Sign in to follow this  
Bill Cotter

Remembering the Fair

Ready for a trip back to 1964? The time machine is still undergoing testing, but here's a video to help get you in the mood for the journey:

<a href="

" target="_blank">The 1964-1965 New York World's Fair Remembered</a>

I'll post a higher quality copy of this on my own site later as well. In the meantime, I hope this puts a smile on your face.

Thank You Bill, not only a smile on my face, but rekindled joy in my heart. A Very well done production.

A smile? Gee I'm crying! it's just awesome. Such high quality photos, wow, my cheapo film that

that we got with the new movie camera made everything pink, even when it was new and I lost

half the movies I took. You made my day!

I'm glad that folks are enjoying the video. I felt that particular song was a perfect match for the Fair, and have wanted to put something together for a while now. I recently upgraded my video editing software to Studio 10.5 Plus from Pinnacle, and it offered the "Ken Burns" zoom and pan effects.

Here's a link to some higher quality copies for those with high speed connections:

<a href="http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/index-audio-video.htm" target="_blank">http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/index-audio-video.htm</a>

I was surprised how much quality was lost on YouTube - but their price is right! These new copies have some minor editing changes as well as higher resolution and larger size.

What other songs come to mind for a sequel project?

Beautiful job!

Some possibilities for other music: "Dance of the hours" -- a classical piece popularized by Alan Sherman in Hello Muddah, Hello Faddah at the time. I keep thinking about an instrumental version of Elvis Costello's "(Whats so funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding" modifying the title to "(Whats so funny 'bout) Peace through Understanding".

Aimee Mann has a song called "Fifty Years After the Fair" and although the lyrics talk about the '39 Worlds Fair, I think it has potential for use on the '64 WF.

Frank Sinatra's "There Used to be a World's Fair (ballpark) Right Here"

Thank you, thank you, thank you, Bill. I don't know why, but that presentation left me with a lump in my throat. Maybe it is because, for just a few moments, I could again almost see my father and mother who have been gone for so long and for whom the trip to the Fair was a highlight of their lives.

Bill.

Tremendous! Perfect song for a wonderful event! Very sweet (especially the ending).

Thank you so much!

How about In My Life by the Beatles, or maybe A Summer Song by Chad & Jeremy?

Or if you're in a more raucous and rebellious mood, how about Gone Away by the Offspring?

Kevin

Last year my son put together a 50th Wedding Anniversary DVD video slide show for my parents (his grandparents) using slides I'd scanned and restored. A 50-year progessive photo journey through time, if you will. It just so happens he chose the exact same accompanying Louis Armstrong music that Bill chose.

It brought tears to their eyes when we played it for them (and tears to my mom's eyes the 2nd and 3rd time she watched it too). Very nostalgic.

I don't get that reaction from my parents. All I hear is gee, how young I

look, I can't stand it! They just look for themselves in the movie and it's

all Did I ever look like that!

Awwwwww! Speechless here

By sheer coincidece, Bill's choice of Louis Armstrong connects with The World's Fair because he visited The Fair and was a resident of Corona, NY which is adjacent to Flushing Meadows. Louis Armstrong rests in peace at Flushing Cemetery, Flushing, NY.

It is a delight to know he's being remembered in this way. Thanks, Bill.

Ray Dashner