MitchS

Speaking Of Wf Trash Cans

So, I'm home sick today, feeling kind of ill. But I had to come up with this.

I don't have enough energy to put this one together though. Hopefully someone else can give it a try and let me know where the problems are with it. Maybe it will work the first time!

Have fun.

Mitch

As close to scale as I could take measurements from a photo. I think its close.

From <a href="http://www.geocities.com/c318137/65-06-03-d_Monorail.jpg" target="_blank">this </a>photo

Oh, I love that photo. (Don't know why!) Loved it since it was first posted.

10 garbage cans for the people that aren't there.

Would that spot ever have been a bustling area?

You wonder why the Monorail was running too.

I couldn't resist the glue stick...

Funny looking at that picture- the official Unisphere logo decal didn't seem to be placed on the trash cans in a uniform manner as to height- they vary.

Hope you feel better quick, Mitch. Very nice work!

Thanks, feeling a tad better but it's work tomorrow either way!

Yes, I noticed that some trash cans must have had their logo affixed on a Friday and some on a Monday! I put mine on the paper model where the majority lined up...I think.

I guess the Quality Control team was off duty they day the decals got applied. Nice catch - never noticed it before.

As to the empty picture - I have a number of shots that show a completely empty Monorail passing by. That always surprises me, as it was quite crowded when I rode it.

Looking at the empty street with the empty Monorail made me wonder if the jet overhead was also empty!

The paper model is 4" tall and the radius is 1 3/4" (same as the width and depth). 0.4375 ratio.

How big do you think an original was? Use the same proportions.

We need more photos.

Randy, It may help a bit but we really need somethinf close to one of the cans that we know the measurement of. Like if we knew the size of the benchs.

Gentlemen, I am very impressed.

I have a bench, it is not a full lenght bench but will measure if you like.

<a href="http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1011178/mecbench1.jpg" target="_blank">http://webusers.warwick.net/~u1011178/mecbench1.jpg</a>

The fiberglass was replaced with stainless steel by an art dealer. What a dissappointment!

Mike,

I should be able to get you complete specs this week.

I'll call my friends at Canobie Lake Park and either have them measure one for me or I'll go measure it myself. I'll get the dimensions of the opening and all that stuff. I can even get a measurement of the WF Logo sticker on the side since the edges still show after all those coats of paint!

Wish I could find the photo I took of my wife standing next to one. I made her pose the day I shot all the Luminaires and garbage cans a few years ago. I could get a pretty precise height measurement from that shot. (one of her prouder moments, I'm sure)

It has a full length piano hinge on the front door. Right hand side if I remember correctly.

Maybe I'll take my vernier calipers and get you a thickness, too.

The grand old amusement park's closed for the season now. Just finished it's 103rd!

In case anyone missed the luminaire paper model

Click <a href="http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=543" target="_blank">HERE</a>

The real ones are big. Where would you use it?

What we need is a scaled-down version for the kitchen or garage. One that uses household garbage bags... or that you can just slide a smaller garbage can into through the front door.

Mitch, I think you should bundle these and sell them on eBay. Heck, if your friend could get the price he did for the itty bitty models of Greyhound and Hall of Euducation, you ought to get $25 for these at least. They're pretty cool!

Bill

Bill,

I'm not THAT industrious, unfortunately. I hope to come up with a few more but most other items at the fair were a lot more complicated than a luminaire or a trash can. I have some ideas though, I just need time!

Thanks- I hope all enjoyed

I recently got a large size softbound book that includes all the punch-out forms to construct a model of the Spain Pavilion. The book includes instructions. Seeing as how it's in mint condition, I'm not too keen on tearing up the book to try to assemble it.

But since everything is flat, in theory everything could be scanned and posted here, and everybody could assembly their own Spain Pavilion. The punch-out pages are all a sort of card stock, so I don't know how well everything would assemble if you were to substitute standard inkjet paper.

I also have the Spain Pavilion's assemble-your-own Spanish bulls, which also might be reproduceable, but THOSE are already punched out, so I'm not sure. I'm not sure that the Spain Pavilion actually had any live bulls at the World's Fair, but they did distribute these punch-out assemble-your-own bulls (five or six in a group).

When I get caught up (yeah right, when will THAT be? ) I'll try to share scans of them here.

Here are some scans of the Spain Pavilion booklet that I'd already saved on my hard drive, but if I recall right I think there's more pages than just these.

paper_model_kit.jpg

paper_model_kit_-_inside1.jpg

paper_model_kit_-_inside2.jpg

Here's what the bulls look like

3-D_cardboard_bulls_with_original_envelope_-_closeup.jpg

3-D_cardboard_bulls_with_original_envelope.jpg

3-D_cardboard_bulls-assembled.jpg

A bit of the interior structure revealed, in front of the Alaska Pavilion.

018_-_Alaska.jpg

I presume they had a smaller sized "can" which sat inside the enclosure and could be pulled out the front door and emptied in a dumpster or something. (as opposed to hanging a plastic bag inside the outer shell).