get around to doing anything with the NYSP-- at least it might make a great fishing reef!

Wish there was some way I could scan it without damaging it-- I'd be happy to post it all here for an electronic record.

I've found that my 8 MPixel digital camera makes an excellent stand-in for a scanner when forcing something flat is not good. Could you get hold of a camera and a tripod to copy the book?

post-1405-1232568367_thumb.jpgpost-1405-1232568387_thumb.jpgHi again,

I will put a(n original) Book of Record for sale on eBay. It's an ex library copy from the Spokane Public Library. The auction starts after my vacation on August 3.

Wish you luck!

Leo

What does it say about the trustees of our archives?

More worried about their pensions than the treasures they've been entrusted to protect.

The National Archives lost JFK's BRAIN for God's sake!

I caught the president of our local historical society throwing out old town records. She was trashing hundred-year-old welfare records because she felt that it could embarrass someone if word got out that a family member received assistance from the town in 1885! Clearly, she was clearing them out because she wanted to make room in the vault at the old town hall for stuff that was more important to HER.