Sign in to follow this  
elpendo

7-UP Artwork

Here is a 13x20 rendering for the 7-UP Pavilion which I picked up at the Weiss auction last weekend.

post-63-1219964369_thumb.jpg

Now I see menus for the 7-UP International Sandwich Gardens all the time, but this is the first time I have ever seen this one. Was this a common brochure?

post-63-1219964422_thumb.jpgpost-63-1219964456_thumb.jpgpost-3769-1219974572_thumb.jpg

JP

Did we know that the official World's Fair Clocks around the fairgrounds were miniature copies of the 7-Up clock...authorized by 7-Up? That was news to me... but not surprising when you think about the similarities.

My uncle wired all of those clocks together. This reminds me I need to bug him to see if he has anything to share here. He's moved so many times since retirement I hope he hasn't been lightening the load.

Bill, I'm sure your uncle set new standards for wiring at the Fair, but somehow it's hard to imagine that he could stack up to this gal. I'd rather imagine her up on the ladder wiring all the clocks to the central master quartz movement.

64-09-25-28_Miss_Swiss_Watch_Movement.jpg

Switzerland Pavilion, September 1964

Those hideous pointy toed high heel shoes would make it tough on the ladder though. Maybe she worked from a hydraulic lift bucket.

Does anyone have a list of where these clocks were located? I have a slide showing clock #8 and am trying to place it.

Here's a view towards the clock if that helps.

nywf-clock-8.jpg

Thanks!

Bill

Bill, I found photo matches at every gate- the clock numbers match the gate numbers.

Clock #8 was located at the intersection of the Avenue of Progress and the Avenue of Discovery, just inside the Lawrence Gate (Gate #8).

Clock8.jpg

Here's a 1964 view from the other side of the Pool of Industry.

013_-_Bell_System.jpg

Your photo is looking down the Avenue of Discovery toward the clock and the IBM "egg" on the other side of the Pool of Industry slightly to the right. The 7-Up tower is seen slightly to the left. IF you look at a map, "splitting" the egg and 7-Up is a perfect alignment with the Avenue of Discovery.

The photographer must have been standing almost underneath the Van Wyck Expressway.

On the Bell System Pavilion on the right side of the photo you can see the tops of the dark ride chairs in the mid-deck area, which will help orient you to which side of the Bell Pavilion we're looking at.

And that's Rheingold on the left, behind the Glide-a-Ride.

Note:

There's a great "last photo" of Clock #8 in that batch of 1966 demolition slides.

quote: Clock #8 was located at the intersection of the Avenue of Progress and the Avenue of Discovery, just inside the Lawrence Gate (Gate #8).

Is there a listing and/or map somewhere of the gates and their names? I thought the names were historical, but "Lawrence" seems to be named for the street that the nearest parking lot is on - does it have any other reference to NYC history?

Here's poor old Clock #8, standing all alone by itself in 1966, waiting for someone to come and rescue it.

nywf-clock-8-demolition.jpg

Does anyone know if someone did come to the rescue and recycle these clocks? I found it interesting that so much of the rest of the infrastructure is gone - luminaires, etc. - but this clock is still standing there. Zooming in looks like th hands are missing, though, so I wonder if the movements had been removed with the shell awaiting demolition.

What the heck is the little kid carrying? Did they have posters for sale back then?

Don't know the answer to the latter question, but it does appear to be a rolled-up poster of some kind.

I have a high resolution scan of this slide and looking closely at what's in his hand doesn't reveal anything more. It's rolled up with the printed side inside where you can't see it, probably to help keep it from getting marred or scratched.

There is anther slide of this same kid standing in front of the Tower of Light, but in that picture he doesn't have anything in his hands. The slides are not numbered so we don't know for sure which one was shot first, but we would presume that the Tower of Light pic was first when he still didn't have a poster to carry around. Also one can surmise that maybe he picked up the poster somewhere between the Tower of Light and the backside of Bell (the location of the two slides), or at least in the Pool of Industry area.

G.E. perhaps? We know of at least two G.E. posters- one for '64 and one for '65- but did they give them away at the Pavilion?

As much as I hate to question the Oracle, um, Randy, can you double check your thoughts on where the clocks were located? Here's #2 next to the Bridge of the United Nations from the Transportation Area:

nywf-clock-2.jpg

and #9 near the Astral Fountain:

nywf-clock-9.jpg

While there may have been clocks near each gate (and I have shots of them at several gates) it would appear they were also distributed around inside the grounds. So, the quest continues for a list of them!

The brochure says there were 12 of them. Here are the ones I've spotted so far:

#1 - Bottom of ramp at Passarelle to Gotham Plaza

#2 - Next to Bridge of the United Nations

#3 - Peter Stuyvesant Gate

#5 - Meadow Lake Gate

#8 - Intersection of the Avenue of Progress and the Avenue of Discovery, just inside the Lawrence Gate (Gate #8)

#9 - Near Astral Fountain

Here's what I based my conclusion on:

Clock #1 at Gotham Plaza, near Gate #1 (the main entrance)

Clock1.jpg

Clock #3 at Gate 3

Clock3.jpg

Clock #5 at Gate 5

Clock5.jpg

Clock #7 near Gate 7

Clock7.jpg

It looks like much like the gates, if you plot them on a map they are numbered in a counter-clockwise sequence as you go around the fairgrounds.

Except for that #9 at the Astral- that's the oddball number. hmmmm......

There should be a #6 in the vicinity of the Hawaii pavilion too, not far from Gate #6. I'll have to go looking for that one.

According to the Ops Manual, I believe there should be two more clocks in the Transportation Area - one near GF Arch #9 and another one near GF Arch #10. Both of these are at either end of the intersections between the Avenue of Automation and the Avenue of Transportation...

Best Regards,

Kevin

"There's something strange in the neighborhood" folks....

The datestamp on the slide mount on this one is November '64 (somebody waited a while to send their slides off to the lab)...

...and it looks like somebody stole Clock #9!

Clock9-stolen.jpg

I did find another picture or two and confirmed that this location was indeed Clock #9.

June '64- several pictures- Clock #9 is there.

June '65- Clock #9 is there.

So apparently they replaced it after it got swiped.

Or maybe they just "sent it out" to Miss Swiss Watch Movement for a tuneup.

According to the Ops Manual, I believe there should be two more clocks in the Transportation Area - one near GF Arch #9 and another one near GF Arch #10. Both of these are at either end of the intersections between the Avenue of Automation and the Avenue of Transportation...

Best Regards,

Kevin

I take that back...

It looks like #2 (shown in Bill's posting above) and #10 were originally supposed to be near the GF Arches (per the Ops Manual) but in reality were moved to the Avenues of the UN North (#2) and UN South (#10) near the bridges over the Grand Central Parkway - by Ford and GM respectively.

Here's a photo of #10 by GM:

SwissClock10.jpg

© Bill Cotter

And here's another view of #2 by Ford:

SwissClock2.jpg

© Randy Treadway

Best Regards,

Kevin

There should be a #6 in the vicinity of the Hawaii pavilion too, not far from Gate #6. I'll have to go looking for that one.

Bingo- right where it should be, near Gate 6.

Clock6.jpg

Is that the "World's Shortest Gilde-A-Ride" next to clock #6?

Looks like the driver is wondering what happened to the rest of his train!

Those are Greyhound inspectors standing next to the tug, filling out a "missing tram" report.

As usual, one guy to fill out the report, one to keep the pencil sharpened, and another to supervise the other two.

I suspect Clock #4 might be over around Helldrivers, or the Maritime Park, or Greyhound, or Saucony Mobil- that area-

where we have few photos.

That would place four clocks in the Transportation area in a fairly neat "rectangle" (2, 3, 4 and 10). I may have to go into telephoto mode looking at grainy zoomed-in closeups shot from the NYS tower. Boo Hiss. Too many trees in the way.

I suspect Clock #4 might be over around Helldrivers, or the Maritime Park, or Greyhound, or Saucony Mobil- that area- where we have few photos.

I may have to go into telephoto mode looking at grainy zoomed-in closeups shot from the NYS tower. Boo Hiss. Too many trees in the way.

Yeah, I know what you mean...

FYI - The Ops Manual says that there should be a clock near the southern end of the Meadow Lake Bridge, but so far I have not been able to find it in any photos... ground-based or otherwise.

SouthMeadowLakeBridgeClock.jpg

Best Regards,

Kevin