Sign in to follow this  
Doug Seed

Underground Home Construction

I zeroed in on this from a recently posted photo of the Transportation Area construction. Kevin, can you give a higher rez scan of that section of the photo?

I zeroed in on this from a recently posted photo of the Transportation Area construction. Kevin, can you give a higher rez scan of that section of the photo?

Hi Doug,

Here's the best I can do...

post-3769-1221809911_thumb.jpg

Also, here's another aerial photo of the Underground World Home from April 1, 1964:

post-3769-1221810030_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps!

Kevin

Thanks Kevin.

Is it just me or does the concrete "basement" look smaller than you thought it would be?

I always thought that the Underground Home would have covered more square footage than that.

Part of the roof covering the actual underground part is blocked in those photos by the above-surface structure, so I don't think you're seeing the whole thing. Also, if you compare the size to things like trailers or trucks nearby it's a fairly good sized exhibit.

Yes, I will try to remember to dig them out when I get home. Feel free to remind me!

Hi Bill,

Thought I'd try reminding you again, now that you're at home...

Best Regards,

Kevin

OK, here are two booklets for you.

The first is the free pamphlet that was given away to visitors who toured the pavilion:

<a href="http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/booklets/underground-world-home-free.pdf" target="_blank">Underground World Home pamphlet</a>

and the second is the booklet that could be purchased at the pavilion or through the mail:

<a href="http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/booklets/underground-world-home.pdf" target="_blank">Underground World Home Souvenir Booklet</a>

I wonder what ever happened to Mr. Jay Swayze of Texas & his UWH Corp. I also wonder if he is related to Patrick Swayze also of Texas.

I'll bet they did not sell too many of them.

OK, here are two booklets for you.

Terrific Bill - Thanks for sharing these with us!

I'm not sure I could handle living underground like that - it would be like living in a bomb shelter!

Best Regards,

Kevin

Not being an "outdoorsie" kind of guy I think it was a reasonable idea for cold and hot regions.

The cooling costs in the south and the heating costs in the snow belt would be SUBSTANTIALLY lower, and one window wall certainly could face out of a hillside or whatever.

Sure looks like a pretty damned good idea for Tornado Alley, too, after seeing the events of last week!

It was a fabulous house as I remember it... at least my sister and I thought our parents should run right out and get one at the time!!