Sign in to follow this  
Randy Treadway

Play Ball!

Well, at least the Yankee uniform will always be with no name on the home and road. In fact, the Yankees are the only team in MLB that's allowed to have no name on the back of the road unis.

Better check what the Dodgers have been wearing the last two years. The joke has been that G.M. Depodesta got rid of anybody of consequence, so to disguise the fact that they were a team of 'no-names', they simply eliminated the names on the uniforms.

This past week, the Dodgers owner announced that the names would return on the uniforms in 2007 (apparently it's too late for 2006), admitting that it was a mistake to mess with tradition.

TheOnlyLivingBoyInStatenIsland, I think you might like the home-made sign I spotted deep down the third base line in that Shea Stadium picture...

64-09-24-29c_Shea_Stadium.jpg

Here is the announcement about the Dodgers uniform names, from the Dodgers web site:

Upon finishing his comments, McCourt returned to the podium and said, "We weren't going to say anything today, but when Vin Scully asks for something, you have to give it to him. So starting in 2007, the names will be back."

According to McCourt, both Scully and Dodgers vice chairman and president Jamie McCourt have been campaigning strongly for the return of names ever since they were first removed. After the press conference, Scully admitted that while he had been vocal about it, he believed that, "Jamie probably has a little more influence on Frank than I do."

The Dodgers removed the names before the start of the 2005 season in a desire to stress a team approach. At the time, McCourt also said that since the 2005 team was representing the 50th anniversary of the organization's first World Series championship, it was, in part, a salute to the Dodgers' heritage. The club first introduced player names on uniforms in 1972.

The change won't go into effect until the 2007 season due to Major League Baseball's requirement that all changes must be announced in advance of the season so that all materials, including photographs and merchandise, can accurately reflect the current uniform.

Here is what the current 'away' uniform looks like:

b2a5Cufm.jpg

TheOnlyLivingBoyInStatenIsland, I think you might like the home-made sign I spotted deep down the third base line in that Shea Stadium picture...

64-09-24-29c_Shea_Stadium.jpg

WOW! They came a long way (via NJ), since the VN Bridge was not to open that year until November!

"Here is the announcement about the Dodgers uniform names, from the Dodgers web site:

Upon finishing his comments, McCourt returned to the podium and said, "We weren't going to say anything today, but when Vin Scully asks for something, you have to give it to him. So starting in 2007, the names will be back." "

I can't believe Vin Scully would ask for the names to return! It's a pity they are going back on. The Dodgers were a shining light in leading the move back to nameless jerseys in the NL. The Mets did it on the home unis too in 1999 but quickly went back to names. I get the feeling that they were missing the $60 apiece they get from fans getting a name stitched on a jersey. I'm waiting for a traditional team to bring back stirrup socks. Cincinnati, can you hear me?!?!??!?!

How a ballplayer should look:

How a ballplayer shouldn't look:

bonds1.jpg

Pajamas or baseball pants? jeez!

One of the proudest gifts I ever bought for my late, forlorn Brooklyn Dodger fan dad:

BSME69H41_W.jpg

If only they'd return to those unis!! Maybe when the NYS Pavilion gets rehabilitated!!!

WOW! They came a long way (via NJ), since the VN Bridge was not to open that year until November!

Did the Staten Island ferry connect in any practical way with the rail lines out to Shea?

Well all that turbulence over names and no-names with the Mets and Dodgers still leaves the Yankees as the only stable team on the subject.

I hate the all-white Mets home uniform. Makes them look like Good Humor vendors.

Quite true, but the Red Sox did succumb to the bad fashion craze of the 70s with the pullover tops and beltless pants from 1972-78 (with the red caps as well). In 79 they went back to their traditional uniform but in 1989 or 90 the road uniform permanently added names on the back.

Generally, the teams that still have no name on the home uni, does have them on the road ones. I'm surprised the Dodgers were allowed to have no names on the backs of road unis the last year.

Quite true, but the Red Sox did succumb to the bad fashion craze of the 70s with the pullover tops and beltless pants from 1972-78 (with the red caps as well). In 79 they went back to their traditional uniform but in 1989 or 90 the road uniform permanently added names on the back.

Yeah, those unis were truly horrific. Nevermind the curse of Bucky Dent, it was the curse of the double knits!

Generally, the teams that still have no name on the home uni, does have them on the road ones. I'm surprised the Dodgers were allowed to have no names on the backs of road unis the last year.

I don't know if it is true anymore but teams used to get fined for not having names on the road unis. The Yankees had supposedly been paying fines for years. It's so stupid. They should look at it this way, no names on the road unis = more scorecards being sold.

On a somewhat related note, I say we add the following FMCP petitions to our NYS Pavilion rehab one:

1) The Mets drop the black drop shadow from their unis

2) The Mets keep the white alt unis only for Sundays.

3) The Mets drop the black unis and black hats.

4) Put the blue and orange steel plates back up on the outside of Shea and get rid of the neon 80's baseball mall action figures.

I'll gladly keep the names on the unis if we can get all that!

4) Put the blue and orange steel plates back up on the outside of Shea

Were those suckers steel? I thought they must be fiberglass or something reasonably light weight.

Although they're decidedly 50's/early 60's decor, I'd like them back too- the stadium just doesn't look right without them.

However, checkbooks being checkbooks, if they're seriously getting ready to move to a new stadium, don't look for much more than minor 'keep up what's there now' at Shea.

Maybe the new architects could be influenced to incorporate a 'tribute to the old Shea' into the new stadium. Other than the Cyclotron, what would serve as a better stadium tribute than those orange & blue panels?

Here's a nice World's Fair-era picture from the top of the New York State Pavilion tower:

79010.jpg

They always reminded me of 'party confetti'.

Speaking of the "Blue & Orange"...

I believe I once read that the reason the Mets colors were Blue & Orange (and White) was to pay homage to the two National League teams that formerly played in New York. The Blue is from the Dodgers, and the Orange is from the Giants.

Anybody know if this is true?

Best Regards,

Kevin

And here I thought it was to tie in to the two World's Fairs- both of which made use of blue & orange as their "colors".

Actually, I think I heard the same story about the Dodgers/Giants colors. I suppose it could be an urban legend, but who knows?

Were those suckers steel? I thought they must be fiberglass or something reasonably light weight.

Although they're decidedly 50's/early 60's decor, I'd like them back too- the stadium just doesn't look right without them.

However, checkbooks being checkbooks, if they're seriously getting ready to move to a new stadium, don't look for much more than minor 'keep up what's there now' at Shea.

Maybe the new architects could be influenced to incorporate a 'tribute to the old Shea' into the new stadium. Other than the Cyclotron, what would serve as a better stadium tribute than those orange & blue panels?

Here's a nice World's Fair-era picture from the top of the New York State Pavilion tower:

79010.jpg

They always reminded me of 'party confetti'.

Great picture! It looks like they were corrugated steel. Given the improvements they made to the stadium last year (message/video boards running around the whole ballpark along the pressbox level), huge murals....putting the panels back up couldn't be that extravagant. It is something that gave the ballpark its pop art look and made it truly part of the mid-60's Worlds Fair experience.

As far as a tribute in the new park: The sad thing is is that Shea is nationally ridiculed as a dump. Having been in Dodger Stadium and Yankee Stadium, I can't disagree too much with that. But having been going to Met games since Aug, 2nd 1976, I always thought of it as "my dump" and happy enough with it. I remember my dad taking me to my first game. I asked him "hey! what's that big globe there!" and he just said "That's the World's Fair". Naturally my next question was "What's the World's Fair?" Then I was looking out for the stadium. The only ballpark I even saw a picture of at that point was Yankee Stadium. I thought all parks looked liked that: serious, bohemoth shrines. I was on the lookout for something like that my first time to Shea. When my dad pointed out the blue & orange bowl, I thought "hey! that looks young and happening...like me!"

The irony is: with all the new "retro" ballparks, Shea actually for once looks unique and different. But yeah, I don't think you'll be seeing a Shea tribute in the new ballpark.

And here I thought it was to tie in to the two World's Fairs- both of which made use of blue & orange as their "colors".

Well, the official flag of New York City features both of those colors...co-inky-i-dink?

NYCFlag.jpg

Yes, the blue and orange colors were picked to merge the Dodger and Giant ones, just as the NY style on the Mets cap is the same as that of the Giants hat.

Shea's time as a state of the art facility is long past alas. The only reason it's survived this long is because it was the last stadium built in the 1960s that wasn't completely enclosed. Stadiums built after Shea that were totally enclosed all around and had artificial turf (St. Louis, Cincinnati, Philadelphia, Pittsburgh) have all fallen victim to the wreckers ball, and only because Shea in its natural configuration doesn't reek of a 70s time capsule that the impetus to replace it hasn't been as rapid as in the other cities.

and only because Shea in its natural configuration doesn't reek of a 70s time capsule that the impetus to replace it hasn't been as rapid as in the other cities.

I thought it was because the Wilpons are cheap! There are people I know at Turner Construction who have had to deal with Wilpon the younger on the new ballpark. It doesn't sound like it's been a picnic.

Certainly Fred Wilpon as owner hasn't helped, but I do think if Shea had been built six years later according to the model of the St. Louis-Philadelphia-Cincinnati style of "stadium", the demands for getting rid of Shea would be carrying greater reasonance.

Was this the same "Colonel Jake Ruppert" who owned the Yankees way back in Babe Ruth days?

The copyright on this bottle label says 1930, which if I recall right (not that I was around back then!] was prior to the repeal of prohibition, which is kind of strange since the label also said the tax has already been paid "at the rate prescribed by Internal Revenue..."

I guess Colonel Ruppert and Joe Kennedy must have been rivals in "the business".

Or.....maybe this was what today is called 'near beer', so that it didn't violate the prohibition laws?

Knickerbocker Beer was still around in the 50's and 60's, wasn't it?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...item=6257719744

13_1.JPG

Yes, that's the same Jake Ruppert who owned the Yankees, and yes, before Prohibition was formally repealed, they did manufacture so-called "near beer" during that period.

Knickerbocker was still around into the late 1970s. It was around then and the early 80s that a lot of longtime local beers started to disappear (Rheingold, Schaefer, Ballantine etc.)

Was this the same "Colonel Jake Ruppert" who owned the Yankees way back in Babe Ruth days?

From <a href="http://www.oldemarcomeetings.com/history.htm" target="_blank">http://www.oldemarcomeetings.com/history.htm</a>, discussing the history of a hotel :

"After Captain Collier, the Ruppert family, owners of Knickerbocker beer, the New York Yankees and the New York Nicks, made the Inn a sporting haven for select clientele."

Knickerbocker inicidentally was sponsoring the Giants the last couple years they were in NY. Here's a look at fans swarming the field after the last game of the NY Giants in 1957 at the Polo Grounds with the Knickerbocker logo adorning the centerfield clubhouse.

<a href="http://digitalballparks.com/National/Polo_640_14.html" target="_blank">http://digitalballparks.com/National/Polo_640_14.html</a>

Was the NBA basketball team named after the beer (as hinted at on that Polo Grounds sign)?

I was curious, so I checked the meaning of the word at dictionary.com:

1 entry found for Knickerbocker.

Knick·er·bock·er <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->( p )<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> <!--coloro:blue--><span style="color:blue"><!--/coloro-->Pronunciation Key<!--colorc--></span><!--/colorc--> (nkr-bkr)

n.

____a. A descendant of the Dutch settlers of New York.

____b.A native or inhabitant of New York.

2. knickerbockers Full breeches gathered and banded just below the knee; knickers.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[After Diedrich <!--sizeo:1--><span style="font-size:8pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->Knickerbocker<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec-->, fictitious author of History of New York by Washington Irving.]

There had in fact been a "New York Knickerbockers" baseball team among the first amateur leagues sometime in the 1840s, and I think that provided the inspiration ultimately for the basketball team name.

Knickerbocker was still around into the late 1970s. It was around then and the early 80s that a lot of longtime local beers started to disappear (Rheingold, Schaefer, Ballantine etc.)

Schaefer lasted at least into the 90s, and may still be available in the midwest. They were a car sponsor for many years at Indianapolis, usually with Josele Garza driving.