Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

New Yorks Past.....I'm feeling nostalgic today

Pretty much no matter how you cut it, November in the great Northeast is chilly. Even if there was a warm day when one could sit on a beach, that water would be quite cold--far too cold to just sit in and relax whether it is Jones Beach on the Atlantic or Fair Haven on Lake Ontario. From Montauk to Niagara, November is a chilly month in NYS. Those women developed their summer memories a few months late.

Hey I thought of another New York thing, does anyone remember Martin Paint Stores? They sponsored Joe Franklins show for decades. In the late 60's early 70's they had this cheap commercial where a woman in an evening gown is having a dinner party in an hour and hates how her dining room looks. She then paints the room with a roller on a stick in full dress and even a tiara. The announcer talks about how Lady Martin is so thick you don't need to cover anything and it dries in 30 minutes. Plus each color has a matching scent (blue was Blueberry Pie, Gold was lemons) so the house smelt wonderful and not of paint. The commercial ended with her guests arriving.

I recall those television advertisements, and for some reason your post reminded me of another NY tv commercial: Mi-Lem Cocktail mix. I can still see that goofy guy dancing around and mixing the stuff and that annoying jingle in the background. I am amazed at how much I forget from the past.

As annoying as it might be you remember an odd product like Mi-Lem Cocktail mix 30 years later. I can't recall any new commercials yet can sing dozens of those wonderful jingles from my youth.

Mr Clean takes care of dirt & grease and grime in just a minute

Mr Clean will clean your whole house

And everything thats in it

Mr Clean, Mr Clean, Mr Clean, Mr Clean

Lachoy makes Chinese food SWING American

Winston takes good like a (click click) cigarette should

You've come a long way baby to get where you got to today

You've got your own cigarette now baby

You've come a long long way

Uh O Spaghetti-O's

The neat round spaghetti you can eat with a spoon

Uh O Spaghetti-O's

Schaefer is the one beer to have when your having more then one

(who knows the line that goes here I can't recall)

The most rewarding flavor in this mans world

For people who are having fun

Schaefer is the one beer to have when your having more then one

A real, honest beer drinkin' man

Wants a real, honest beer in his hand.

That's why we make Utica Club.

There's nuthin' phony about Utica Club.

it's a real, honest beer.

(circa 1975)

Meet the Swinger, the Polaroid Swinger.

It's more than a camera, it's almost alive.

It's only nineteen dollars and ninety five....

(circa 1965)

Jim wrote:

"I also recall the afternoon kids show on WPIX (channel 11 in NYC) that was hosted by a guy dressed as a cop ("Officer Joe Bolton," I think he was called). It included cartoons and a Three Stooges short. He was nuts about the Stooges and the highlight came when he actually landed a bit part in one of the Stooges 1960's feature films. Holy crap, he made it seem like the second coming. He also did some weekend anchor work on WPIX. Several times, he took his show to the World's Fair. I remember that so well."

Wow, this place is educational! I never knew that Officer Joe actually appeared on a 3-Stooge short! Which one? I'd love to see his shows at the Fair, too, but they must be long gone, probably never ever even taped at all. I used to wonder if Officer Joe owned channel 11. He was on the air so much. Every time I turned on ch. 11, there he was, swinging his night stick, introducing the next 3 Stooge short!

L

I've been finding a new resource for some rare views of early 60s NY. The TV series "Naked City" was filmed entirely on location in NY during that period of 1960-63 and has had a few dozen episodes released on DVD. Discovering them recently, I'm finding not only the stories interesting, but to see a slice of NY during that time period (one episode with a scene shot entirely inside Macy's at the time) makes it an even more fascinating time capsule. New York nostalgists should give these a look!

The 1948 movie upon which the series was based was terrific, and filmed on the streets of NY.

Hey I thought of another New York thing, does anyone remember Martin Paint Stores? They sponsored Joe Franklins show for decades. ...

I liked the Joe Franklin show - but I hated those annoying and constant Martin Paint "it ain't just paint" radio commercials!

This old commercial is STILL stuck in my head, though I forgot what they were advertising - some food store, I guess:

Give my regards to broccoli

Remember me to Harold Squash...

(Give my regards to Broadway

Remember me to Herald Square...)

Joe Franklin's Memory Lane website:

http://www.joefranklin.com/

Jim wrote:

"I also recall the afternoon kids show on WPIX (channel 11 in NYC) that was hosted by a guy dressed as a cop ("Officer Joe Bolton," I think he was called). It included cartoons and a Three Stooges short. He was nuts about the Stooges and the highlight came when he actually landed a bit part in one of the Stooges 1960's feature films. Holy crap, he made it seem like the second coming. He also did some weekend anchor work on WPIX. Several times, he took his show to the World's Fair. I remember that so well."

Wow, this place is educational! I never knew that Officer Joe actually appeared on a 3-Stooge short! Which one? I'd love to see his shows at the Fair, too, but they must be long gone, probably never ever even taped at all. I used to wonder if Officer Joe owned channel 11. He was on the air so much. Every time I turned on ch. 11, there he was, swinging his night stick, introducing the next 3 Stooge short!

L

bolton-stooges.jpg

I hated those annoying and constant Martin Paint "it ain't just paint" radio commercials!

Ugggh, "Martin's Home Decorating Centers, It Ain't Just Paint!". I remember hearing those over and over on WOR. My parents were too cheap to get FM radio in the car until the mid-80's and always listened to WOR!

Which reminds me..."Some day you'll own, some day you'll own, Sooner or later, you'll own Generals!". I can still remember all those ads during "Rambling with Gambling" or "What's Your Problem with Bernard Meltzer".

I remember it was a big thrill when we were heading to New England across the GWB, and we were stuck in traffic and actually saw "Helicopter 710" fly over and report the backup...it was a much simpler time.

Anyone who grew up in the NY area in the 70s and 80s could never forget the sight of the commercials for Crazy Eddie's. "See Crazy Eddie's now, his prices are IN-SANE!!!!"

The guy who owned the stores (not the guy who did the ads) later went to jail, I recall.

As an out of towner, these were the things I remember visiting my grandparents in the NYC area:

"Palisades Amusement park - swings all day and after dark! (Dum de dum dum dum) " When I moved to the NY area in 1980, I didn't realize that I lived only blocks away from where Palisades Amusement park stood. I could only imagine the increase in summer traffic.

The Courageous Cat and Minute Mouse show early in the morning (available on Netflix much to the horror of my family). That theme song got pounded into my DNA. I never realized it was created by Bob Kane who created Batman and Robin.

Yogi Berra doing Yoohoo commercials.

This was a walk down memory lane with these commerials. I remember Ajax - "New Ajax laundy detergent-stonger than dirt"

At the end of the Doors song "Touch Me" they said "Stronger than dirt". I always thought that was funny.

And Joe DiMaggio as Mr. Coffee.

The worst of all time: A tie for first place to "Please Don't Squeeze the Charmin" and that idiot, Mr. Whipple, and "Ring Around The Collar." I still won't buy Wisk because of that annoying jingle.

Also, Morris, that offensive cat, deserves an honorable mention.

Mary Ellen, remember "Ajax cleans like a white tornado"?

Jim I do remember that White Tornado ad.

For a while commercials were kind of flat but I have to admit to laughing a lot lately at the new commercials.

Oh it takes Fluff Fluff Fluff

to make a Fluffenutter

marshmallow Fluff

and lots of peanut butter