Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

Eastman Kodak Photogarden 1940 COLOR

Hi All,

Here is a slide of a Fair visitor taken in the Eastman Kodak Photogarden in 1940. There were experts available to assist you in getting that "right shot". Inside the exhibit were the world's largest color transparencies. enjoy! On the mural, from left to right, can be seen quick renditions of the U.S. Steel building, the Communications Pylons, Firestone, a Chrysler Pylon and what appears to be an updated version of the Westinghouse Singing Tower of Light, which would indicate this mural was either revised or new in 1940.

Best,

Billy

kodaknewexpsoureandadjusted3.jpg

Eastman Kodak Photogarden, 1940 New York World's Fair © EKL Image Collection

The jpg image has disappeared, so it's hard to tell if this is the right place to post this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EASTMAN-KODAK-NEW-YORK-WORLDS-FAIR-1940-OLD-VINTAGE-PHOTO-SNAPSHOT-M2673-/142071921249?hash=item2114257a61:g:HQAAAOSwbsBXko-S

Apparently, besides the miniature trylon and perisphere I think I remember from another post, Kodak had other made-up photo ops like this zoo cage with a "do not feed the animals" sign for visitors to pose in.

9 hours ago, waynebretl said:

One of the other photos shows the UN Secretariat building under construction. But it is cut off. Strange pic. Seems to not have a subject other than the undistinguished southern terminus of York Ave at Sutton Place. Also, it is taken from a boat. Queensborough bridge is just out of frame to right. Either shot left or right would've qualified as sensible composition. Wonder if this is just one of a panorama of pictures of the Manhattan shoreline.

Why would someone board a boat to take this single isolated shot deliberately avoinding a huge tower under construction and one of the prettiest bridges around? The iconic Pepsi Cola sign is at about 4 o'clock behind the camera. 

The more I think about it the more interesting subjects I realize this photographer studiously avoided shooting!

Hello Folks,

Here is the missing image. I restored it (how does it look now?) for that...Museum, along with a b/w not shown here shown but they opted not to use them.

Best wishes,

Eric

PS - 10 years since this original post!

KODAK photogarden © EKL 2014 for Charlie K.jpg