Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Mystery Department Store

Okay, not to beat a dead horse or anything, but...

I just picked up a postcard yesterday ....The postcard is for the HO-HO Restaurant in New York City ... it also states that they are open for..."Luncheon - Dinner - Supper" . Sorry, I guess the mystery endures.

This I think I could understand - in my way of thinking, "Supper" would be a light late-night meal after the theater.

This meandering thread fired off all sorts of neurons that haven't seen action since dad took me to that very White Castle where I graduated from 3 burgers to 4, with hot chocolate, as we listened to the Jets on the car radio. Thanks PTUers.

*That woman not selling her property was a big NYC deal, at least in my family's circle. I wanted the round Macy's for the coolness factor, but had to admit she had her rights. We drove out there to see the 'notch' like other families visited Mt. Rushmore.

Afikoman mentions Alexander's where I saw Santa Claus and as some kind of 'prize', which mom paid for, got a make-it-yourself construction pop-up type of WF book. You cut out the sections of the pavilions from the page, folded them into 3-D form and then glued or taped them in place. Don't remember the details but do recall the US Pavilion, and Port Authority being two of them.

I'd love for someone to help me out about that book because that distant memory quasar resists further probing.

(At the Alexander's by Bloomingdale's I waited in line to see Napoleon Solo and Illya Kuryakin. (Never found U.N.C.L.E.'s midtown tailor shop/headquarters entrance, though I looked.))

*Chas Aybar's winged bank was a big deal too. It's futuristic design was memorable, and it's copper roof caused me to hear the word 'patina' for the first time.

*IN NYC we ate 'dinner' in the evening, like civilized people. Moving to the PA anthracite region for Jr year high school, a classmate insisted he ate 'supper' on Sunday afternoons with such adamance that I chose never to raise the subject again any more than I'd cast doubt on his mother's honor.

*Modern justifications of Eminent Domain are gravely troubling. My own experience with government demonstrates politicians will do ANYTHING they think they can get away with. They blithely re-characterize property uses, re-interpret definitions, and re-calculate projected budgets at will.

Whether you're in the right or the wrong is completely irrelevant. They fatigue you with legal challenges absorbing infinite amounts of money and time until your life is like a deranged Gene Hackman's in the final scene of The Conversation. Congratulations on your Pyrrhic victory. Blow your sax.

How many days can you take off from work to sit on your couch sipping coffee and looking at the clock waiting to be taken to testify in court only to be told when you get there the trial was postponed? In my case, they did that to me (and cops and other witnesses) three times. And if any of us had faltered, the defendant would walk.

Bugs Bunny succeeded because he had all that Warner Bros clout behind him. (Thanks for mentioning him BTW. Every lesson you need to learn in life is taught by BB.)

Real life, from Salem witch-hunts to 1930s Germany, offers less appealing outcomes of mob-rule in the guise of caring government. ("Witches" and Jews both not-coincidentally had their property seized.)

If pols go too far, they merely lose re-election, then make more money working for their former backers in the private sector, while the community spends what's left of your tax dollars endlessly suing itself.

More complex property cases provide more incentive and opportunities to obfuscate. Expecting politicians not to act in their own interest is like expecting a cat to catch a frisbee, bark, and obey Supreme Court rulings to stay off the furniture.

Open channel "D".

Afikoman mentions Alexander's where I saw Santa Claus and as some kind of 'prize', which mom paid for, got a make-it-yourself construction pop-up type of WF book. You cut out the sections of the pavilions from the page, folded them into 3-D form and then glued or taped them in place. Don't remember the details but do recall the US Pavilion, and Port Authority being two of them.

I'd love for someone to help me out about that book because that distant memory quasar resists further probing.

Okay, now that I've calmed down,

FIRST of all, thank you for absolutely making my day by posting what is obviously the book I asked about. Today was Christmas morning all over again. I owe you a cold beer.

I thought that request was too obscure even for PTU.

In the past weeks I've come up with questions, re Ford badges for instance, only to have them answered by a search returning not just an answer, but page after page of photographs and encyclopedic rumination. I've run out of things to ask you geniuses.

I was astonished to unearth a long post about the future of Fairs that made me think the poster copied my thoughts on the same subject. Problem is, his were posted years before mine. How he managed to do that is beyond me.

SECONDLY, thanks for proving that after decades of abuse I retain functioning brain cells. My mental image of a US and Port Auth pavilion in that book was like the Hubble Space Telescope's Deep Field view of ultra-distant galactic smudges. I anticipated being WAY off the mark. You boosted my confidence. The older I get, the more I need that. (The Westinghouse towers lit a neuron too!)

So my alien abduction DID happen! That explains a lot!

PS Just saw your subsequent Make-a-Model post and feel responsible for the destruction of your landfill! (Is that the proper PTU term?) If I hadn't asked, that book'd still be in one piece.

As penance, I'm buying a scanner, even though my relevant WF slides are already scanned. And I'm having a cold beer myself.

So, what do those movable sky ride cars move across?

Seriously waynebretl, you made my day. Thanks for taking the trouble to post that.

I was just mentioned in an article in the Bergen Record regarding an effort to save a mid-century Danish Modern wall sculpture from the Bergen Mall, Paramus NJ. Perhaps someone out there with the collective sleuthing skills so frequently demonstrated here can come up with an idea, or identify the artist.

http://www.northjersey.com/news/Wave_go ... mural.html

Also, my online tribute to the last preserved 1950's shopping mall is at http://www.myspace.com/bergen_mall

Check it out!!

I know that the historical value will be gone, but Bergen Mall was just old and tired. It became a second class place to shop. I do, however, miss my favorite store Value City!!!

I never even noticed that Wave sculpture that is now above Century 21!! Interesting - I hope it will be salvaged!

Attitudes like that are exactly why it is so hard to rally for historic preservation. But demolition / redevelopment in my opinion is at once a quick and easy fix, but also very shortsighted. When a place, (even run down) has wholly intact architectural or decorative elements then restoration is achievable. But not when people throw up their hands and just say 'its day has gone". You know, I really enjoy experiencing vintage places and environments. Even something as mundane as using a 1920's washroom is an unusual and enjoyable experience for me. But there are so few opportunities to do so these days.

Maverick,

I understand that your interest in the mall is one of historical preservation. But a mall's purpose is to generate sales, and if that mall isn't up to snuff with the competition, it must be made is competitive. It's a mall, not a museum. I am sensitive to your feelings about it, but I am sure you know that the bottom line is money, pure and simple.

The hundreds of thriving businesses that were forced out as a result of this redevelopment surely lost revenue and sales. The new owners who are investors/developers bought the mall and began this redevelopment because that is what they do. There was little or no concern for the negative impact to all of the businesses that have left, and the patrons. I have shopped exclusively there for years because it was so special but never will again now that it has been genericized. They courted new businesses (big box retailers) to come in and take over the spaces of decades long tenants. I have personally spoken with many of them. Leases were abruptly and prematurely terminated. It was not a happy situation. When the redevelopment is over, there will be less than five out of the hundreds of businesses in the new mall that were prospering in the old mall. Historic Preservation: To have restored would not have made it a museum, it would have remained as it always has... a piece of living working history. Many types of historic places have been fixed up and repurposed. In this case, no repurposing would have been necessary, just straight fixing up and restoration.

I guess I just it find hard to believe that very many merchants in that mall in recent years were thriving. The foot traffic there was moderate at best. And many of the stores had pretty schlocky stuff. I am not a fancy, high-end kind of shopper (Riverside Square is too expensive for my blood), and I am a Marshalls, TJ Maxx person, and even still Bergen Mall was mostly pretty junky stuff. And those reasons alone indicate it was time for some revitalization.

Just one woman's opinion!

Bottom line is 'No', I didn't find the artist of the Wave mural at the Bergen Mall, but it did start me on a recollection of a mural at JFK, and look what I found. They're tearing IT down as well !

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent ... 97b42.html

Talk about another brick OUT OF the wall in this case.

That stained glass artist was Robert Sowers designing n 1960.

The antique salvage company is Olde Good Things. Maybe they can help.

Then there's this from the Roosevelt Island Historical Society, which I didn't know existed, about their efforts to track down a savior for the Sowers mural.

http://rihs.us/index.php?option=com_con ... 8&Itemid=2

You know, all it takes is stumbling on the right person. And it never hurts to make calls out of the blue.

Someone knows who designed your mural. Good luck.

mid-century Danish Modern wall sculpture

The Danish/Scandinavian Society has a place on Park Ave crammed with and built of that type of design. They'd be flattered and highly motivated to help. That's their job!

http://www.amscan.org/

Thanks for the input folks, but I just got word that the piece has begun to be removed. 8 panels gone so far. I do not know what this means, as I have been out of communication with my contact at the mall but will find out Monday.

That stained glass building at JFK was beautiful, thanks for informing me about it. I don't remember seeing it though the few times I was there. I did however have drinks in the floating pod cocktail lounge in the TWA building when it was still open. What a cool building that was too. Back to the stained glass.... I do not remember any trip through JFK fondly. It is certainly no longer a place of beauty, or thought-out design. It is a maze of an ugly slab these days, thats for sure. The most lousy welcome for arrivals from abroad. What a first impression of New York they get. In terms of American Airlines, this episode is just another in a long list of reasons not to fly them. They are literally the worst airlines I have ever flown. I actually had to take them to small claims court to pay for lost luggage they promised then refused to pay for. (I won).

Maverick I loved your tribute to the Bergen Mall. That Shop Rite store with the semi-circle roof - was that originally a Grand Union? It has always reminded me of the Grand Way on Route 17 at Linwood Avenue in Paramus (Ridgewood).

Grand Way was where I got all my Beatles records, Barbie & Ken clothes and even my first troll from the gumball machine. I loved, loved, loved that store. It is now a KMart. I still call it Grand Way and everyone in Bergen County knows what I am talking about.

Maverick I loved your tribute to the Bergen Mall. That Shop Rite store with the semi-circle roof - was that originally a Grand Union? It has always reminded me of the Grand Way on Route 17 at Linwood Avenue in Paramus (Ridgewood).

Grand Way was where I got all my Beatles records, Barbie & Ken clothes and even my first troll from the gumball machine. I loved, loved, loved that store. It is now a KMart. I still call it Grand Way and everyone in Bergen County knows what I am talking about.

I was Santa Claus and Easter Bunny at Bergen Mall from 1983-1987. The Shop Rite was always a Shop Rite as far back as I know, which is 1967.

There was another Grand Way in Ridgewood that I helped liquidate back around 1977. Ah, memories of my misspent youth in Bergen County!

Thanks for the comments folks! I know the store you are referring to Mary Ellen, and Bogframe... if you have any photos of the mall in its heyday, please share them on the myspace page!

Thanks for the comments folks! I know the store you are referring to Mary Ellen, and Bogframe... if you have any photos of the mall in its heyday, please share them on the myspace page!

Sorry, that's the only one I have. If you want, I'll let you use it in exchange for a 6-pack of Moxie!