Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

New Yorks Past.....I'm feeling nostalgic today

I don't know about American Graffiti being shot there, but I know for a fact "The Lords of Flatbush" was. That is where the screen cap that I posted above was taken from.

We actually saw the Lords of Flatbush at that drive in. I was 8 years old, and remember getting all excited when the scene came on showing drive in's neon facade up on the movie, while the real neon facade was actually on the opposite side of the very same screen. I have a CD somewhere with a several pictures of the Sunrise drive-in on it. As soon as I can find it, I'll post some more pics!

Those were great times,I remember some of the double features we saw-

Blazing Saddles/Where's Poppa?

Walking Tall/Poseidon Adventure

Lords of Flatbush/Godfather part II

Of course my baby sister and me used to love the playground in front under the screen, and the little dancing hot dog cartoon during intermission. Brings a sentimental tear to me eye!

the movies you stated bring back memories I remember seeing at that drive in soilent green and i think the movie was called

kellys Heros.

Is that the same drive-in that I posted a picture on PTU a couple of months ago, that was near a big bridge?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7334

Probably not- the NYC area probably had hundreds of drive-ins scattered around.....I think that one was northwest of Manhattan, on the New Jersey side, if memory serves....

Is that the same drive-in that I posted a picture on PTU a couple of months ago, that was near a big bridge?

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=7334

Probably not- the NYC area probably had hundreds of drive-ins scattered around.....I think that one was northwest of Manhattan, on the New Jersey side, if memory serves....

Hi Randy

No thats not the same. The one talked about above was located in Vallet Stream NY on Sunrise Hwy.

Randy the one you are thinking about is the one in Newark/Kearny.

I am still looking for my picture file with photos of the Sunrise. In the mean time, check out this video. The Sunrise showed

it during their intermission between films.

[url:1zctkz5s]

[/url:1zctkz5s]

Funny you should say that. Actually, we went to the Jahn's on Nostrand Avenue in Brooklyn. Wow thats the first time I heard of Jahn's Ice Cream in 30 years or so. Kitchen Sink mmm....

We went to Jahns which was by the Queens center mall queens Blvd.The Kitchen sink I remember.That was what my fatherinlaws thing.

talking about Jahns on Queens Blvd. Does anybody remember where the Queens center mall is today once stood an amusement park called Fairyland?

Fairyland sounds SOOO familiar to me. So does Jahns and the kitchen sink. Keep 'em coming you guys.

Speaking of movies..remember "Play Misty for Me" ?...saw that with my parents and my little sister and I'll never forget my mother jumping out of her seat and screaming when the bad guy jumped outta nowhere ..that was a classic moment for our family.

/Nancy

My favorite- Brennan and Carr's hot roast beef. Nostrand avenue and Avenue U. One out on the Island too. Both still going!

j4,

thanks for the link of jahns. great history and a stroll down memory lane!

where is the brenn & carn on long isle? never been there.

i owe you some well deserved bagels from ny when i go to hernado,fl in april

lefrak,

good classic, play misty....

how about, vanishing point ?

or the good ole ones:

the graduate, bonnie & clyde and so on. early 80's , marathon man.

Ok

lets turn this around a little.I know were talking about things from the past in NY but lets keep a little of the Worlds fair in this .Ready______When the light posts of the fair were taking down, Who knows were they stored the light tops and posts for the worlds fair for a long time? Give up OK If your on the LIE heading towards NY city I belive the 108th street exit you will see a fire house on your right. Next to the Fire house was a big lot and in there were the tops and posts and a bunch of benches and other things from the fair.I remember asking my father what they were and he told me they were the lights from the fair.I know no big deal just figured I share

I thought that 81-04 37th Avenue, Jackson Heights, Queenslooked familiar! I grew up at 77-12 35th Ave, and went to that Jahn's a couple of times a month! Last summer, when I brought my wife to the fairgrounds for the first time, I took her around my old neighborhood and was delighted to find Jahn's still standing! The food was as good as remembered as was the ice cream.

When I was 7, my family moved out to Northern NJ. There was a Jahn's at the intersection of RTEs 4 & 208 in Fairlawn that my buds and I frequented. I remember one time 6 of us went there, and fortified by "El Producto de Colombia", demolished a Kitchen Sink.

I miss Jahn's, but at least I know that the next time we visit the fairgrounds, we can go back.

post-3701-1215698429_thumb.jpg

Dad brought home Germanium Radios as fast as I could take them apart. They were cigarette box size AM receivers that needed no batteries and contained practically nothing in the way of parts. You'd attach an alligator clip to a rotary phone finger stop or the ground screw on an electrical outlet and listen with an earplug. They ran on, and were mostly comprised of, thin air.

Each one picked up different stations. Luckily one was Long John Nebel's. That and Rambling with Grambling were favorites. I'd lie in bed listening to one of them try to convince callers that the Empire State Building rotated so imperceptibly that few people noticed. Jerry Stiller and Anne Mera were guests and I recall her once telling some poor caller that she was a leper, to the stifled laughter of the others in the studio.

Years later I grew into WOR's Jean Shepherd, regionally known author of the hoax book, "I, Libertine", and not-well-enough-known writer of, "A Christmas Story."

Dad was a DC-3 radio operator delivering 3.2 beer and mail, Hawaii-Midway, during WWII. I remember going with him to buy replacement tubes for our huge, wooden radio and TV, having to match the pin alignment and other obscure parameters with diagrams at the store. I was often rewarded with a Matchbox car on these trips. I'm tempted to think it was an Abraham and Straus store but memory fails.

Lafayette Electronics? I remember around 1970 buying our first 'component' stereo between 5th and 6th Aves near Korvette's on 47th St. Was it Lafayette? Or maybe another prominent electronics retailer?

Re post #5: Bargain Town was a family favorite. Dad bought home a model of the Monkeemobile from there when I had the flu.

After school my St Vincent's classmates and I sometimes took the Lex Ave bus to 42nd and the WPIX/Daily News building to appear on a tiny grandstand on the Chuck McCann Show. I remember Chuck putting a mic in my face and me telling the joke about what's black and white and read/red all over, either a newspaper or a nun falling down the stairs, depending on how you tell it. I thought I was smart and put an existential spin on it. He looked at me oddly so whatever I said didn't portend a career in live television. I never saw him make that face to anyone again despite my looking hard during his subsequent 'man in the medicine cabinet', "Hi guy!" Right Guard commercials.

I was in the audience waiting room for Bozo the Clown, I guess also at PIX, watching whatever show was on the monitor. When they came to get us to fill the stands I refused to go because I wanted to finish watching what was on the TV! Bozo himself came out and leaned into me encouraging me to come along. If you've ever seen a clown close-up you'll understand why I definitely refused to go after that trauma. I sat there with my mother in an empty room watching what was now the Bozo the Clown Show on the monitor. How I got out of that one is conveniently erased from memory.

Re post #128 Bob McAllister lived in my nabe, the WNEW studios were a few blocks away. I once laughed and mocked him saying, "Look! A movie star!" when he and his family walked by me and my snotty friends (I believe I was with Slip and Sach that evening). A hundred feet away he shot a nasty look back at me and boy did I feel like a jerk. I still feel bad about doing that.

In retrospect, I see that radios work by magic, grown-ups are trying to fool each other, and the ones I met gave me dirty looks.

I was in the audience waiting room for Bozo the Clown, I guess also at PIX, watching whatever show was on the monitor. When they came to get us to fill the stands I refused to go because I wanted to finish watching what was on the TV! Bozo himself came out and leaned into me encouraging me to come along. If you've ever seen a clown close-up you'll understand why I definitely refused to go after that trauma. I sat there with my mother in an empty room watching what was now the Bozo the Clown Show on the monitor. How I got out of that one is conveniently erased from memory.

Toledean Larry Harmon, who created the Bozo we are all familiar with, died on July 3.

I think you might be able to order a copy of the film Bozo at the 1964-65 New York World's Fair from Fred Stern on the 20th.

My dad bought me a little transistor radio @ Lafayettes. It was red with a black leather case. I used to put it under my pillow and listen to the radio well after I was supposed to be asleep at night. Anyone remember Alex Bennett? And Alison Steele the Night Bird? I remember my mom listening to WNEW-AM all the time..The make believe ball room. The stereo radio was always on during the day..EVEN when she was watching her stories (hahahaha chrmn ;) )

Remind me the succession of stars on Wonderama..Sonny Fox (not our SonnyTFox)..then was it Bob McAllister?

It's sad that Larry Harmon died. my Bozo pez dispenser is one of my favorites. I told my daughters that I thought Willard Scott had been Bozo too, then I said maybe I was wrong that he was Ronald McDonald. We wiki'd him and found out he'd been BOTH. Rumor was that they canned him as Ronald because of his weight, they thought it wasn't a good image to have him be pudgy.

Ok, enough of random thoughts

/ Nancy

The obit in the paper this week said that Larry Harmon took the Bozo character into nationwide television syndication, and then decided to train a network of of over 200 people around the country to provide Bozo appearances at shopping centers, schools and so on. Among the people that he trained were Willard Scott in the Washington D.C. area (later he did the weather on NBC's Today Show) and current L.A. local television weatherman Johnny Mountain.

So this explains why people on TV trying to forecast the weather are no better than a bunch of bozos. :D

I have yet to hear mention of Bozo in the media. You'd think with his cultural significance they'd declare a holiday, like they practically did for George Carlin. Maybe he didn't curse enough.

lefrak,

I knew there was a missing link somewhere. Sandy Becker was the first host (I was aware of), then Sonny Fox and McAllister.

I hesitate to take space posting things that can be Googled but there are too many good and bad links to sift through and a little nudge

http://www.tvparty.com/lostnywonder.html

can save a fellow PTUer a lot of time. Half way down are recollections of Emmy winners lauding their early exposure to Wonderama. They sound too accurate to not be legit.

BTW, living in a cramped Manhattan tenement, my family forever explored the newly attractive suburbs for better housing. Lefrak City was one of the several possible locations my parents considered. Seeing your 'callsign' reminds me of grimly passing the comparatively spacious complex returning from our yearly vacation to Lake Winnepasaukee, dreading opening the door to our shoebox.

We stayed put til Dad retired, otherwise we could have been neighbors.

Hey all,

I remember listening to Alex Bennett every night. In fact now he has a show on Siruis Satelitte Radio every Thursday from 9AM till noon. And ah yes, the night bird, WNEW-FM every weekday night at 10PM.

I still listen to the radio at night to get to sleep. Not much good in the NY market. I can usually pull in WBZ Boston. WNEW was best-William B. Williams! I also listened to Long John Nebel & Candy Jones on WMCA-they make Art Bell (who I like) seem like an amateur!