Sign in to follow this  
magikbilly

Truly.....The Dawn of a New Day

Sorry. I have had enough image theft. Photographs like this are not common. In 16 years of collecting I have never seen another "panoramic" image like this of the entire Fair under scaffolding and snow - I am going to be using this material for a book - it would not do much good to post unique unpublished images in high res or without a watermark that will prevent theft. This is understood at the other sites I post to and is expected. I thought I was sharing something very special - something I have hesitated posting.

magikbilly

The picture is great, but the <!--sizeo:7--><span style="font-size:36pt;line-height:100%"><!--/sizeo-->GIANT<!--sizec--></span><!--/sizec--> watermark really ruins it for me.

I guess I scared him off. Not my intent. but I was commenting on a watermark that covered the image. Billy, I understand your concerns about image theft, but perhaps if you looked at how folks like Corbis mark theirs it would show how images can be protected without overly distracting viewers. Anyway, just my two cents, so if no one else is complaining bring it back and I'll shut up!

Hi All,

The New York World's Fair under both scaffolding and snow. A "panoramic" unpublished view, this shows almost the whole of the Fair and was taken from the area of the Boathouse looking roughly northwest, late 1938/early 1939. It comes from the construction album I have taken by Fair employees (as does my icon image). Besides all the drainage, Theme and Zone construction and first tree deliveries etc. is a photo of the "New York World's Fair 1939 Test Building" - something I have never seen before. When I get a chance I will scan it as well and post it. This construction image is one of my very favorites - enjoy And, no one else has ever complained to me about the watermarks I now employ. The last early construction image of the Lagoon I posted with this watermark was said to be perhaps the best I have yet posted. I try to let the image be visible without giving too much away. I have been contacted by several authors warning me that I had been giving away much of the value of my images from my other collectons by posting them online without watermarks and cropping etc. - so I now do as they do with all. I find this image to be quite unique - as I said - in 16 years I have not seen another unique construction "panorama", or anything like it, for sale. Maybe others have.

PTUconstructionPANORAMAcopyrightEKL2005.jpg

The New York World's Fair under construction with snow, c. 1938/39 © EL Image Collection

Best,

magikbilly

I understand your situation and greatly appreciate any 1939 images that you post. I am a bit unsure of the angle of this photograph, however. Where might the Aquacade and the 1939 NYS Exhibit have been located or would they not appear in this image? I guess I am not certain exactly where the 1939 boathouse is located.

I think that's the aquacade just to the left of the Trylon.

Hey wait a minute, if you continue on to just left of the Aquacade, is that the AMF Monorail station going up? Wo nellie!!!!

I understand your situation and greatly appreciate any 1939 images that you post. I am a bit unsure of the angle of this photograph, however. Where might the Aquacade and the 1939 NYS Exhibit have been located or would they not appear in this image? I guess I am not certain exactly where the 1939 boathouse is located.

Hi Jim,

Thanks, and I am glad you enjoy the images We are looking more or less northwest in the photo - the Boathouse is on the eastern shore of Fountain Lake. The Aquacade is larger than you think in the photo - and Randy is right - it is right under and to the left of the Trylon and Perisphere for perhaps an inch on the screen - you can see the 4 of the 8 towers sticking up in the air, and you can see right into it as well. The dark stepped structure right under the Theme Center is the edge of the Aquaccade. Further left, beyond the other side of the Aquacade and in the distance, is the disctinctive shape of Firestone. Imagine a staight line between the 1939 location of the Parachute Jump and the Trylon - the Boathouse would be located on that line on the shore of the Lake. In other words, the Boathouse is just behind and or to the left of the photographer.

Best,

Eric

Thank you for the clarification, Eric. That helps me to better understand that photograph. Isn't it interesting that the Boathouse was preserved when virtually all of the 1939 structures were so quickly demolished? Yesterday, I was looking at a web site for the Oregon Historical Society (which hosted a restrospective on the 1905 Lewis and Clark Exposition) and I noticed that every one of their photographs of that fair had a protective watermark on them. Your reasoning makes perfect sense in an age when it is so easy to lift a photograph from the internet.

Thanks again,

Jim

IF YOUR GONNA POST THIS, I RATHER YOU POST NOTHING AT ALL. My father had something special once.

He died and it was lost forever. and no one cared. sincerely Vladimir

Obviously I don't like a giant watermark either. This is not e-bay, where it is evident someone wants to earn a buck.

As time goes by,,, there will be very few people alive from that wonderful fair and it will not be very special anymore.

IF YOUR GONNA POST THIS, I RATHER YOU POST NOTHING AT ALL. My father had something special once.

Uhh...yeah. Righty-O.

I will regret this, but what the .... what do you mean? I can guess you don't like the watermark - what have your relations to do with anything? I am sorry for your loss and can relate as much of family, including my father, is long dead - but what are you trying to express?

Magikbilly

PS - Did you see the counter for this thread? 150 or more people seem to like the image just fine...almost 100 views in less than 15 hours I think.

Really cool

Thanks for posting it Billy

Regards,Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks!

Best wishes,

Billy

PS - anyone else have any construction to share?

Obviously I don't like a giant watermark either. This is not e-bay, where it is evident someone wants to earn a buck.

As time goes by,,, their will be very few people alive from that wonderful fair and it will not be very special anymore.

I am going to guess you don't post truly unique rare images online for discussion such as Lusitania the morning of her arrival in New York in Sept of '07, or unpublished images of Judy Garland performing at Carnegie Hall or Abbott & Costello hamming for a camera-holding-fan etc.. Images like these are worth money and sell books. In fact, someone contacted me right through PTU to use a photo for a book cover. I have sold individual b/w images for hundreds of dollars from this Fair. And I have received emails from people who have bought images from me that I unkowingly left posted somewhere online demanding I take them down as it affects the value/useability of the image. So, it is a real issue. Do I mark like Corbis or Bill? No. My choice - my photo.

I probably should not be posting them at all - perhaps you are right. Advice from the many authors, historians and other experts who either have written me or buy/sell photographs from me bear out essentially what you say - "don't post!" so maybe I will stop. I don't need this at all. I stopped working on an article I am finishing to scan and post this material - I am not here to waste time - mine or anyone elses.

Best,

Billy

Billy,I feel I speak for most of us who truly enjoy the pictures you post.I for one have no intention of any gain from looking at them other then my own enjoyment.It would be a great loss if you were to stop-SonnyT.

Billy,I feel I speak for most of us who truly enjoy the pictures you post.I for one have no intention of any gain from looking at them other then my own enjoyment.It would be a great loss if you were to stop-SonnyT.

Hi SonnyT.

I never meant to imply that any of my pals here at PTU would do so - but I protect myself now whenever and wherever I post. Learned it the hard way. I am glad you and others enjoy them - that is the sole reason I post them

Best and thanks,

magikbilly

I trust that posting them here on PTU isn't the only 'safety deposit box' that exists in the unlikely (we certainly hope) event of Magicbilly's untimely passing.

While waiting for the book to be written & published, most modern 'collectors' are wise to burn photo archives to CD (not trusting just the hard drive), and put the CDs in a safe place with instructions to an interested friend or family member, as to where the CD's can be found and what to do with them.

And of course the ORIGINAL slides or prints they came from should be suitably safeguarded as well.

I know that's what Bill and I do.

So Vlad- not too worry- although we can't see the unblemished original here, it doesn't necessarily mean it's not safely available somewhere else in case of an unforeseen circumstance.

Fair Collector Killed in Freak Accident.

Queens, New York

39 minutes ago

Well known 1939 New York World's Fair collector and Historian Magikbilly was killed today in a freak accident at Queens Flushing Meadows/Corona Park. Ironically crushed to death by a US Steel TM sign that inexplicably blew off a portion of the 1964 Unisphere while standing at the Spillway bridge, most of his body incredibly bounced into the Fountain of the Planets.

Obviously incoherent, among his last words upon being pulled from the water were an incomprehensible but long rant concerning "water marks" - clearly a reference to the injuries sustained in the accident, "a lounge","fake blueprints", something about using Formula 409 to protect oneself from "all those napkin rings" and a truly bizzare "last warning" about a dangerously ignorant creature apparently called a "clawfoot" or "kerphut", long rumored to actually be a Beta-cam-carrying-documentary-making-chupacabra. Magikbilly died clutching an unidentified 35mm slide while threatening onlookers with lawsuits should "anyone photograph anything!"

His body was immediately appropriated by the Parks Department, which subsequently misplaced it within 30 minutes. Upon hearing this news another collector, among those slowly gathering at the location, gazed into the darkening skies and commented to this reporter "he is with the tip of the Trylon now...". As of yet, memorial plans have not been made public, but it is expected no cameras will be allowed.

mb

That is obviously a fake story, as the body would have dissolved on contact with the "water" in Fountain of the Planets or because no rescuer would have gone in there after it.

LOL. The heck with the pictures, I love your writing and story telling Magik. Have a nice night and long life...

Sincerely Vladimir.

you too Vlad. Magikbilly

Fair Collector Killed in Freak Accident.

Queens, New York

39 minutes ago

Well known 1939 New York World's Fair collector and Historian Magikbilly was killed today in a freak accident at Queens Flushing Meadows/Corona Park. Ironically crushed to death by a US Steel TM sign that inexplicably blew off a portion of the 1964 Unisphere while standing at the Spillway bridge, most of his body incredibly bounced into the Fountain of the Planets.

Obviously incoherent, among his last words upon being pulled from the water were an incomprehensible but long rant concerning "water marks" - clearly a reference to the injuries sustained in the accident, "a lounge","fake blueprints", something about using Formula 409 to protect oneself from "all those napkin rings" and a truly bizzare "last warning" about a dangerously ignorant creature apparently called a "clawfoot" or "kerphut", long rumored to actually be a Beta-cam-carrying-documentary-making-chupacabra. Magikbilly died clutching an unidentified 35mm slide while threatening onlookers with lawsuits should "anyone photograph anything!"

His body was immediately appropriated by the Parks Department, which subsequently misplaced it within 30 minutes. Upon hearing this news another collector, among those slowly gathering at the location, gazed into the darkening skies and commented to this reporter "he is with the tip of the Trylon now...". As of yet, memorial plans have not been made public, but it is expected no cameras will be allowed.

mb

This was one of the most excellent posts of 2005. After telling Magik Billy that I did not like the watermarks on his pictures. He almost came back and just plain cursed me out. But Magik is better and more intelligent then that. So he does something that we can all learn from, he use's humor to deal with this situation. A classic, I still laugh very hard when I read it. Happy Holidays Magik. Sincerely Vladimir

MagicBilly came back from the dead by sprinkling a little magic trylon dust over the body, saying a 'Hail Whalen full of Grace...' three times, and threatening to drop him from the Lifesaver parachute jump tower if he didn't get up right that second.

Works every time!

"Hail Whalen"...you are killing me

Hi Guys and Gals,

just wanted to say "hello" and see how all are doing. I lost a color slide this week on eBay - color demolition. Unhappy Billy

Talk soon,

Billy

"Hail Whalen, full of Grace...LaGuardia is with thee.

Blessed art though among Fair personell,

and blessed is the fruit of Henry Dreyfuss, Democracity.

Holy Whalen, Father of the the Fair,

pray for those who decide the fate of the NYS Pavilion,

now and at the hour of its demise."