Randy Treadway

Magazine of the Day

Today's magazine of the day is....

the Winter '64 issue of Models and Modelers World.

It features several articles on the subject of the use of models in designing and building the World's Fair. Be forewarned- it's not very technically advanced, seemingly written for the pre-teen or teenager crowd.

I've also included 'in the package' some other goodies like how a 12 year-old upset the competition and won a Thunderbird convertible on the Johnny Carson show- several years before he could legally drive it.

Enjoy!

P.S.- remember the Weirdo-Ohs ?

http://randytreadway.com/Models.pdf

6 megs, so be patient....

Thanks for sharing this Randy!

I got beat out in an auction for this magazine several months back, so it's nice to finally have the chance to see what was in it!

BTW - Here are a couple clearer shots of Hawaii and New England States models from the article:

<!--coloro:#FF0000--><span style="color:#FF0000"><!--/coloro-->(Courtesy of the Pender Collection)<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc-->

Best Regards,

Kevin

Seems to be down this morning, but I thought it's because I'm behind a corporate firewall. Is it working for anybody else?

Maybe it exceeded a download quota for a single file or something.

I checked my quota for data transfer- it's 25 GB a month, which I've hardly touched. It doesn't say anything about single file access. Maybe there's an unpublished limit on concurrent hits on a single file.

I guess I should clarify my response above in that I didn't actually "open" it directly from the link. Instead I did a right-click on the link, and then chose "Save Target As..."

Once the file was fully downloaded to my hard-drive, I opened from there.

Works for me now too.

It must have been a gremlin.

(Did you ever wonder why, oh why, did American Motors choose that as the name for one of their cars? And why, oh why, would anybody even consider buying a car with that name?!! That's like Chrysler Corp coming out with the "Dodge Lemon")

They could have called it anything and it wouldn't have made a difference - it was so UGLY! Maybe they thought no one would notice the name and went with it as an inside joke. In all seriousness, though, you're right. What were they thinking????

Thanks all for the posts (working now)

They could have called it anything and it wouldn't have made a difference - it was so UGLY! Maybe they thought no one would notice the name and went with it as an inside joke. In all seriousness, though, you're right. What were they thinking????

Bill, you must remember the late 60s, does that answer the question?

Hey Bill I owned a 1972 Gremlin. Had it for 5 years till it was totaled by an old man who ran a stop sign. Bent the axel and that was it. It was a great car. Lots of room inside, was great on gas, which was a plus as I had it during the second gas crisis in 1979. And I Liked the look of it, it was unique. When you saw one on the road you knew instantly what it was. AMC in thier hey day dared to build cars that looked different from the other car companys. The late 60s and early 70s were great years for AMC. unfortunatly they seemed to have lost thier way by the end of the decade.

Randy, any chance you could repost this?  (If it's handy)  Thanks.

I wonder if this is what inspired Rob Bianco to build his model?

(Now I wonder what happened to that "Tower of Light" model?)

I had to try four times to get a complete download.