MitchS

Speaking Of Wf Trash Cans

Yikes Larry!- it comes with its own built-in Allied Maintenance attendant.

Definitely wouldn't be politically correct in 2005 'north of the border'. I guess they're not so sensitive about stuff like that in Guadalajara.

Did you know that under the Van Wyck Expressway, the Fair Corporation had a Trash Can Storage & Repair Facility?

And nearby was a 'Trash Can Wash Rack'. I kid you not.

It's shown on a master facilities layout in the Operations Manual.

They had a lot of stuff under the Van Wyck Expressway, back behind the Post Office.

Did you know that under the Van Wyck Expressway, the Fair Corporation had a Trash Can Storage & Repair Facility?

And nearby was a 'Trash Can Wash Rack'. I kid you not.

It's shown on a master facilities layout in the Operations Manual.

They had a lot of stuff under the Van Wyck Expressway, back behind the Post Office.

I'm not sure, but I think some of the NYWF trash cans ended up in Astroland in Coney Island. If that's the fact, at the end of this, the last season, I'm going to see if they'll sell me one.

Of course, if I get one, I'll have to figure out how to either obtain a real decal, or failing that, counterfeit one!

post-3701-1207596951_thumb.jpg

post-3701-1207597134_thumb.jpg

post-3701-1207597592_thumb.jpg

I would love to get one of those cans. I bought a decal from someone at the Adria show years back. I don't know if it is authentic.

Yep, those are undoubtedly WF cans.

I think it was BogFrame that was wondering what size the label was on the garbage cans.

Here's a photo I took at Canobie Lake Park. You can make out the square World's Fair logo label on the side of the can even with 43 years of fresh paint jobs over it!

Too bad I didn't measure it. Boy, that would be a sight, wouldn't it... me going over a garbage can with a tape measure and a notebook? I feel stupid enough just taking the photos in the first place! :rolleyes:

post-86-1211923084_thumb.jpg

By the way, those suckers were built to last! They are THICK steel and the park management tells me that they are the best trash cans they have in the park!

Hey Mike, there's a product for you. Duplicate the WF cans. Apparently, places like Canobie wish they had more of them!

They had a wash rack dedicated to these things back in '64 / '65. Can you imagine- a "jiffy wash" line for World's Fair trash cans? :D

http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/ope...al/sheet-52.pdf

This building was located back behind the Atomedic Hospital and the Post Office.

And they had an entire trash can repair shop under the Van Wyck Expressway

http://www.worldsfairphotos.com/nywf64/ope...al/sheet-56.pdf

I'll bet that's where the one got sent that was on fire in front of the IBM pavilion. :o

On this last drawing, on the legend, does anybody know what a Litter Shark is? (Item #17). I picture the old Saturday Night Live sketch where there's a knock on the door and 'who is it' gets answers like Candy Gram, and finally 'Land Shark', and it's always a shark that attacks whoever opens the door. :D ya had to be there I guess....

I wondered if they just painted over the decals and the photographs from Canobie prove that this is the case. Very interesting. Does Canobie still have some of the WF lighting fixtures today or have they been removed?

Canobie just opened a couple weeks ago for the season. I haven't been there yet this year, but as of last year they still had about 20 or so in use - and in pretty good shape. They also play music all day through the PA speakers in all of the lights.

Thanks. I would love to hear that music. I can still remember those fixtures playing music during the Fair.

Great - now I have to go to Coney Island just to look at garbage cans in person...My name is Yessongs and I am an addict....

I was just at the Astroland office today. I have to go back tomorrow, but they said getting the cans may be a possibility if this is the last season. I'll keep y'all informed as four of you have PMed me about getting a can.

I don't recall exactly what thread it was that showed different kinds of trash cans around the Fair site. I recall shots of non-standard ones at Pepsi and General Motors. Here's another:

british-lion-pub-1.jpg

british-lion-pub-2.jpg

Maybe we can convince Kevin to start mapping these!

The manager at the British Lion Pub was looking for something that would make 21st century time travelers stop for a drink. :) A sick sense of humor, those Brits.

205-060A_-_British_Lion_Pub.jpg

Looks to me like the official WF trash cans were mainly on the infrastructure paths and roadways. The individual food vendors seem to have supplied their own. Do we ever see WF cans under overhangs or "within the ropes" of an eating establishment? How about at the biggies like on the grounds of GM, Ford and GE?

Hey... what are those vending machines to the right of the British Lion Pub?

You're probably right about the Fair cans being on "public" areas and these oddball styles at food vending sites.

Here's a close-up of those machines. I can't tell what they were but someone will probably tell us!

british-lion-pub-3.jpg

It looks like they are small pole-mounted units out by the street., the sort of machine where you put a coin in and out comes a near-impossible-to-open plastic ball with a trinket inside.

british-lion-pub-3.jpg

Here's a close-up of those machines. I can't tell what they were but someone will probably tell us!

It looks like they are small pole-mounted units out by the street., the sort of machine where you put a coin in and out comes a near-impossible-to-open plastic ball with a trinket inside.

Same thing as they were over in the Belgian Village. :)

65-09-13-22_Belgain_Village.jpg

By the way, I noticed that guy giving the left-handed Hitler salute to passersby. B) Must have been Storm Trooper Day at the Fair.

I was thinking "Money of the World" but thought they would have a sign - but it seems they used them all up over in the Belgian Village!

Good eye.

FUNNY, I didn't realize the machines were small and in the foreground. I perceived them to be in the background and big like the Mold-a-Rama machines. :D