Sign in to follow this  
Glen Schultzberg

Educating The World About The NYWFs

Hello.

I just wanted to let everyone know that I did my little part to try to keep the New York World's Fairs in the public's eye. I work at the Worcester Public Library in Worcester, MA and two years ago I was able to utilize some of the display space available to the public in the library to mount a modest display of some of my memorabilia (or landfill as it were) from the 1939-40 and 1964-65 Fairs. I used my limited computer skills to make up a flyer for the occassion and publicized it in both the Worcester Telegram and the Worcester Magazine. Oh yeah, it was also mentioned on the local AM radio station.

I had five display cases at my disposal, so I used the first two for 1939-40 material and the last two for 1964-65 stuff. The middle case was for larger pieces and general information about the Fairs. I originally wanted to have it all up in April of 2004 to coincide with the 40th and 65th anniversaries of the openings of the two Fairs, but wasn't able to get access to the cases until June. I was able to leave the display up for most of the rest of the Summer though (about 2 1/2 months or so). I received some positive feedback and would like to think that maybe, just maybe, the display taught a few people a little about something that they may not have given much thought to previously.

I wish that I had been part of the PTU community back then so people who live in Massachusetts could have had the option to see it if they were interested, but what are you gonna do? Below are some photos of the display as it looked when it was up. If you have any trouble seeing them, I also am on the whatacollection.com website (which I know Bill Young is also on). The same photos appear there and can be found at <a href="http://www.whatacollection.com/page.php?k=370" target="_blank">http://www.whatacollection.com/page.php?k=370</a> .

Although there wasn't a ton of response to the display it still was fun to be able to put some of my stuff out on display, rather than having most of it stored in boxes in the attic at home. Hope someone gets a (belated by about two years) kick out of it.

That looks great! Good work, I wish I could have seen that exhibit. It's funny how similar your collection is to mine... I have an uncanny number of the exact same things you have in those pix, but you definately have more of the "premium" items. Thanks for sharing.

PS- that Schaeffer sign reminds me of a picture of the Schaeffer pavillion that was hanging in the restaurant at Pedro's South of the Border in Dillon S.C.

If I remember correctly, the family who owns Pedro's had something to do with the Schaeffer Pavilion. Can anyone corroborate or expand on this story?

That must have been a thrill to walk in and see your stuff there instead of just being packed away. It looks quite professional! Thanks for sharing.

It's funny how similar your collection is to mine... I have an uncanny number of the exact same things you have in those pix, but you definately have more of the "premium" items.

Thanks for the kind words Maverick (and Bill too). I put the display up on a day the library was closed, so I was able to spend quite a long time setting it up so that everything looked "just right". I have to admit that I'm a collector with limited funds. I search for bargains (and could never compete with certain people on Ebay) and most of my stuff was purchased on the cheap. There have been a few times I was lucky enough to get a great price on a nice item, but in general many of my "premium" items are actually not in mint condition. I still enjoy having it even if it has a little chip here or there.

Hi Glen,

Aha! Now I know why your name sounded familiar - your "Woosta" library display was mentioned here on PTU last summer!

<a href="http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/index.php?s=&showtopic=4448&view=findpost&p=30250" target="_blank">http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/i...indpost&p=30250</a>

It's nice to finally make the connection!

Best Regards,

Kevin

PS - Great pix too!

Great job Glen!

By the way, I thought of you and Eric Paddon this week when I visited the Library of Congress, and in their gift shop they had the 'Deluxe Librarian Action Figure, with Amazing Push-Button Shushing Action".

http://www.stupid.com/stat/LIBR.html

The version they had for sale not only had the figure and the miniature books, but also a push cart and a computer (to look up things on the digitized card catalog).

11548.jpg

I checked it on the net and found that librarians around the world are disgusted by this doll- ESPECIALLY the shushing action- ; but I found it in pretty good humor- we should all be cool enough to laugh at ourselves, right?

And if it's carried in the gift shop right there in the Library of Congress, who's to argue?

Besides the librarian, they also had the Freud and Einstein action dolls shown on the link above, so librarians are in good company.

Glen, I just found this thread. You could host your own world's fair with all of that great stuff. When I was reading the post, I initially pictured a small display case tucked off in a corner and I figured that what you were doing was cool and all. Then I scrolled down and found those photographs and could not believe the extent of your collection and the quality of the display.

I hope that you received a great deal of positive feedback from many people who enjoyed your display. If I walked into a library or into any institution and saw a display like that, I would be blown away.

Well done!

Jim

Great display - thanks for posting!

Aha! Now I know why your name sounded familiar - your "Woosta" library display was mentioned here on PTU last summer!

Thank you everyone for the kind words! It means a lot knowing that it's coming from people who appreciate the Fairs, and who have some pretty impressive collections themselves.

Kevin, thanks for the link to the old thread about the display. I'm honored to know that I was talked about at PTU before I even joined. I was aware of PTU at the time of my exhibit, but I hadn't really checked it out at the time. I don't know why I never got Bill's message inviting me to check out PTU (I would have definitely joined earlier than I did. My e-mail is still the same as it was back then. I wonder if there was some kind of a problem with the whatacollection.com site that prevented me from getting the message.

Randy, I have indeed seen the Librarian action figure. They have it at in the Archie McFee catalog and I have considered buying one. Yeah, I think you need to have a sense of humor about yourself. Although the doll may mimic the "stereotypical" appearance of an old-time-type librarian, I can appreciate that it's all done in fun. We are living in such a politically correct world today that everyone's afraid to do/say anything that might offend someone. I won't go any further with that thought, it would be off topic and I could go on and on... By the way, I hope you enjoyed your DC trip. I enjoyed reading all the updates and plan on writing something in that thread as soon as I find the time.

Jim, I have to admit that I was a little surprised by how extensive my collection looked when it was out on display. When it's all sitting in boxes it's difficult to envision just how much there is (unless you're smart enough to have everything cataloged--which I'm not). I'll bet that many PTUers would be surprised at just how impressive their collection would look if they had a chance to properly display it (ask at your local libraries if they have display space available, it's kind of fun to have it out there for everyone to see!). Thanks again for all the kind words. I really do appreciate it!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Kevin, I got a kick out of the "Woosta" mention. I also respond to "Worchester" and "Wormtown"!

Oh yeah, almost forgot. Kevin, I got a kick out of the "Woosta" mention. I also respond to "Worchester" and "Wormtown"!

Thanks Glen,

The local pronounciation of the town of Worcester (Woosta) was something that I picked up while I lived in Scarboro (Skahbro), Maine back in the late-70's/early-80's.

In addition, my step-mother grew up in Auburn, MA - and can occasionally be coaxed into singing the "Auburn Dandies" fight song from her cheerleading days of long ago...

Best Regards,

Kevin

That's great Kevin (or should I say that's wicked pisser?).

I have only been living in Auburn for a little over three years, but I have heard a little about the "Dandies". The high school's teams now go by the monicker "Rockets". I guess that sounds a little tougher than "Dandies", doesn't it? On a related note that your grandmother might be interested in (if she doesn't already know), they are almost done building a brand spankin' new Auburn High School. When completed they are going to tear down the original 1935 school building that your grandmother probably attended. There has been much debate over this subject, and it kind of reminds me of the save-the-NYSP/tear-the-NYSP-down debate at Flushing meadows. Once again a piece of a town's history is going to be eradicated in the name of progress. Sorry to get off topic, but I thought you might be interested to hear this.

Oh, one more off-topic topic. The previously mentioned Auburn Rockets are named after Robert Goddard, who launched the first liquid-fueled rocket in Auburn. He is more frequently associated with Worcester, but Auburn did play an important role in his life and work. When in Washington DC two years ago I was proud to see a model of the rocket (with a plaque that even mentioned Auburn!) in the entrance gallery of the National Air & Space Museum. I should have told Randy to look out for it, but of course Auburn, Massachusetts probably doesn't hold a lot of interest for him personally.

The local pronounciation of the town of Worcester (Woosta) was something that I picked up while I lived in Scarboro (Skahbro), Maine back in the late-70's/early-80's.

Best Regards,

Kevin

Hi Kevin,

Did you ever visit Prouts Neck? It is my favourite place on earth - that and the Black Point. I recall being shown around Homer's studio by Doris Homer - quite a nice lady! As far as Goddard, another fascinating figure - that 1926 rocket mentioned in Washington was the first to carry its opwn oxygen - ran of gasoline I think. The other rocket they have, from 1944 - not a model - employed a gyro with "vanes" and was the first to do so. I read much abt him as a school boy - great man.

MB

Nice work-- and nice collection, Glen! You've inspired me to try and do the same at our local library.

Awesome! I hope you do!

I hadn't originally thought of this when I decided to post the photos (it was mostly because I finally went ahead and learned HOW to post photos to PTU--I'm a little slow on the technology), but many public libraries do indeed have display areas that the public can arrange to use. They seem to mostly be filled by local artists showcasing their latest stuff, or the local schools showing the kids' stuff from the last art show. Otherwise they tend to be empty a lot of the time. It couldn't hurt for some ambitious PTUers to ask their library if they could mount a World's Fair display. The library's staff would probably be happy to have the display cases used rather than being empty.

I can say from experience that it's pretty neat to see all of (or as much as there is room for) one's stuff out on public display. Like I said, it certainly beats having it all stored away in boxes. And if anyone does go for it, you can always post the photos here, where you know you'll have an appreciative and supportive audience!

Oh yeah, I should mention that I have never done anything remotely like this before, so you certainly don't need experience putting displays together to make it work! My one regret was that I didn't make more little signs explaining what every little piece was, but that got a little tedious...

Glen

Did you ever visit Prouts Neck? It is my favourite place on earth - that and the Black Point...

Hi MB,

Actually, we lived just off of 207, which eventually splits and becomes Black Point Rd. to the south (and 77 to the north) so we were located about 2-3 miles from Prouts Neck.

I'm sure we went through there several times to look at all the rich people's houses, but that was 25-26 years ago, so I don't really remember it that well. Besides, I was in my mid-teens back then, so my idea of fun was going to the Aquaboggan or hanging out on the Pier at Old Orchard Beach. Boy, I could sure go for a slice of Lisa's Pizza right now!

Best Regards,

Kevin

Glen - Sorry to have hijacked your topic with stories of my youth spent in Maine...

Hi MB,

Actually, we lived just off of 207, which eventually splits and becomes Black Point Rd. to the south (and 77 to the north) so we were located about 2-3 miles from Prouts Neck.

I'm sure we went through there several times to look at all the rich people's houses, but that was 25-26 years ago, so I don't really remember it that well. Besides, I was in my mid-teens back then, so my idea of fun was going to the Aquaboggan or hanging out on the Pier at Old Orchard Beach. Boy, I could sure go for a slice of Lisa's Pizza right now!

Best Regards,

Kevin

Ahh, Kevin - now I am thinking of eating at the Dunstan Schoolhouse..or the killer Sunday brunch at the Black Point. I actually used to go up specifically for Nor'easters and snowstorms. I have some amazing photographs from those days. It is a wonder I am still here - I recall more than once being "trapped" by incoming tides while WAY off the marginal path in January. I have a wonderful little book by the same folks who put out Bill's book - Arcadia/Tempus - it is called Scarboro and has many old photographs of the area - you's enjoy it surely and I recommend it. It is by Rodney Laughton, a really nice guy who runs a hotel a little further north of Prouts.

Best,

MB

Hi again everyone,

I don't mean to beat a dead horse or anything...but I just found a few more pics from the library exhibit that I thought I might as well post.

I know that you can't actually read the writing on the advertising poster that I made up, but since this was the one part of the project (along with the smaller 8 1/2" x 11" versions) that actually cost me money to have printed, I figured I might as well show it off too.

Glen

Glen, sorry I'm late discovering the thread. That was a magnificent looking display, and it's nice you were able to share your things with a wider audience. Reminds me of the nice display at the former Wisconsin Pavilion that Bill had contributed some items to.

Oh and Randy, thanks for the laugh with that librarian action figure! I doubt though I'll have the courage to show that to my superiors at where I do the library work.

Eric,

Thank you for the nice words. It is certainly an honor to be mentioned in the same breath as Bill!

By the way, I haven't had the pleasure of visiting the Wisconsin pavilion yet. Does anyone know if there are any photos of the World's Fair collection (featuring Bill's items) at the pavilion floating around here at PTU somewhere? I did a search but couldn't find anything. Probably not doing it right or something.

Unfortunately the light wasn't really good enough to take pictures (plus the space is a bit narrow to get a good view through the camera) but I can offer this of the Wisconsin pavilion model inside the building.

Thank you Eric,

There's a number of places that I need to find the time (and money) to visit to see as many World's Fair legacies as possible before it's too late (especially in light of the Christian Science pavilion's recent demolition).

Not that I needed any more reason to visit the Wisconsin pavilion than the fact that it IS the Wisconsin pavilion, but that model would make the visit even more rewarding.

Glen

Hello Glen.

I also apologize for visiting your thread so late in it's history.

One question:

Why couldn't I find your display, and collection, and you (for world fair fellowship) when I was in MA????

I'm from Fall River, originally. I've also lived in various parts of MA. "Woosta" was not far away at all, once.

I'm like you: I look for fair bargains. You'll find me in the eBay auctions that start under $15. Now and then I'll splurge way up into the $30 dollar range.

Feel no shame in starting small, or searching for bargains. I'm sure you've noted that one's collection grows no matter where one starts.

Thanks for sharing your collection with us and others. Your helping this great legacy live again.