Sign in to follow this  
Yadda Yadda

Another '39 versus '64 (really '65) Comparision

Hi All,

I found another pair of photos that showcase the differences between the 1939-40 and 1964-65 fairs - and the best part is that they are both in color!!

The '39 photo is from the June 1940 issue of National Geographic, and the '65 photo is a Corbis photo from my collection.

post-4163-1226781303_thumb.jpg

PS - I have scaled the images so that the Unisphere is precisely 2/3 the size of the Perisphere, so the scaling between the two photos should be fairly accurate...

I hope you all like them!

Best Regards,

Kevin

Hello All,

could someone plwease post a jpeg of this, or send it to me in a PM or something? I can't open this at all

I can't seem to fix what I need to re pops, hypertransfer wharever etc..

Thanks,

MB

How about a url?

<a href="http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=2436" target="_blank">http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/i...pe=post&id=2436</a>

You do have the free Adobe Reader, don't you? (if not, you'll need it)

<a href="http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html" target="_blank">http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html</a>

Hello All,

could someone plwease post a jpeg of this, or send it to me in a PM or something? I can't open this at all

I can't seem to fix what I need to re pops, hypertransfer wharever etc..

Thanks,

MB

Hi MB,

I just sent it to your yahoo e-mail account...

Best Regards,

Kevin

Bee-yooti -ful! Thanks

Dear All,

Files rec'vd - thanks Kevin etc. I will attempt an astounding overlay - these photos are great for it. I recall the Nat. Geo image from a post long ago. Excellent images. The '39 Aquacade still is commanding in 1965.

Thanks!!!

MB

Very impressive photographs....

I am often struck by the fact that in just four years (1939, 1940, 1964, 1965) nearly 100 million people walked those grounds and enjoyed the experience of a lifetime. And in these two comparison images, it is easy to see why so many were drawn to each fair.

Kevin:

Very nice comparison indeed!

As a frequent swimmer at the Aquacade post 1965, I wonder what the condition was before the second fair was built? I can tell you when the pool opened in 1967, it already needed alot of work! The seats needed to be painted as they were flaking off paint, the hallways had large cracks in several walls, and the pool was needing a good paint job as well. Occassionally, the place was lit up at night, including the pool, seating areas and facade. There was hardly any money invested in this place, but for 15 cents admission, who cared! The snack bar was located on the side of the building, in a separate facility and operated by Restaurant Associates.

Does anyone know what the Aquacade was like in the 1950's thru early 1960's?

Does anyone know what the Aquacade was like in the 1950's thru early 1960's?

That really is an excellent comparison, and a couple of great photos Kevin. Thanks for posting them

Chas,

I'm sure there's an easier way to direct you to this, but I think you can find exactly the information you need as far as the Aquacade's use between the Fairs if you follow these directions to another chat about exactly that subject. Go to the "1939-40 New York World's Fair" forums area of PTU. Under the forum "After The Gates Closed" is a sub-forum called "The Aquacade in the 1950's". The topic in that one should answer your questions--"Aquarama-The Greatest Variety Show on Earth". I'm sure it would have been easier to simply give you a link to the discussion, but I'm still new around here and don't know all the tricks of the trade yet. Sorry.

By the way, I didn't realize that there was public swimming in the Aquacade in the late 60's. Thanks for that piece of information (which I'm sure is noted somewhere here at PTU, but in a place I haven't explored yet...

Thanks Glen for the link.

Other than myself, I know that Hoodlock swam during the same years I did at the Aquacade. I also know that he was there pre-1964. Bruce, can you shed some light on the pool back then?

Other than myself, I know that Hoodlock swam during the same years I did at the Aquacade. I also know that he was there pre-1964. Bruce, can you shed some light on the pool back then?

I have to admit that I didn't realize that the Aquacade was used for public swimming. It makes me feel better about the place knowing that it got so much use between the Fairs for water shows, and that it was still used for a time after the 64-65 Fair for public swimming. I mentioned the footage I have seen of the Aquacade shortly before demolition (I never had a chance to see it in person). I know that it was originally designed to be a permanent structure and was sad to see how dilapidated it had become. I feel better knowing just how much non-Fair use it had. I suppose it was rather old by the time it was torn down, and you don't exactly see a lot of demand for water shows of the type that were shown there from the time of the Fairs (and between). I still wish it was there today (in better shape of course), but feel I understand its history and the reasons it was torn down better now.

I suppose that the fate of the Aquacade is a warning to those who are concerned about the NYS Pavilion. At the end, the Aquacade had no real function or purpose and nobody to care for it and it slid into disrepair and was finally demolished. It appeared to those in power that there was just no other course of action other than demolition. It had become just a matter of time. That does not make its loss any more palatable, of course.

The citizens of New York City own not only the NYS Pavilion, but the whole dad gum park.

The answer lies in the voting booth.

Vote the right people into office and the Astral Fountain and the Pool of Industry fountain could be fired up again almost overnight, basically for chump change.

And a serious pursuit of what to do with the NYS Pavilion could move forward. Nothing is happening because the people the good citizens chose to vote into office don't WANT anything to happen. Life is a series of choices.

Kevin-- BRAVO for posting such great comparative photos! Have always wanted to look at both fairgrounds from roughly the same vantage point-- and now you've delivered the goods. Would be nice to have a third shot that shows what it looks like today. Or maybe just depressing. Either way, thanks!

I took Kevin's amazing photos and tried to add the same angle from Google Earth imagery for a present day view. The 2D digital angle lacks all the fine detail of Kevin's shots-- but still kind of interesting-slash-depressing. Next time I'm in NYC, maybe I'll tie some balloons to a lawn chair and go up for my own shot.

post-1405-1227327718_thumb.jpg

Sure, Bill-- here's a larger view of the three way comparison, attached as a .pdf file. For some reason, every time I tried to post a bigger jpeg, I kept getting error messages. Anyway, enjoy-- and have a great weekend! - Trey

loverly!