Bill Cotter

Latest updates to WorldsFairPhotos.com

Bill, you wrote about Lincoln's bust:

"For some reason people started rubbing the nose of the Lincoln bust as a good luck charm. So many visitors joined in that the patina was rubbed away."

This implies that rubbing the bust's nose was a World's Fair phenomenon, but I want to point out that it was already a tradition at Lincoln's tomb well before the Fair.

Thanks, Wayne. I've clarified it on that page and it will be included in tonight's updated. From what I read it seems to be a problem common to several Lincoln busts and statues, much to the annoyance of some curators!

This reminds me of a visit to a Rodin museum (at Stanford, I think?), where they encouraged visitors to touch the statues - through a polishing cloth!

Bill, you've been busy! Thanks

Yes, and working on more. I had started on the pages for the pavilions years ago, got sidetracked, then did them here and there. Mostly there. I decided it was time to march across the virtual Fairgrounds and get them all covered, finally. I was surprised to see how many I still needed to do. As long as I was adding new ones, I decided to expand others when I had new photos since the previous upload. I have the Transportation and Lake Amusement Areaa ahead of me and soon it will be on to the next Fair!!

After all, that's more important than cleaning up my office, right?

Darn, didn't know Alaska had a topo map and planetarium - wish I hadn't missed them.

On the Space Park page, what is that bell tower in the background? [...Ranger series of missions to the moon, which sent back detailed photos to be used in choosing possible landing sites for the upcoming Apollo lunar landings. (CDxx Set 302 #8)]

On the Space Park page, what is that bell tower in the background?

The bell tower was part of the Italian Festival restaurant.

Yes, as Randy said it was a restaurant, one of the themed Brass Rail offerings. You can spot it on your official Time-Life map between Eastern Air Lines and the Century Grill.

There are a few shots I still need, like Hertz, National Maritime Union, etc. I didn't have this Hertz one in my files as I hadn't grabbed all of Mike's shots before he took down his site.

Mike, ok with you to use it?

June 28, 2012

A BIG thanks to Kevin Carsh for scanning the 1982 Knoxville Official Guide Book for me. This was a big job indeed!!!

We had lunch at the former Hertz Travel Center several years ago at one of our Saturday in the Park, PTU gatherings. Is that still being run as a food venue at the Park, today?

I remember the brick wall still had holes in it from what must have been the Hertz signage during the Fair.

June 29, 2012

Now it's time to add some of the 1965 changes! Speaking of which, does anyone have any views of Continental Park? I see some shots showing a pretty barren plot where the Continental Circus stood in 1964 but no sign of the zoo, etc. listed for that site in the 1965 guidebook.

3 1965 views of Continental Park from the monorail.

Looks like a big tent for the Ringling Circus Museum. A number of outdoor carnival rides, one or two of which were moved from the Carousel area where they'd been located in 1964. A medium size building with red and white stripes which conceivably could have a small zoo inside- no way to tell. That building was there in '64 too. Don't see any zoo animals outside though.

Also 1 street-level pic that has to be mis-dated September '64. Has to be '65, I believe.