Sign in to follow this  
Chmnofbrd

New Yorks Past.....I'm feeling nostalgic today

The Queens Blvd store in Rego Park is a Sizzler now and the big Lafayette Clearance Center in Carle Place is a bunch of smaller stores. That one was right in the same vicinity as the Carle Place Korvette's on Glenn Cove Road.

Tandy did indeed own Radio Shack. Hence the designation TRS-80 for their first computer. They later spun Radio shack off as a separate company. I remember thinking what a strange mixture of merchandise they had before the spin-off - kits to make wallets, Indian headdresses and wood burning on one side of the store, with tubes, wires and soldering irons on the other.

I don't remember the Lafayette store, but I do remember seeing the brand on lots of equipment. I was more interested in the Heathkit part of the ad. I built lots of Heathkits in the 70s and 80s. Built a 25" color TV with ultrasonic remote control in '72. It worked up until a couple years ago. Also built an early personal computer from Heathkit in 80 or 81. It still works! Used an early DOS. 16K of memory and 8" floppy drive. It was good quality equipment unitl Zenith bought Heathkit in the mid 80s. Now all they make are motion sensor light controls.

Yep, my brother built his first set of ham equipment from kits by Heath. Worked beautifully. We also had an electronic indoor/outdoor thermometer from Heath, really hi tech for the time.

When I started in CB radio sales for COURIER in 1961. the Lafayette HE-20 was a popular CB radio at the time, but it had a very serious ignition noise problem when trying to use it as a mobile unit. I invented a noise inverter circuit that cost about 70 cents in components and installed them in literally hundreds of the HE-20's in New England for $7.50 each. It worked so great, word of mouth went all over the northeast and I had a continuing clientele coming to my CB shop in Farmington, CT.

Also popular, because of its price, the Heathkit GW-10 CB Transceiver had no RF stage so you could only hear local CB operators. Distant contacts were out of the question. So, I devised a cascode RF stage using two RCA Nuvistors and high Q RF tuned circuits. When installed, the sensitivity beat the then $400 Browning Eagle made in Laconia, NH.

...and I'll never part with my TRS-80 Radio Shack computer that I bought at the Radio Shack in Pasadena, CA. back in 1979 I believe! Bill Gates created the operating software for that machine while he was just a kid out of high school in Washington.

Ahh.... the memories!!

Ray D.

It's funny the things you find on the internet. On that Corbis site I found these pictures of Marlene Dietrich from her opening night at the Lunt-Fontaine Theatre on Broadway in 1968. My parents and both of my grandmothers were actually there that night. This is another one of those stories I heard a lot about growing up how when she left the theatre the crowd went so crazy she jumped on the roof of her limo and greeted people. Say what you want about celebrities, they don't make stars like this anymore. These were not kids and Miss Dietrich was already in her 60's. I saw a documentry once that had footage from this event and they said many nights the traffic would not be able to go down 45th Street because of the mobs. The Lunt-Fontaine is on the same block of the recently closed Howard Johnsons.

I can't believe this McDonalds commercial was shown in 1969, I remember it so well

<a href="http://youtube.com/watch?v=MP8D8AzvBtE&search=vintage%20commercials" target="_blank">http://youtube.com/watch?v=MP8D8AzvBtE&sea...e%20commercials</a>

Remember Shindig?

<a href="

" target="_blank">

There are so many great finds on YouTube. The 1968 Mustang commercial is great fun to watch and I remember it well.

I've been finding a new resource for some rare views of early 60s NY. The TV series "Naked City" was filmed entirely on location in NY during that period of 1960-63 and has had a few dozen episodes released on DVD. Discovering them recently, I'm finding not only the stories interesting, but to see a slice of NY during that time period (one episode with a scene shot entirely inside Macy's at the time) makes it an even more fascinating time capsule. New York nostalgists should give these a look!

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfK7daMCMc&search=1974" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMfK7daMCMc&search=1974</a>

Nothing to do with anything, but now that you've got me looking at youtube, I found this amazing little ditty from Soul Train, circa 1974.... Geez the 70's looked like fun. For those of you into electronics out there, you'll enjoy the synthesizers in this one. OK, thats my last unrelated post, promise. I have a feeling I'll be looking at youtube all day now.

I know what you mean. I have been watching old cigarette commercials (one with the Flintstones) and even watched an episode of the "Mothers In Law," a situation comedy directed by Desi Arnaz in the 1960's. YouTube is downright addictive. But it is going to be a great resource in many ways, I believe.

I've been finding a new resource for some rare views of early 60s NY. The TV series "Naked City" was filmed entirely on location in NY during that period of 1960-63 and has had a few dozen episodes released on DVD. Discovering them recently, I'm finding not only the stories interesting, but to see a slice of NY during that time period (one episode with a scene shot entirely inside Macy's at the time) makes it an even more fascinating time capsule. New York nostalgists should give these a look!

Thanks for the heads up, Eric! I remember that series, and will be getting those DVDs.

Keep those eyes peeled.

The footage is indeed fascinating. My favs are the Greenwich Village ones (especially the one with Burgess Meredith and lotsa cool beatnik stuff) and one shot in the Bronx featuring Sylvia Sydney. Keep your remote handy so you can pause and see street numbers and building/restaurant names.

The newest box sets are beautifully transferred and have all the bumpers and commercial billboards too!

I thought everyone might get a laugh out of this pic of some of my mothers friends at Jones Beach in 1963. It might be rose colored glasses but pictures like this make me think the world was kinder and simpler back then.

sunbathing1963.jpg

I thought everyone might get a laugh out of this pic of some of my mothers friends at Jones Beach in 1963. It might be rose colored glasses but pictures like this make me think the world was kinder and simpler back then.

They were obviously very happy that they only had to wait 10 more months for the world's fair!

Maybe it is just the date when the photographs were developed, but if the picture was snapped in November of 1963 at Jones Beach in NYS as indicated at the top, it could be surmised that the world was certainly warmer back then!

The Lunt-Fontaine is on the same block of the recently closed Howard Johnsons.

This is an amazing trip down memory lane. I have to admit to being a little out of place in this conversation. I wasn't born until 1969, so not only did I miss out on the World's Fair, but also many of these great memories. Even though I wasn't around then, I feel a lot of nostalgia for "the good old days". I have a general interest in history and New York City from around the 50's and 60' or so, so this stuff is right up my alley--even if I wasn't there in person.

As far as the Lunt-Fontaine, although it wasn't in the glory days of old, I did see my first Broadway show there. It was "Titanic: The Musical" in 1997. I also remember going to the HoJo's on the corner specifically because it seemed like such a cool old-school type of thing to do. I was so sad that they shut it down. You'd think they could have Disneyized it and dressed it up a little to be a "nostalgia-themed restaurant" or something... Oh well, that's progress I guess. I saw it last summer and it looked so sad and empty, right in the middle of Times Square. What a shame. They should move the empty shell out to FMCP, it would feel right at home next to the New York State pavilion.

By the way, I also wish that I could have experienced an Automat. That must have been so neat-o! If I'm not mistaken, isn't there one Automat building still standing in NYC? I know it's closed (and no longer an Automat), but if the facade still looks like it did as an Automat it would be worth a visit just to see it.

Chairman that is a neat shot of Ebbets Field. Do you know the year? I am surprised at how many cars are parked in lots around the stadium. I thought everyone in Brooklyn used mass transit back then.

And great shot of your Mom at Jones Beach. I have not been there since I was a kid. I forget why I was even there since we always went to the Jersey Shore. Is it a nice place today?

I noticed that the ladies in the water developed their film in November, too.

It speaks loudly to how our world has changed in 40 years. We couldn't stand to let film sit in a camera for 3 or 4 months, today. Oh no... we have to pick our prints up in an hour... but wait... that's too long, too, so we run out and spend another zillion dollars on a digital camera so we don't have to wait at all!

Ironically, now my photos sit in my digital camera for 3 or 4 months!!

By the way, I also wish that I could have experienced an Automat. That must have been so neat-o!

When we went to the Smithsonian Museum of American History last Friday, we got one of those booklets called MySmithsonian that Kevin recommended, and it says:

"....don't miss the Automat (in the Palm Court area on the first floor), which was located on Chestnut Street in Philadelphia in 1902. The nation's first waiter-free restaurant, it brought faster service and handled more customers in less time."

My wife has always been thrilled with the concept of an Automat but never seen one, so she wanted to see this one. But we looked all around that Palm Court area and couldn't find it.

Maybe some other exhibit has taken its place.

Maybe it is just the date when the photographs were developed, but if the picture was snapped in November of 1963 at Jones Beach in NYS as indicated at the top, it could be surmised that the world was certainly warmer back then!

The last Monday of that month many schools and businesses were closed, so it's possible some people could have gone to the beach that day. Unlikely though, as most folks were glued to their TV sets.

Chairman that is a neat shot of Ebbets Field. Do you know the year? I am surprised at how many cars are parked in lots around the stadium. I thought everyone in Brooklyn used mass transit back then.

And great shot of your Mom at Jones Beach. I have not been there since I was a kid. I forget why I was even there since we always went to the Jersey Shore. Is it a nice place today?

A friend sent it to me, I sent him a note asking if he knows the year. If he does I will post it. As to Jones Beach, yes it is still a beautiful place and well kept.