Bill Cotter

Latest updates to WorldsFairPhotos.com

When the board was upgraded/migrated to the current software a large number of pictures were orphaned. I believe they're in what is called the Gallery, but without a link back to the original posting. Randy has been the most knowledgeable on how to fix these broken links. Randy, can you point Al to the instructions you have been providing?

Some recent changes at WorldsFairPhotos.com

June 8, 2008

Expo '86: Added CDs #5-10

May 17, 2008

Expo 67: Added CDs #14-18

May 12, 2008

Added additional stories to the 1964-65 New York World's Fair Magazines and Newspapers section. Recent additions are marked with NEW at the end of the entry.

Regards

Bill

I realized I hadn't updated this in a while.

May 11, 2009

1964-1965 New York: Added new material on the Articles and Publications page.

May 10, 2009

Expo 86: Upgraded CD #1. Added McDonald's tray liner to the More Information page.

1939-40 New York: Added maps from both seasons to the Bonus Features section.

April 27, 2009

Expo 70: Added CD #6.

April 25, 2009

Expo 67: Upgraded CD #2 to feature 4000 DPI images.

NEW!! I've uploaded another set of background music. The tape was loaded to me by Joseph Petrucelli. The tape box was labeled "Recorded in the programmer room - 1965". The shows run about 20 minutes, so these are large files to download.

* The Broadway Show (please note that the original tape ended abruptly and was missing the last 2-3 seconds of music)

* The Famous Melodies Show

* The Patriotic Show

These shows were played at the Fountain of the Planets show in the evenings. There were five shows listed on the box but two of them (The College Songs Show and The Great Masters Show) were missing from the tape.

Here's a note that Joe had sent me that was very interesting:

I was the Project Manager for a company called "Commercial Radio and Sound Corp.

My boss was Art Schneider, a leader in the industry and way ahead of his time.

We designed, engineered, fabricated, supervised the installation, did all check outs for many of the Exhibits.

As Project Manager I was responsible for the design and insuring that the work was done and operational prior to the fair opening. If memory serves me right we started the engineering 2 yrs prior to the fair opening and were involved until the closing of the fair.

I was the PM for the Fairgrounds Sound System, the Ford Exhibit, Travelers and the daddy of them all, "The Fountain of the Planets" with its synchronized sound, water, fire works display. Many a night I spent out there to insure all was working. We had our share of problems but the Fair opened on time. To me it was a "Labor of Love".

I even worked on the Unisphere model that was made for publicity purposes prior to the fair opening where we had scrolling lights on the rings around the Unisphere.

I think Hamel and Langer were the Consulting Engineers?

I know that my boss was working with Robert Moses on this project. I also think that my company did the 1939-1940 Worlds Fair (way before my time, but I do remember attending with my Dad).

A BIG thanks to Joe for the loan.

As ever, if anyone can identify an of the other songs on the audio page please let me know.

http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/index-audio-video.htm

Pope Paul VI visits the World's Fair

On October 4, 1965 Pope Paul VI made a historic visit to New York, the first trip for any pope to the United States. On the way back home he stopped for a brief visit at the Vatican Pavilion. Visit worldsfaiphotos.com to listen to the audio of the NBC television feed. The segment runs slightly over 23 minutes, so it's a large file (33 MB). You can also listen to the report of his departure from Kennedy airport (28 minutes, 68 MB).

http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/index-audio-video.htm

November 1, 2009

October 26, 2009

October 25, 2009

October 21, 2009

I realized recently I hadn't added any new CDs from the 1964-65 New York World's Fair for quite some time - about two years it looks like. I've been scanning and cleaning up slides like mad, so I had quite a backlog to work with!

I just added TEN new CDs to my web site - http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/photos.htm. I hope to be adding more informational pages over the next two weeks as I relax during my vacation from the real job.

Hey Bill, I notice some of the earliest ones are listed as rescanned at 4000 DPI - is there a quick way to tell which ones I have (like, do the rescanned ones say so on the label?)

Now I have to survey which ones I'm missing!

If your label looks differently than the ones shown you will probably have the older version, Wayne. I think I changed most, if not all, of the labels as I updated them. The best way is to for sure check the properties of a file and see if it shows as 2900 DPI or 4000.

This topic has 388,000+ views? Wow!!

I saw that too and almost fell over laughing. I think the board blew a gasket somewhere - I could only wish my site generated that kind of interest!

• Like 1

Hmm, been a while since I updated this, so here goes.

March 9, 2011

March 8, 20111

March 7, 2011

March 5, 2011

• 1964-1965 New York: Updated the "Color Slides of Architects Renderings" list on the

Photo Lab Slides page.

• 1962 Seattle: Added "Souvenir Picture Book" to the

index page.

March 4, 2011

February 26, 2011

February 17, 2011

February 3, 2011

• 1964-1965 New York: Updated

Austria page to reflect loss of the former pavilion in a fire.

January 24, 2010

• 1962 Seattle: Added information on my newest

book from Arcadia Publishing to the index page.

1984 New Orleans: Added additional material to the Official Documents page.

1964 New York: Added additional material to the Magazine Articles page.