Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

New Yorks Past.....I'm feeling nostalgic today

I mispent the better part of my nights listening to Jean Shepherd on WOR when I was younger. It got me into a lot of trouble for being up to late and laughing to loudly. If you go to www.flicklives.com, there are links to a lot of Jean Shepherd's old broadcasts.

Boy, that was a treat. Thanks!
Somewhere in my landfill are a couple of the matchbooks with "Pal" on them that got you into the park free. Also, do my old eyes deceive me, or did I see something like a Swiss Sky Ride in the last clip?

Grand Central Station

nyc-grand-central-65.jpg

I'm not sure of the year but it's 1964 or 1965, as there are signs about "Visit Kodak at the Fair" and subway service to the Fair and Shea.

Ahhh, that is some sweet, sweet eye syrup!

In the GCT pic, can you tell what's in the display below, and to the right of, the Kodak Exhibit Center sign?

Times Square shot is breathtaking.

Very cool photos of Times Square and GCT. Do you have some more of similar vintage Bill?

The Times Square pic started a conversation at work today about Braniff Airlines and how shocking there orange colour scheme was! But nothing like the hostess uniform of the 60s.

BraniffW200.jpg

I do have others and have posted some in the past, and will add more as I work through them. That's the era I was growing up in, so it's fun for me to go back to "the good old days".

As a Production Manager for Exhibitgroup New York, some time latter, that Kodak sign in Grand Central Terminal fell under my supervision.

It is a 'Terminal' not a 'Station'. Grand Central Station is the name given to the area’s Post Office.

Here is a vintage photo of two young women and myself hanging in Time’s Square in April 1960. That is the famed ‘Camel Smoke Ring’ sign behind us, with a worker working on it suspended on a sling.

post-4-125060395921_thumb.jpg

Hey everyone I have not been here for awhile I have been crazed at work lately. I am glad to see one of my old posts being read again. Here are two views of the late great Rivoli on Broadway during reserved seat runs.

post-216-125062946242_thumb.jpg

post-216-125062949309_thumb.jpg

Thanks, Chairman.

Rivoli, Thomas Lamb, 2092 seats.

"In its middle years, the Rivoli Theatre was one of New York City's finest 'roadshow' theaters and was converted to 70mm Todd-AO with a deeply curved screen by Michael Todd for his feature, "Oklahoma!" which had its World Premiere on October 13, 1955. Other World Premiere's of 70mm films included "Around the World in 80 Days"(October 17, 1956), "The Big Fisherman"(August 4, 1959), "West Side Story"(October 18, 1961), "Cleopatra" (June 12, 1963), "The Sound of Music"(March 2, 1965), "The Sand Pebbles"(December 20, 1966), "Hello Dolly"(December 16,1969), "Fiddler on the Roof"(November 3, 1971) and "Man of La Mancha"(December 11, 1972)."

Ok

lets turn this around a little.I know were talking about things from the past in NY but lets keep a little of the Worlds fair in this .Ready______When the light posts of the fair were taking down, Who knows were they stored the light tops and posts for the worlds fair for a long time? Give up OK If your on the LIE heading towards NY city I belive the 108th street exit you will see a fire house on your right. Next to the Fire house was a big lot and in there were the tops and posts and a bunch of benches and other things from the fair.I remember asking my father what they were and he told me they were the lights from the fair.I know no big deal just figured I share <!-- s:lol: --><!-- s:lol: -->

I'll go you one better...that very fire house was built by the 1939 World's Fair Corporation in a deal cut with the City. The Fair wanted to have their own fire department but the city opposed the idea. So, the Fair bought five engines and built several buildings on the fair grounds to house them, plus that house on Horace Harding Blvd. The FDNY manned the trucks and established a separate/new/temporary Battalion to oversee these units. At the end of the Fair, the trucks and the fire house were turned over to the FDNY. The fire house is still in use today. See my post under the 1939 NYWF section, "Fire and Emergency Services" topic to see a photo of the 1939 NYWF Fireman uniform. In lieu of a firefighting force, the Fair established their own "Fire Guard" with these uniforms and badges. (I'd love to get my hands on either!) All Fire Guard were retired FDNY and were managed by retired FDNY Assistant Chief Thomas Dougherty.

Does anyone remember Lafayette? I used to buy all my stereo equipment from them. See the part of the ad with the components package for $269.50? I still have those decorette thin speakers and am using them in my den. They have unbelievable clear sound. My father bought them in 1965, so they are forty years old. Amazing how well made things lasted.

There is still a "Lafayette Drive" in Syosset. There used to be a Lafayettes clearance center there...one of the area's best kept secrets! You could get stuff from the stores at a BIG discount. I never walked out of there empty handed.

I just noticed the Howard Johnson's just to the right of the theatre in the first photograph.