Sign in to follow this  
worldsfairent

They Want How Much?!

Okay, look... I'm an avowed 39 Fair NUT who probably could've bankrolled my own World's Fair at this point for all the money I've spent over the years on assorted useless gew-gaws.

But am I missing something here? Who's gonna drop this kinda coin on this...

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/RARE-New-York-1939-WORLDS-FAIR-Autograph-book-w-photos_W0QQitemZ7772113422QQcategoryZ4168QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Autograph Book</a>

Or this (complete with bent (!) Trylon)...

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/1939-New-York-Worlds-Fair-Ice-Bucket-Trylon-Perisphere_W0QQitemZ7773709168QQihZ018QQcategoryZ4168QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Ice Bucket</a>

I mean, come on... even Mr. 1924 ain't touchin' this stuff.

Things are only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. These will never sell.. Ebay will make money though on the insertion fees.

Anybody can ask anything for an item. Getting it is another bet.

There's one guy that periodically lists some Expo 58 slides for some amazing amount. Slides from that usually go for $2-3 each. This guy asks several hundred dollars each. Over and over, paying fees to eBay each time. You think that after a year of this he might have some clue that no one is likely to buy it at that price, then do some homework and set a realistic price.

At least these "sellers" are good for a laugh!

Bill

Yeah... you're absolutely right, Bill. Much like the slides, here's another 39 piece that's repeatedly relisted but never sells:

<a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-1939-New-York-Worlds-Fair-Flagpole-Sign-Base_W0QQitemZ7421481482QQcategoryZ12QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">Flagpole Base</a>

High end-- and I mean HIGH end-- $250 to $300 MAX. I mean, several of the personal autographs are cute, don't get me wrong-- the sentimental sap in me would probably pay more for those than anything. But it's not like they're famous signatures-- or that the photos enclosed are originals. It is in good shape-- but insanely, laughably, AMATEURISHLY over-priced.

The autograph book is a nice item, what does it go for usually?

I have several of these. With the box I have paid between 75-100. Without the box they are much more common and go for around $35-50.

Afiko's right-- I got mine for $100 with the box. But the most I've seen was a $250 purchase at the Bustamante antiques show in Santa Monica a coupla years ago-- hence my "HIGH" end assessment. But for $3,500-- it better be flawless in the box and handed to me by Grover Whalen returned from the grave!

There are seven or eight of those "flagpole" base things at the NYS Fairgrounds in Syracuse.

There are seven or eight of those "flagpole" base things at the NYS Fairgrounds in Syracuse.

I thought I saw one (or something very similar) at Adria, but don't recall the price. I couldn't afford it, that much I know.

I thought I saw one (or something very similar) at Adria, but don't recall the price. I couldn't afford it, that much I know.

That was a parking sign base. There was one from Peter Warner's collection for sale at recent Phil Weiss auction about 3-4 months ago. It went for only $35 at the auction and was not priced (surpise) at The Adria show. The auction house called it a parking sign base but it might have had several uses.

Yes, the ones I have seen are bases for those ropes to keep people in line or to section off exhibits etc. They would be too small to hold a flag pole of any real size.

Wow. I'm not even a huge comics fan and I want that one. But at that price-- the Green Lantern better fly it over to my house himself. And he better drop Wonder Woman off with it.

This comic book has been graded and sealed by CGC. Such comic books often go for twice, if not three times, that of non CGC comics.

Professionally graded, and sealed, comic books are in very high demand. The condition of such comic books are assured, as they have been graded by experts in the field. Such comic books have also been sealed, in high quality Mylar, (the grade, with reasons for it are clearly listed on the comic book casing.) so that no further damage can occur.

Once the seal is broken, the comic book is significantly devalued.

This comic book also has the fact that it's the third golden age appearance of the Green lantern going for it.

It's a premium comic book, and thus commands a premium price.

Rose, proud comic book geek

So if you spend all that money on it you can't even read it without destroying much of its value?

I'll wait for it to come out on CD.

I don't think I've seen this example of a World's Fair superhero comic. I've seen many examples of the Superman and Batman ones (online at least--not in person). It's always nice to see something I haven't seen before, even if I would never be able to afford one for myself. Thanks for posting it.

By the way, did everyone notice that the person who was willing to bid $5,100 for this comic is "no longer a registered user"? Seems he/she has bid on a number of high value items (including a $25,000 yacht/speedboat and an $85,000 Porsche!) with no intention to buy the items, forcing Ebay to intervene and un-register him/her. I guess we've seen both bad sellers AND buyers on Ebay.

If anyone has an extra $5,100 lying around I would guess that this comic will be available again from this seller--where's 1924?

I certainly appreciate taking prudent steps to protect valuable ephemera of any kind-- but I guess I've never quite been able to understand the point in saving books, comic books, or toys that you can't actually read or play with. To me, a "sealed comic book" is like a candy bar glued into its wrapper. Why bother?

That bloody flagpole base was just relisted for $1,200! Gosh, I hope shipping is included.

Wow! That's beautiful....and very, very expensive.

I'm very glad to see that some part of the sale will go to a worthy charity.

I like the "untested" part. Gee, maybe D cell batteries are harder to find than I thought. Sure, untested. Anyone want to place a small wager on this thing working?