Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

New Yorks Past.....I'm feeling nostalgic today

Hi Ray. Yeah I miss Bohack. We had one in my home town of Sea Cliff, N.Y. only one square mile, about the size of the 64 fair. Ray on your site with the pictures. I love the two posters of Sea Cliff and the 1939 Fair, Thanks. Now we go shopping at the STOP&SHOP in Glen Cove, N.Y. Hope your getting stronger everyday. Regards Vladimir

I won some Bonomo Turkish Taffy when I was on Wonderama just after Bob McAllister took over for Sonny Fox. What I missed was Clark's Teaberry gum and Adam's Blackjack gum. Now they're both back. I get them at Economy Candy on the Lower East Side.

Does anyone remember Lafayette? I used to buy all my stereo equipment from them. See the part of the ad with the components package for $269.50? I still have those decorette thin speakers and am using them in my den. They have unbelievable clear sound. My father bought them in 1965, so they are forty years old. Amazing how well made things lasted.

Speaking of Lafayette stores.......

lafayette_tapes_6_small.jpg

Laf1974.jpg

laf_62.jpg

Laf50th.jpg

la.jpg

I loved going through their catalogs! I usually couldn't afford any of it but did have fun dreaming of stuff and sometimes playing with it in their store.

My dad used to get those catalogs in the mail in the 60's and the 70's and they were fun to look through, although we couldn't afford most of that stuff. I didn't realize they had any retail stores.

My dad did buy a big tape deck in the late 60's, but it was a Roberts brand. It was very large, and it even had a stereo earphone jack (!). With a set of Koss stereo headphones (what would today be called 'noise-cancelling') we were living high on the hog. I think dad got the Roberts tape deck in the military PX, and he mail-ordered the Koss headphones.

I saw IT'S a MAD ............. WORLD at Cinerama on Washington St. in Boston. What an incredible movie to see on that screen!

My grandmother (the one I showed laughing with Nelson Rockefeller) used to buy Cinerama tickets for the whole family every time another movie came out! Then, after the movie, we'd all go across the street to "King of Pizza". That was cool because we never got pizza back at home... and there was mis-thrown dough hanging from the all the pipes that crisscrossed the ceiling! All fabulous entertainment for an 11-year-old!

<a href="http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/index.php?showtopic=5843&hl=grammy" target="_blank">http://www.peacethroughunderstanding.org/i...3&hl=grammy</a>

I saw It's a Mad Mad World in Cinerama, too, but in NY,NY! I still love that movie!

A nickel bar of BONOMO TURKISH TAFFY would last all the way through a Johnny Mack Brown western as I sat in the now defunct RIVOLI THEATER, Chicopee, Massachusetts. The Saturday matinee for kids cost 16 cents in the early fifties.

If you had a warm BONOMO bar, (it's size was about 3" X 6"), it would pull apart with a hanging trail of cream colored taffy. If you took a few home and put them in the fridge, they would crack up into pieces as you bent the bar.

The full story is here: <a href="http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/bonomos_turkish_taffy.asp" target="_blank">http://www.candyfavorites.com/shop/bonomos_turkish_taffy.asp</a>

In New England where I grew up, Bohack was an unknown. I think it was a New York region chain.

I do recollect the merger of a popular New England grocery chain called STOP & SHOP with A&P.

The name was changed to "STOP & P".

Ray

Sure, I remember Bonomo Turkish taffy, though, personally, I didn't care for the stuff. I was a chocolate covered jelly man. My father found the mother load, too - the Knickerbocker chocolate covered jelly factory on Canal Street!

Bohacks wasn't up in Inwood in upper Manhattan, my old hood. I think it was in Brooklyn or something.

I have about 250 mint condition plastic shopping bags from the old Scaturro supermarket in Queens, NY.

I remember Lafayette radio, too. I think I bought a short wave radio there once. I had a crystal radio kit, too, when I was little. It was pretty neat. It actually worked. So did my short wave. My father used to buy our electronic gear, like the 10" tv, at Bernie's Discount on 6th Avenue and 22nd Street , something like that. He worked nearby. Before the 10" tv we actually had a 2" tv, one of the first tv's in the neighborhood, Pilot brand, I think.

LL

Continued from the Collecting the Fair Topic, FOUND IT!!!!!!

j4sing,

I do not know that Times Square's Toys R Us was a theatre. I was there a year ago and remember the MC Escher stairs to nowhere and maybe a stamped metal ceiling above a cavernous interior and assumed it had been a theatre due to the lack of vertical supports. That and the animatronic T-Rex distracted me.

I'll be in NYC for St Pat's Day and, when recovered, will make a point to visit and investigate further.

Anybody want anything else ground-truthed while I'm in NYC?

Times Square Howard Johnson's?

I specifically made a pilgrimage there for their $3.75 or so happy hour mixed drinks before they closed. With a pint of beer in NYC going for $6, that price was bargain sub-basement.

(You can't get a 'mug' of beer anymore; everything's been supersized. I don't need the extra alcohol, calories or expense. Try asking for a mere 'glass' and they have to open a special cabinet and regard you with suspicion.)

HoJo's was Formica boomerang, incandescent bulb heaven.

McSorley's!

Now you're talking. Despite their two available beers being McSorley's Bad and McSorely's Worse, the place is in a perfect time warp. They seem to open according to a random schedule but just peering through the windows and at the building is worth the visit. I believe it existed when Lincoln (the man, the car, the Tunnel), spoke at Cooper Union around the corner. Women were not allowed inside until the 70s. That's Nineteen-70s.

That, and 53rd St and 3rd Ave's PJ Clarke's are both time capsules, and deliberately maintained as such. PJ's I'm told even surviving a purchase from a youngish actor whose name escapes me, but who at hearing you'd think would have torn it down and brought in Paris Hilton and all that goes with her. He kept it as it was. There's hope.

Modern bars are full of 'decor' ordered from warehouses to achieve a 'look'. These two places are furnished with wood unfinished by anything other than a century's worth of cigar smoke and boozy breath, worn silky smooth by elbows, and 'decorated' with items actually hung for reasons lost to memory, but which did not involve the word 'ambience'.

PJ Clarke's was used in the film version of The Lost Weekend but the clientele has moved upscale; Subway Inns are used for real-life lost weekends.

Does anyone remember Jet 24? It was a can of syrup pressurized with CO2 that you shot into a glass of water to make a fizzy drink. Available in mid/late 60s.

I have not been to [url=http://www.mcsorleysnewyork.com/home.html:15yx3asi]McSorley's[/url:15yx3asi] in a while. I remember ordering black and tans with friends. 10 of each they are so small. Once I went there in 1986 and there was an unbelievalble line to get in. The bouncer saw we had just come from a Mets game (we were decked out in our Mets t-shirts) and let us right in. Smart man.

Did someone say Bohack?

bohack.jpg

Wow that photo brought back some memories. I lived in Rosedale Queens and on 243rd street there was a Bohack supermarket and it looked just like the one in the photo same lights,same type store front. wow what a blast from the past.

there was a korvettes in west hempstead, and yes it was the place to buy albums.

i also remember the gertz in jamaica. my grandmother would take us there for parfaits at the lunch counter.

and yes, good ole' woolworths where you pop the baloon at the counter to see how much you paid for your bannana split !

where else can you buy a parakeet and have lunch?

a few more:

tss ( times square stores ) in oceanside, hempstead with the roof top parking

carrols hamburger in franklin square, peekskill ny

not to long ago, A & S (abraham and strauss) of hempstead and garden city, with the little know ticketmaster outlet inside!

as you travel check out the old howard johnson restraunts attatched to the hotels. are any of those still around?

i love the bohack pics!

oh, this is great keep it going

randy,

i think it was plaid stamps you were refering to. if i remember correctly, you put them in a book and then redeem them for gifts at certain levels. i used to give them out at the gas station i worked when i was a kid. then they went away, and we would give out drinking glasses for a fill-up

That was how they all worked- put them in a book and then redeem them for merchandise.

There were a number of brands that did that- you're right Plaid Stamps was one of them, and S&H Green Stamps, King Korn Stamps, and I'm pretty sure there was something called TV stamps that worked the same way.

I just looked it up- indeed there were TV stamps- which stood for Top Value.

They were replaced primarily by customer "club cards"- where instead of waiting to save in a little book, you now get an instant discount right there at the checkout counter.

Wikepedia says that musical parodist Allan Sherman (remember Hello Mudda, Hello Fadda, here I am at Camp Granada?) had a song "Green Stamps" (to the tune of "Green Eyes," on his album Allan in Wonderland, 1964) in which the singer describes buying immense quantities of unneeded groceries in the desire to collect trading stamps.

there was a korvettes in west hempstead, and yes it was the place to buy albums.

i also remember the gertz in jamaica. my grandmother would take us there for parfaits at the lunch counter.

and yes, good ole' woolworths where you pop the baloon at the counter to see how much you paid for your bannana split !

where else can you buy a parakeet and have lunch?

Do you rember Korvettes in Green Acres Mall valley stream? Downstaires they had a big toy dept and of cource the record dept.Or walk next door to Sam Goody and buy your 45s located on the wall rack.There use to be a hamburger place called burger and shake on sunrise hwy between Rosedale and valley stream.Some great places.And I think by Gertz was a Chock full of nuts

Do you rember Korvettes in Green Acres Mall valley stream? Downstaires they had a big toy dept and of cource the record dept.Or walk next door to Sam Goody and buy your 45s located on the wall rack.There use to be a hamburger place called burger and shake on sunrise hwy between Rosedale and valley stream.Some great places.And I think by Gertz was a Chock full of nuts

Since we are out on Sunrise Hwy, lets catch a movie~NDVD_037.JPG[/attachment:2xgdy0px]

tony,

yes i remember that one, but went to the one in w. hempstead all the time. i remember going there with my brothers friends to hang out and meandor!

j4,

oh yes, remember that drive in. don't start that can be another post subject, LOL

randy,

just laughed with the wife about the other "stamp" companies. forgot about them. did not realize there were that many.

btw, do you have any left, i am always looking for a bargain.

---------------------------------------

*** JUST REMEBERED ONE MORE: hermans sporting goods in green acres

No, I don't have any, but when my mom cleaned out my deceased aunt's house a few years ago she found a bunch of books of them in a closet. Wasn't sure what to do with them.

Since we are out on Sunrise Hwy, lets catch a movie~NDVD_037.JPG[/attachment:1nzzf3lo]

WOW sunrise drive in yes I remember.Do you know that drive in was used in American Graffiti,just a shot of the outside of the drivein was used.

OK..i actually hollered at my desk here when I saw the photo of Bohacks..that is a name that i would have NEVER been able to pull out of the cobwebs myself but instantly remembered when I saw the post. EJ Korvettes was the best place to get albums and I remember it fondly. A&S was one of my favorite stores..i liked it better than Macy's ( except for the one in Herald Square) and i DO remember the ticketmaster inside- bought a few tkts there. I am going to sift thru this entire topic, I am sure the bells will be going off in my head thru the whole thing!!

And McSorely's..I spent a bunch of ST Pat's there with my college buddies ..when they only had the one bathroom . Last May I walked by there with Jess's twin, who was almost 20 at the time..we took cell phone pics out front but didn't go in because of her age. I would have loved to go in and have one of those tiny beers with her. Remember the spicy mustard there?

/Nancy

PS..just looked thru the whole topic. Remember Chocolate Babies and Banana Babies candies? I was just talking about those last night w/ my husband. I ate a whole box of Chocolate babies as a kid and then I threw up..hahahahaha. He was singing the Good and Plenty song at dinner and we started talking about candies. Jess and I love the Violets candies. They taste like soap..hahahaha..I ordered them for her off the internet and sent them to her dorm. They're great cuz not too many people will eat them, so you don't have to share.

WOW sunrise drive in yes I remember.Do you know that drive in was used in American Graffiti,just a shot of the outside of the drive-in was used.

I don't know about American Graffiti being shot there, but I know for a fact "The Lords of Flatbush" was. That is where the screen cap that I posted above was taken from.

We actually saw the Lords of Flatbush at that drive in. I was 8 years old, and remember getting all excited when the scene came on showing drive in's neon facade up on the movie, while the real neon facade was actually on the opposite side of the very same screen. I have a CD somewhere with a several pictures of the Sunrise drive-in on it. As soon as I can find it, I'll post some more pics!

Those were great times,I remember some of the double features we saw-

Blazing Saddles/Where's Poppa?

Walking Tall/Poseidon Adventure

Lords of Flatbush/Godfather part II

Of course my baby sister and me used to love the playground in front under the screen, and the little dancing hot dog cartoon during intermission. Brings a sentimental tear to me eye!