MitchS

Speaking Of Wf Trash Cans

Well done Randy!

I should add the piano hinge to the paper model...when I get a chance.

Mitch

Mitch, maybe you can include an optional "amazingly lifelike simulated refuse insert" to duplicate this scene.

This picture was taken on the Avenue of States, right next to the NYS Pavilion.

20_Alaska_Pavilion.jpg

i made mine today in protest of studying for my history midterm. it is sitting on my desk it looks so fun! i might make another one with thicker paper and carve the black part out and put mints in it or something lol

Canobie uses large plastic garbage cans with plastic bags inside the WF shells as was suggested above.

My guys told me that the WF cans are STILL the best, most functional and sturdiest cans they've ever had in the park. And they're easy to empty, too.

Let me tell you, they are made of some seriously heavy (thick) sheet metal!

Doesn't look like I'm gonna sqeeze in that trip to measure the cans this week before I go to meet everybody at the Fair this weekend!

More design information from the University of Trashology, photo archives division.

An interior "flap", apparently intended to help make sure that refuse tossed in would land in the 'removable can' inside and not dribble around the can onto the floor of the shell.

It wouldn't help in the case of an overstuffed can like in the picture above, would it?

006_-_Gotham_Plaza.jpg

By the way, how do you like the lady sitting there in the red coat, wearing a big brown rat on her head?

Let's all give thanks for amateur snapshooters who include so much "irrelevant" stuff!

Forty years later at Gotham Plaza and the old ladies have left the park.

The bench is still in the general area. The trees have grown and a modern lamp post is where the luminarie once stood.

And a once interesting World Fair Trash can has been replaced by a boring state park can.

Thank you for a great "then and now" set of photographs. The lower scene (today) is the very definition of forlorn.

Fantastic! I love it when there are trees to use as reference points. Pretty slow-growing trees for 40 years later.

Great stuff!

Thanks

Way back in 1964 people were realizing that these were indeed truly special trash cans. In this shot a woman can be seen photographing a worker as he washes one of the cans:

nywf-trash-can.jpg

I'm always amazed by some of the things people take pictures of. Then again, I'm one of those people myself!

Looks to me like the worker has got his head and arms stuck in the can and can't get loose, and is yelling for help.

And the woman, instead of coming to his aid, immediately (and correctly) identifies this as a super opportunity to capture a picture for the future internet.

And our humble photographer doesn't come to the worker's aid either, but sees the woman's response and identifies it as an even BETTER opportunity to capture a picture for the future internet!

....wouldn't it be cool if someday we discovered the very picture from that woman's camera?

....this woman looks kind of like that woman who took a picture of herself in that crazy mirror next to the Monorail Station escalator.

Which brings to mind a question. How many mirrors would it take for somebody to take a picture of themself with their back turned, like we see the lady in this picture?

That's gotta be the weird question of the day....

Maybe the lady taking the trash can picture is the lady taking the picture of the lady taking the trash can picture---

Remember?

There once was a lady named Bright

Who could travel much faster than light.

She went out one day

In a relative way

And came back the previous night!

And.... if you could travel faster than light, you could go behind yourself and take a picture of your back before you had time to move!

....wouldn't it be cool if someday we discovered the very picture from that woman's camera?

Not trying to spin this topic off on a different tangent, but I remember a show on the History Channel a couple of years ago about the Kennedy Assassination in Dallas, and they had collected all of the known amateur film footage of the tragedy and arranged them in chronological order (and inserted several still photos of that day at the appopriate points as well).

What fascinated me the most as I watched the program, was that at several times the photographers caught each other taking photos of Kennedy's motorcade as it went by - and then the film would switch from the first photographer's perspective, to perspective of the other photographer.

Interesting to watch, but very sad at the same time - because you knew what was coming...

Best Regards,

Kevin

I was correcting the colors on this picture and was wondering why someone would "pose" the trash can so well:

nywf-trash-can-2.jpg

Looking a little closer I spotted the photographer's wife/girlfriend WAY back behind it! He may not have been a great photographer in terms of composition but at least we ended up with a nice study of a trash can!

That's actually an amazing shot!

Is it POSSIBLE that the photographer noticed that the arcs of the fountains, the trash can AND the legs of the benches all matched?

Title this one Fair Forms

Im not sure thats his wife or girlfriend.It could have been someone that just stopped so the picture could be taken.Maybe she didnt want to be in the photograph

Regards,Dave

No, they were together. She shows up in a number of other shots, such as the one inside Kodak or on the NYS tower. I guess he could have been stalking her...

I guess he could have been stalking her...

Maybe the photographer was one of those two geeky guys from "To The Fair," who spent most of the movie chasing the two girls all over the fairgrounds...

Best Regards,

Kevin